PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Issues! HELP ME!!!! - SOLVED!!!!

stew
23-03-2006, 22:15
Ok been having problems for the last 2 months or so. My radiator was leaking slightly, so i chucked some "radweld" in! Job done!

The coolant temp gauge then started playing up, going up and down every 2minutes or so when driving at steady speed on the motorway.

It has done this ever since!

So far i have changed....

1)Thermostat (my first thought that the thermostat was sticking!)
2)Header Tank (Old one got melted by my bonnet release cable - long story!)
3)Radiator - Old one was ****ed - Done today!
4)Coolant Temp Sensor - Done today!
5)Full coolant flush and bleed X 4 (over the past 2 months)

Ive been told its the CTS, airlocks etc.

So today ive finished replacing everything i can think of, and it still does it!

Any ideas?

Fecking pissing off!

Only think i can think of is the CTS wiring may be loose/****ed somehow! :? :oops:

Lunner
23-03-2006, 22:18
First big mistake

DON'T USE RADWELD....EVER!

MatBrown
23-03-2006, 22:35
As lunner said, avoid radweld like the plague.

Is the pipe going from the header tank to the stat housing clear?

Mat.

MAXIBOY
23-03-2006, 23:02
try flushing the cooling system out with a pressure hose. rad weld can do nasty things to the coolent water ways. whilst working at volkswagen had to scrap a golf engine block due to over use of rad weld.

stew
23-03-2006, 23:45
All pipes seem to be clear!

I ran a hose thru everything, and allowed it to build up some pressure!

Really is strange. Its like the temp is going up, then dropping again. To set markers each time!

To me it sounds like a thermstat problem, but ive changed that and still no use!

:roll:

MAXIBOY
24-03-2006, 00:11
nothing to do with the melting wires behind the dash. otherwise just run up from cold ,check the thermostat opens top hose get warm and the fan cuts in. if all working fine you prob have an eletrical prob or faulty temp sender. there are two or three on these. one for the gauge one for the ecu and one for the fan i think.

stew
24-03-2006, 01:03
mmm. stat opens fine, otherwise it would overheat.

replaced the gauge temp sensor (brown), the ecu one it white and the fan one is on the radiator itself.

fan cuts in fine. engine runs fine, just this temp gauge is pissing me off. mite investigate the wiring on the temp sensor.

everything is fine behind the dashbaord mate! :wink:

BRUN
24-03-2006, 01:08
where does it go up and down to ?

stew
24-03-2006, 18:51
between 1/3 and 2/3.

basically hovers around normal operating temp, just goes up and down all the time. not a steady level.

i know the temp will change evry so often, but it does it far too often on mine, and never used to!

BRUN
24-03-2006, 19:36
mine goes up and down a lot mate since putting a new OE stat in, from the same points as yours

stew
24-03-2006, 21:10
does anyone else have this problem?

it defo aint normal. they should stay pretty much bang on 1/2 way!

i still think airlock, or something but it cant be after all those flushes and bleeds! :roll:

Purple
24-03-2006, 23:28
between 1/3 and 2/3.
basically hovers around normal operating temp, just goes up and down all the time. not a steady level.
i know the temp will change evry so often, but it does it far too often on mine, and never used to!
At operating temperatures, my water temp goes up close to 2/3 when the fan is OFF. And goes back down to about 1/3 after the fan cuts in for a few minutes. That's pretty normal to me. The important thing for me is that the engine temp should always stays below 100C unless it is being caned.

it defo aint normal. they should stay pretty much bang on 1/2 way!
Never done that on my car. That's more like a Japanese car water temp gauge.

BRUN
25-03-2006, 01:59
well ive bled mine loads of times, and it still does it

Mattie
27-03-2006, 00:46
could it be a fan problem then if the temps change wen the fan cuts in etc as purplesun says?

stew
27-03-2006, 11:24
nope, fan works, and shouldnt kick in on normal running! only when stationary and the temp rises slightly!

this works as it should.

its really strange!

need some more ideas guys?

Coops
27-03-2006, 11:32
its no use fella, its got an incurable disease so ur gonna have to put it down.its a sad day! :wink:

Purple
27-03-2006, 11:48
nope, fan works, and shouldnt kick in on normal running! only when stationary and the temp rises slightly!
this works as it should.
I forgot about the cool weather you're having. Since your water gauge behaves almost like mine in 40C heat, it's probably not a good sign for for you with summer coming up.

stew
27-03-2006, 12:34
Ok guys. Problem is solved!

Just been off the fone to the guru (Nick @ hillpower). Needed to speak to him about a few things concerning a possible bottom end rebuild to go with my cams and headwork! :twisted:

He explained what the problem was - and i now feel ****ING THICK! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Problem - cold weather!

The water heats up...stat opens...radiator pumps cold water thru engine, stat closes....temp gauge drops slightly....water heats up slightly...stat opens etc etc.

This is apparently normal with cold weather. When it gets hotter in the summer, this wont happen as much!

Suppose if i had fitted a low temp stat then this wouldnt happen as much, but they are ghey and not recommended for best efficency/performance!

Cheers for the help anyway guys! Hopefully this may enlighten some of you, as it has done me!

BRUN
27-03-2006, 19:21
lol, yea mines exactly the same

Laine_16v
27-03-2006, 19:29
yeah mines like that. Warms up to 2/3rds when stationary, fan kicks in on the dot.

Temps will go to just over 1/3 then, and will stay there if i am driving (and not stationary)