PDA

View Full Version : Sticky calipers?

MattyH16valver
27-03-2006, 22:45
Had some trouble with my trip back from Bury last night....the brake sounds as though they were grinding badly on the front as the cars been sitting around for a few weeks.....could this be the calipers sticking? If so, is it an easy fix for a novice? :oops:

mon
27-03-2006, 22:57
could be just your discs were rusting .. if you drive it does this go away also the rears are worse i leave mine in gare all week and it does it reg..

i drive it for a few miles and it is ok

MattyH16valver
27-03-2006, 23:01
well...i only had the pads and discs on the front and pads on the back changed fairly recently, so I know it's not that....I drove 3 hours back from Bury and they were still like it this morning :cry:

Purple
28-03-2006, 01:43
Did mine in the workshop recently.

Replaced the front pads, piston seals and lubricated the guide pins. Was there when the mechanics performed the job and didn't look too tough to me. Took about 2 hours, including replacing brake fluids, grind-polishing guide pins and washing the car. Nice to have working brakes on the car for once. :)

Lunner
28-03-2006, 07:24
When you change pads pull the guide pins out and clean them and re-grease them, had to do this to theh one calipers on the RSi, could tell it has stuck cus it was fooking difficult to pull the bugger out

MAXIBOY
29-03-2006, 16:13
make sure you use red rubber grease and not copper grease though

Lunner
29-03-2006, 17:36
i just used multi purpose grease

mozzawily
29-03-2006, 18:27
My breaks on my williams were ALL siezed, springs were missing in the back discs and only the rust was keeping the pads in!! lol, I will get my car back from the garage 2morrow, the breaks were so bad that one of the caliper carriers snapped (sliding pins).

Braided hoses will be fitted tomorrow and then i get her back after 2 weeks!! Woo hoo cant wait apart from the HUGE bill that i will get, hope its worth it as my clio has never had breaks since i bought it 6months ago!!

MAXIBOY
29-03-2006, 19:15
normal grease will destroy the rubbers over time causing them to swell and seize

MattyH16valver
29-03-2006, 20:00
I used some copper grease on the sliding pins in the end, as thats all I have...is this ok? Only did one caliper in the end as the key for the locking wheel nut snapped on the other wheel :roll: