PDA

View Full Version : Willy Conversion - Advice & Recommendations

mikeymikewakey
22-03-2006, 20:24
Hi Guys....

I appologise in advance for being very vague about what I'm looking for, but I thought it would be useful to other people looking to do a conversion aswell as myself...

I was wondering firstly, if anyone had any advice or any warnings about things that could go wrong, possible pitfalls, or things that may catch out the inexperienced or things to keep a close eye on that is reknowned for going wrong during the process...Anything will be helpful.

Also...

Im going for a TOTAL rebuild, its going to be a project which will be going on for AT LEAST 6-8 MONTHS.
So, it would also be helpful if anyone could recomend what upgrades I could make to the engine, because im aiming for at least 200BHP without a turbo. That comes much much down the line. This would be any decent manufacturers at good prices, any particular cams that work well with certain pullies etc etc, you get the idea....

MANY MANY MANY MANY Thanks in advance guys.

This is my first major project and im very excited.

Mike

stan
22-03-2006, 20:25
you know where to come! :wink:

mikeymikewakey
22-03-2006, 20:32
you know where to come! :wink:

LOL, yeah, cheers mate!

I expect a 1000 word essay on conversions. Its due monday.
If you havent done it by then, bring me an apple and you'll be okay :D

Mike

stew
22-03-2006, 20:49
Are you doing this yourself, or having the work done by someone?

Cams - Id suggest either Piper 265deg cams or AWT 262deg cams

Pulleys - Piper or AWT (If ben's actually got them in stock yet!)

Headwork - If your looking at near 200bhp then it will be needed. Hillpower, AWT, stan. Looking at around 400 quid upwards!

Engine - replace everything possible. Seals, bearings, tensioners, water pump....everything!

ITB's - jenvey or similar individual throttle boddies. This should push bhp past the 200 bhp mark quite easily. use wilder cams if going down this route.

Remap - you will require a remap or standalone/piggyback ecu setup with this to extract the best power outputs possible. Wayne @ Chipwizards is apparently the best place to go for mapping the williams chip.

Lunner
22-03-2006, 20:50
I'll be rebuilding my williams engine in a month or so, planning to do it over a week or so, so if you need to any advice let me know, will try to get someone to get step by step pics

MattyH16valver
22-03-2006, 20:59
I'm currently having my willy 3 lump conversion at the moment at LTR...this will hopefully be a good strong engine so I have not chosen to have a rebuild at some where like Hill Power for example. Really I need to test the car for a few weeks just to get a feel for it and see how fast it is...then next will be a chip and re-map. I may go for some cams eventually. How easy/difficult is it to do a engine re-build anyway?

white16valver
22-03-2006, 21:16
Would you need to do all that lightening and balancing stuff for that power?

Lunner
22-03-2006, 21:39
I'm gonna balence the crank, which involves weighing the conrods and evening the weuight out with either weld to add weight or a grinder to remove it

stan
22-03-2006, 22:58
thats not balancing the crank tho...

i can provide a dynamic balancing service...crank&pulleys&flywheel&clutch cover...fully balanced, with flywheel lightened £200

As for cams, i can supply Catcams camshafts and puleys at a nice price

mikeymikewakey
22-03-2006, 23:39
Are you doing this yourself, or having the work done by someone?

Well Ive had an offer from a good friend to give me a hand doing it.
My friend would do the work if I went down that road and Id just help out and pic kthings up whilst he did it - so Id particpate as much as possible.

Id send it to somewhere like hillpower or primaracing but Id sooner get a good friend or someone i know on a personal level - like on this site (such as stan ;) ) to do it - cos the labour costs for places like hillpower are massive. Plus they would charge extra for parts, where as id like to pick up bargains where i can from ebay etc.

A step by step thing would be great.

Just sounds so complicated with all this bal;ancing the weight stuff...What am I letting myself in for lol.

Mike

MAXIBOY
23-03-2006, 00:52
most of it is pretty easy and all the difficult stuff you cant do as you need proper kit (balancing lightening boring decking etc) lots of the rest is cleaning polishing trail building measuring building checking building measuring etc all labour intensive but not to difficult. give it a go. the most important tools though may be a digi camera and a good note book. take loads of phtos then you can post on here if you get stuck. and you will know where everything came from weeks later when you put it back together.

clowo16v
23-03-2006, 03:17
When I was 9 my dad gave me a 850cc A series engine and gearbox out of a Mini and told me to take it to bits. It's the best way to learn about what goes on inside an engine, and you can get engines really cheap.

I did my first rebuild on my own when I was 11 on another 850cc mini engine and that came out OK so it can't be that hard.

See ya

Matt

Lunner
23-03-2006, 10:17
thats not balancing the crank tho...

i can provide a dynamic balancing service...crank&pulleys&flywheel&clutch cover...fully balanced, with flywheel lightened £200

As for cams, i can supply Catcams camshafts and puleys at a nice price

I know the engine will rev up easier with these mods, but will it be a noticable difference?

2 live
23-03-2006, 12:55
When I was 9 my dad gave me a 850cc A series engine and gearbox out of a Mini and told me to take it to bits. It's the best way to learn about what goes on inside an engine, and you can get engines really cheap.

I did my first rebuild on my own when I was 11 on another 850cc mini engine and that came out OK so it can't be that hard.

See ya

Matt

u started late dint ya ;)

first rebuild i did was on a mini too......on a 1000cc tho. kept me out from under me dads feet while he was buildin the rs 3100. well.......took me quite a while longer than the rs build...was more intrested in that tbh...was so much bigger hehe.

clowo16v
23-03-2006, 19:54
LOL I was helping my dad with his 21 turbo aswell at that point as he rebuilt the engine in that at the same time as it kept doing headgaskets. Finally found out after the 3rd time it overheated that one of the unions on the waterbottle was absolutely solid with white chalky shit and barely any water was getting through.

Glad he taught me all that sort of stuff though as theres no way I could have kept the Clio going without it.

See ya

Matt