PDA

View Full Version : The Grand Mark

malbon
27-03-2006, 11:59
Well….owned the car for about 2 months now and am quite enjoying the little pocket rocket. When I was looking for one I tried to go for the top end of the Williams market to save me having to shed out on the thing ! These things never go to plan and if I'd have known the cars a little better back then I would probably have saved a bit of cash. Anyhow i've just hit £1000 on maintenance bills ! woohoo !

Both issues were present when I bought it. First was the play in the steering wheel that he said was 'always like that' . Ok - fair enough I said as I had already knocked some money off him. Second thing was a knock on the brakes - sounded like rattly pads and I got Green flag out which they confirmed. Turns out now that it was play I the hub which required me getting a new hub, hub carrier, ball joint ? and abs sensor :-( Third thing was something that developed from the rear. A knocking which turned out to be worn rear pads and a seized caliper.

Anyhow, arsed around trying to source these things second hand. Mat Brown nearly came good but the hub jobby was off a non ABS'd Williams :-( . So me ends up having to get all these things new from Renoo.

So after less than 6 weeks ownership I have had one bill for £350 for new Steering Column, heater and window fault, Cat putting back on and MOT and one for £650 for this hub jobby problem, ABS sensor and rear pads.

To sum it up tax is up in a few days and I want the de-cat putting back on to get the speed back !

Oh..the joys.

Zollo
27-03-2006, 12:08
:shock:

Jesus, that's a lot of money mate :(

In true WC style, they'll be someone along shortly to tell you you've been stiffed and you payed a lot more than you should have :roll: :P

stew
27-03-2006, 12:14
yep! :wink:

(im not saying anymore!)

Purple
27-03-2006, 12:15
The steering column does sound expensive. I have swapped mine twice and I don't think I paid more than 200 pounds each time (though it was a long time ago and I could be wrong). Anyway, you still singing praises about the car, so it can't be all that bad :wink:

Coops
27-03-2006, 12:19
yep! :wink:

(im not saying anymore!)

ditto, where theres a will theres a way! but at same time sometimes, **** it n fork out the cash is the order of the day! :D

Tommo
27-03-2006, 12:24
Could the steeing column not have been welded mate?

stew
27-03-2006, 12:43
it could have, for like 50 quid or less! Job done! but some people dont think they will like the feeling when its been done, so would rather spend 350 on a new one that is gonna break the same over time!
:roll:

the problem is that everyone seems to be able to get cheaper parts / more of a bargin. :wink: its the way the world works. people always like to think that they know better, and think that they can get things for cheaper / better.

in some cases they can but often it requires a lot more effort.

best thing you can do with these cars (imo and if you have the time/skills) is to buy the parts and fit them yourself. save soooo much not having to pay labour costs!

malbon
27-03-2006, 13:01
yeah...steering column could have been welded but my mechanic is an old guy..respectable business name..blah blah and didnt do that sort of thing which is fair enough. New ones on now so hopefully should last me throughout MY ownership of the car !

With the last service and the cost of the respray ( I didnt pay for these) receipts over the last 6 months till up to;

£2000 Full Prof. Resray
£1500 Big Service and bits done at HP
£1000+ As above - got him to service it at the same time (1k miles short of the already stupidly short interval !!!)

So thats £4.5 spent :lol: Absolutely ridiculous :wink:

Gav
27-03-2006, 13:09
count yourself lucky :wink:

wavy
27-03-2006, 17:05
had mine 6 weeks almost and just short of £800 so far not includin tax or insurance (im tryin to forget how much insurance is i get upset)

clutch / full service/water pump/dog mount /gearbox/cam n alternator belts/ cam tensioners

just hope i can get some miles in before summat else goes :lol: