PDA

View Full Version : Track rod ends

1fast6
21-03-2006, 02:42
Had some fun with these on the car i was working on today. Both sides, once the nut was losened a tad the entire rod end bolt started spinning. This obviously prevented me from undoing the nut.

Question is, are the rod ends supposed to do this or is it an indication that the rod end is nackered. If so is the only solution to cut the nut off and get a new one?

david932
21-03-2006, 10:15
i assume u mean the nut that holds the track rod to the hub. tighten the nut back on if u can. clean the threads with a wire brush, use plenty of lube. if u have access to a air or electric impact wrench use this to zap it off

if this still doesn't work get a lever bar between the hub and the underside of the track rod and lever it upwards while undoing the nut

if that doesn't work get the ginder out and butcher the b*****d off :twisted:

Lunner
21-03-2006, 10:47
Supprisingly engough more or less exactly what i told you :wink:

You still ahvent' got that littel job done....tehre is no hoep in you doing 2 clutches in a week, can see i'll have to come and provive pointers.....faster! no not that nut, you spanner, that one! :wink: :lol:

1fast6
21-03-2006, 11:56
Believe me Tom i've tried everything possible that you suggested given the tools i had to remove it, and it wasn't happening. It also refused to do back up so i had to leave the rod ends loose on the old car. Obviously i can't do this on my new car hence the post.

Also, clutch is out of the old one ready to be fitted 8)

Lunner
21-03-2006, 15:51
Well done chappy :)

Worst comes to worst i'll drop my nut cracker down to you to use

lankyboy
21-03-2006, 16:14
^^^ sounds painfull

Clio_GTT
21-03-2006, 19:36
I've found that some of the track rod ends have a hex top to them, a 7mm spanner fits on top to counter hold them, others have flats on them which you can get some grips on. BUT easiest way is as above push the track rod end right into the hub to stop it spinning