PDA

View Full Version : Stripped vs Heavy point to point speeds

clowo16v
25-03-2006, 19:02
Did some measurements today (all done with speedo).

Heavy - Complete standard interior, 6x9s in parcel shelf, CD changer under seat, a few spanners and screwdrivers and bits of shit in the glovebox.

Stripped - Rear seats removed, rear side panels removed, rear seatbelts and C pillar trims removed, boot carpet removed, plastic bit inside hatch removed, roof trims removed. Still had CD changer, tools and spare wheel/jack.

1st test - 1/2 mile long bypass road with uphill gradient. Entered from rounabout at 30mph and booted it in 2nd and same point. Braked as I passed the same sign both times.

Heavy - 111mph
Stripped - 122mph

2nd test - 1/3 mile straight. Perfectly flat with new tarmac surface. From a standing start with no wheelspin both times.

Heavy - 79mph
Stripped - 86mph

3rd Test - 3 mile straight of bypass for top speed run. Steep uphill for 1/2 a mile then Steep downhill section for 2 miles with uphill braking area. Signs every 100m. Entered from roundabout at 30mph both times and accelerated at same time.

Heavy - 30-144mph - 300m before last uphill section
Stripped - 30- 144mph - 450m-ish before last uphill section.

Shows how much difference stripping the car makes. Tomorrow I will remove the front seats and get rid of the carpet and underlay along with the centre console and some of the dashboard. I will also remove the headlining, spare wheel and jack. Hopefully it should be a bit quicker again as all that stuff weighs about as much as I removed today.

While I'm on the subject which fuse do I pull out to deactivate the pre tensioners.

See ya

Matt

Lunner
25-03-2006, 19:38
Remove contre console and unplugf the silver box under there is the air bag control unit, makes the car think that it doesn't have an air bag

clowo16v
25-03-2006, 19:55
Thanks mate. Gonna try and get it completely stripped tomorrow then i'll smooth the bootlid if its dry. I need to get some cable aswell and make a tray so I can put the battery in the boot.

See ya

Matt

wavy
25-03-2006, 20:36
nice 1 thats a lot of difference
even more when u remove more :)

MAXIBOY
25-03-2006, 21:08
if your putting the battery in the car out it a battery box. acid hurts. also there room to mount it behind passenger seat for better weight distrubution

Martin
25-03-2006, 21:46
Seems to be a very big difference for a relatively small difference in weight

clowo16v
25-03-2006, 21:50
I think its because with the long 4th and 5th gears there always used to be a flatspot when changing into 4th but thats not there anymore. It definetley feels a lot lot quicker stripped out.

The battery will be in a box i'll make one out of ally.

Gonna try and find some studs next week so I can put the airbox back on as its still running the IK.

See ya

Matt

Lunner
25-03-2006, 21:53
Fancy nockign up an extra box while you are at it if its not gonna be too expensive for me to buy

Not fussed about looks as long as it does the job

clowo16v
25-03-2006, 22:06
Yeh can do mate i'll get it sorted over Easter unless you want one in polished stainless in which case i'll sort it next weeknd. You'll have to measure your battery so I can make it fit.

See ya

Matt

MAXIBOY
26-03-2006, 21:40
carbon look fibreglass ones 20 quid demon tweeks