PDA

View Full Version : Look at these driveshafts!

danfloun
24-03-2006, 03:01
I use my little valver for work as she's a tad tatty these days. Actually, she ain't far off retiring, so when she needed new driveshafts I went on down to local factors for some cheapo re-furbed ones.
There was only these listed for the JB3 gearbox, the one on the right is the off-side shaft..
http://mmwood.co.uk/images/DSCF0059.jpg
http://mmwood.co.uk/images/DSCF0060.jpg

As you can see, the right hand side shaft is normal diameter and looks fine, the one on the left (near side shaft) is very thin and not the same as the original. The original should be the same thickness as the right hand side shaft. I should mention, that all the lenths are ok and match the old one. It is just the diameter of the shaft.

So the questions are:

1. Should I fit this shaft even though it is very thin?
2. What the hell is this shaft off, It ain't a valver from '95 that's for sure?
3. On the original Off-side shaft, there is some kind of lead balance around the shaft in the middle, however there is not such a thing on these! What is it for, and should it be ok without?

danfloun
24-03-2006, 23:43
Okay, no answers.
So another question then, does anyone have a valver using a near-side shaft (passenger) that looks as thin as this?

Anyone!

Dan

BRUN
25-03-2006, 01:58
a lot of recon shafts look like that mate, we get them at work

danfloun
25-03-2006, 13:08
a lot of recon shafts look like that mate, we get them at work

Ok but do you think they are ok to use?, I mean surely they are not as strong.
Although the car isn't what she was, I still push her a little from time to time!

BRUN
25-03-2006, 19:38
well in 3 years we have never had anyone come back and said one has broke, but, we dont sell that many driveshafts to be honest........its not something most people attempt on the drive at home

Purple
25-03-2006, 23:25
Although the car isn't what she was, I still push her a little from time to time!
If the driveshafts don't balance up. It will feel like driving around with wheels out of balance. Just make sure you have a return policy on the driveshaft, if it feels like that. I once had incorrect driveshaft installed for a few weeks while waiting for the correct one to arrive from Renault, France. There as no harm done as I was really gentle with it.

danfloun
25-03-2006, 23:39
If the driveshafts don't balance up. It will feel like driving around with wheels out of balance. Just make sure you have a return policy on the driveshaft, if it feels like that. I once had incorrect driveshaft installed for a few weeks while waiting for the correct one to arrive from Renault, France. There as no harm done as I was really gentle with it.

Ok thx man.
I think I'll go back on Monday and ask for a refund in that case. There supplier must have it wrong. I was looking at the 1.4 clio today and it was the same shaft, damn factors can't get nuffin right.
I'll maybe get some from GSF on Monday.
I was gonna repair the old lass but I figure I'll get a willi instead.

Andyvalver
26-03-2006, 23:31
Its a 1.4 rt shaft mate.

BRUN
27-03-2006, 01:16
be careful which one GSF give you aswell, they are just a factors like anyone else and might even get there shafts from the same supplier

danfloun
27-03-2006, 08:41
Its a 1.4 rt shaft mate.

arr ok cheers.
Maybe have to get some oem ones after all.