PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing noise

Slithers
24-03-2006, 09:05
I get a recurring noise that is present as soon as the car is moving, the noise is present when im driving straight which and it gets worse when the steering wheel is turned to the left. When i steer right the noise dissappears.

Im fairly certain that this is a front wheel bearing on its way out but my question is which one? The noise sounds like its coming from the left hand side but someone told me that if the noise comes form the left its the right hand side bearing that is faulty, is this true?

Also as an after thought, could the bottom ball joints be responsible for this sort of a recurring noise.

Cheers

Matt

Moose
25-03-2006, 18:05
In my experience of wheel bearings with clio's, it is often the opposite side to the origin of the noise as to which one is knackered. But thats only what ive found it may well be different for other peeps. More than likely a bearing me thinks.
Hope this helps.
Alt best.
Moose.

FATBOY
25-03-2006, 20:21
well in my experience of a shot bearing on my car it was the opposite way round? so if your going straight or turning left the noise is bad? but if you turn right its ok? best bet is to get her jacked up at front and try and wiggle the wheel left and right if it moves on the hub then its the bearing shot! try both wheels, but if one is looser than the other then you know what it is!

Coops
27-03-2006, 00:09
jack the car up on both sides at the front with the wheels still on, not loosened or anything.

grab the top and bottom of each wheel n try to wiggle it top to bottom so push ion the top n pull out the bottom then other way quite quickly, look for more than about 1cm play or there abouts. also if one wobbles more under this than the other its that one thats badgered!

to check other bits get a mate to put a braker bar under the wheel n use the ground to lever the wheel up and down on its suspension, only move the suspension, dont lift the whole car up!! and get under the car while he/she is movign the wheel up n down to listen/look/feel for any abnormal movement in anything with rubber on it! :D