PDA

View Full Version : Possible Clutch Problem??!

Caz 755
28-03-2006, 15:15
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had this kind of trouble too.....

I was driving along slowing down for a set of traffic lights, dropped the clutch to change down from 4th to 3rd and all I can say is the pedal "popped" under my foot....since then the pedal feels loads lighter, its struggling to get into and out of a gear and you can smell it burning, i understand this is probably a clutch problem, but what I dont understand is why....why would it go so simply? I wasnt driving it hard, and I was only doing about 35mph when it happened.

Ive towed it over to a garage for them to look at it, but I just wondered if anyone else has had anything similar....oh its a Valver mk1 ph2.

I intend to put a Group N spec clutch back in, if thats what the problem turns out to be, while its out they can uprate it, IMO.

thanks guys, Caroline.

Lunner
28-03-2006, 17:27
Sounds like clutch pedal rachet has slipped, either that or the cable outer where it locates into teh gearbox has partially broken, mine did this, but it only lasted about 10 uses before it completely went

Pedal machanism from reno is £23

bass_direct
28-03-2006, 17:58
It's the pedal ratchet thing, apparantly it's a bitch of a job to do!

stew
28-03-2006, 19:32
as lunner says it sounds like the pedal to me.

ive just done this job for the first time. it is a bitch to do, just takes time and is frustrating!

there is a good quide on here!

its harder to do with bucket seats in i found!

found myself lying up-side-down in the bucket seat, with my head in the footwell at times! :roll:

Lunner
28-03-2006, 22:14
First time it took me an hour, on back, arse in seat, head in foot well, feet on roof lol.

2nd time it took all of 30 mins

Gav
28-03-2006, 22:17
First time it took me an hour, on back, arse in seat, head in foot well, feet on roof lol.

funnily enough thats the pasition his mrs is in on fridays also.....mechanics, what a great job :wink:

cant spell btw :wink:

Caz 755
29-03-2006, 13:26
Ok, so the mechanic tells me it is the clutch....not the above pedal ratchet thingy!

so where the best place to buy an uprated clutch from???

cheers guys.

Swervin_Mervin
29-03-2006, 13:35
I'd get a 2nd opinion Caz. Or even just get the pedal changed first. It's a fraction of the cost of getting the clutch changed.

stew
29-03-2006, 14:42
agree with mervin!

do the easy / cheap things first!

pedal
cable

then get a 2nd opinion on the clutch itself

Its either an engine out, or drop the subframe and gearbox. Either way ive been quoted between 300 and 500 for it to be done myself.

Lunner
29-03-2006, 16:30
I could do a clutch change in a day now, £100 labour