PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox query

TriO`
20-03-2006, 13:17
The other day my gearbox lost 3rd 4th 5th and revers... does this definitely mean that i'm in need of a new one or could it be something more simple like the linkage or whatever (havent really got a clue about gearboxes) :)

anyway a couple of questions. I will be doing the swap myself so

1. is it worth me doing the cambelt at the same time?

2. Worth gettign a willy box ?

3. will i need any special tools ?

4. how much extra will it cost me to change the cambelt aswell, all in?

cheers, TriO`

Clio_GTT
20-03-2006, 13:20
Depends whether you are taking the engine out, if you are then you may aswell do the camblet, if not its an arse to change while the engines in the car.

No special tools needed, just time and patience

TriO`
20-03-2006, 13:24
time and patienceDOH :P

cheers, yeah i will be taking the engine out. any idea how much more the cabmelt change will cost me

Lunner
20-03-2006, 13:24
16mm ring spanner, most kits i've seen don't come with them.

Drop one side of the subframe, and loosen teh other 2 bolts and drop it out the bottem.

Migfht be worth swapping clutch at same time depending on condition of it.

Took me about 2.5 days fisrt time i did it, recon it would be put and new one in a day now tho

Lunner
20-03-2006, 13:26
time and patienceDOH :P

cheers, yeah i will be taking the engine out. any idea how much more the cabmelt change will cost me

Oh, in that case, cambelt, aux belt, water pump etc.

Cambelt with tensioners is about £100 from reno iirc, water pump £25 or so from bbpt, and aux belt a tenner from gsf

TriO`
20-03-2006, 13:35
cheers lunner.

sounds quite tempting to drop the subframe then... i just assumed it would be a total bitch.

is this the way you would recommend?

Lunner
20-03-2006, 13:37
i decided to do it that way, taken an engine out before and its a cunt disconnecting and draining everything, halfway through i was wishing i had taken the engine out, but now its all done, looking back on it i woudl defo leave teh engine in the car if i had to do one again