PDA

View Full Version : Tightening wheel nuts?

MattyH16valver
28-03-2006, 20:51
Bought a breaker bar from halford today to take my wheels off.....was putting my locking wheel nut back on and snapped it :roll: Will the nuts generally be tight enough if I do them up with the breaker bar?...or should I splash out £60 for a torque wrench? :shock:

28-03-2006, 20:59
Should be fine if they are tightly turned using a breaker bar or wheel brace.

I dont torque mine even tho ive got a torque wrench.

Also my torque wrench was only £30

dannyb1986
28-03-2006, 21:02
id buy a torque wrench, it peace of mind, because you can over tighten them and snap the botls, or you can strip the threads on the hub, exspensive repair either way, or under tighten them and have a wheel fall off!! and i think machine mart sell torque wrenches for under £20 anyway

Lunner
28-03-2006, 21:47
breaker bar tight is too tight, i do tehm up not even overly tight using a normal 1/2" drtive rachet, and check them with the torque wrench and almost non of them move

Mattie
29-03-2006, 01:32
Bought a breaker bar from halford today to take my wheels off.....was putting my locking wheel nut back on and snapped it :roll: Will the nuts generally be tight enough if I do them up with the breaker bar?...or should I splash out £60 for a torque wrench? :shock:

i did the same :(

only place i cd find 2 drill it out charged me £50 as well! :evil:

Purple
29-03-2006, 02:29
Definitely torque wrench the bolts.

I have over half-dozen broken bolts from air-gun tightening. And someone here also mentioned that the non-collared bolts are stronger.

big hp
29-03-2006, 18:10
Torque them up 90nm is the magic number

Justin..
29-03-2006, 18:21
id buy a torque wrench, it peace of mind, because you can over tighten them and snap the botls, or you can strip the threads on the hub, exspensive repair either way, or under tighten them and have a wheel fall off!! and i think machine mart sell torque wrenches for under £20 anyway

im living proof of that :oops: