PDA

View Full Version : Williams dilemma

andybtsn
20-03-2006, 10:54
Hey

I recently bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4623847766&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:31

My original dilemma, was this car or a mint 205 Mi16, that had been totally rebuilt, from the shell, so totally de-rusted, and sprayed again, and then fitted with a 80k Mi16 engine. The 205 was in awesome condition and was going to set me back £2500, a price the same as the Williams above.

I have constantly asked opinions on the two cars and I decided to go for the Willy, have I made the correct choice do you think?

Apart from the "smoothing" the car seems/looks in mint condition, no rust I have been told,a nd the bodywork is all in good condition, the transfers are being removed for when I pick the car up.

More pics here:

http://www.fgperformance.co.uk/ (Click "on Bargain!")

I will be restoring to original condition, so doors, mirrors and bootlid replaced.

What you think then? Good find? It's a decent milage, and a "1", why do I feel bad for leaving the Pug out though? :?

I'm sure when I get the Willy, I will be pleased though :D

Gav
20-03-2006, 12:37
what number is it dood?

does look clean, good buy, i would have that over a 205 anyday

bargain imo...good luck with it

anyway its not how much u spend BUYING the car, its how much u spend FIXING IT :wink:

andybtsn
20-03-2006, 12:44
T'is the Willy 1, and number 358 :)

northy
20-03-2006, 12:47
looks very nice.

pugs are not a patch on a williams mate....one drive and u will see the reason.

Dancliovalver
20-03-2006, 12:50
my valver wipes the floor with MI16'd 205s so ur williams should kill one

andybtsn
20-03-2006, 12:50
Good to hear :D

Where is the best place to look to restore car back to former glory, need doors, tailgate, badges it seems!

Cheers!

Dancliovalver
20-03-2006, 12:52
mat brown will have lots of stuff, and i think winston may have some also!!

northy
20-03-2006, 12:52
ebay for the above panels...theres alot on at the min.

gtbloke
20-03-2006, 12:59
I doubt a williams would wipe the floor with a 205mi16 let alone a valver... 205 gti 1.9 is valver quick... mi16 205 would eat a valver :roll:

Dave (valver owner)

Dancliovalver
20-03-2006, 13:05
yes it may do to a STANDARD valver :roll:

But seriously their not all that fast TBH, ive been in a few and wasnt impressed with the overall speed, handling was very good as the 205 is renowned for it!!

Coops
20-03-2006, 13:06
Good to hear :D

Where is the best place to look to restore car back to former glory, need doors, tailgate, badges it seems!

Cheers!

u'll need bonnet n all cuz the recess for the front badge will of been smoothed over n it dont look right just stuck on, i tried!! :P

oh n new front fogs cuz they're gone n all!! :roll: :wink:

andybtsn
20-03-2006, 13:16
Hmmm, so not much things need changing :?

Just need to find a scrapped Willy in North Yorkshire. Or someone breaking one? :wink:

Zollo
20-03-2006, 15:57
You made the right decision getting the Williams mate 8)

But don't listen to some of these fools - you wouldn't have made the wrong decision if you'd bought the 205 either.

:wink:

J o n
20-03-2006, 16:00
You made the right decision getting the Williams mate 8)

But don't listen to some of these fools - you wouldn't have made the wrong decision if you'd bought the 205 either.

:wink:

depends who you listen to imo! if you want a car that's quick and handles amazingly well you made the right choice.

if however you wanted a car that is not quite as quick and handles well up until the point it loses grip, runs out of adjustability and imagination and kills you, then get the 205... :wink:

Zollo
20-03-2006, 16:07
handles well up until the point it loses grip, runs out of adjustability and imagination and kills you, then get the 205... :wink:

It doesn't run out of adjustability if you know how to adjust it properly :P

2 live
20-03-2006, 16:34
i always found the 309s handled better than the 205s tbh.

williams...obviously.....better than both.

the 205 i found too frisky for my driving style, i like to be chilled when driving, not canstantly wondering which hedge/tree/wall/car im gunna hit.

J o n
20-03-2006, 16:49
handles well up until the point it loses grip, runs out of adjustability and imagination and kills you, then get the 205... :wink:

It doesn't run out of adjustability if you know how to adjust it properly :P

that's not a good thing though imo, I just think the 100% to 0% grip thing was a bit pants, more so in that the chassis never seemed to give you that inbetween bit of handling to get some grip back and get the back end back in line... I'd not dare drive one too hard tbh, I wouldn't trust the car or myself driving it... there's far safer faster cars from that era, but granted, few if any looked as good.

Zollo
20-03-2006, 17:50
Like an air-cooled 911, though, a lot of people love them for the very reason some hate them. I see where you're coming from, but if judging a car was purely down to how well it accelerates and corners, then we'd all be driving around in Mitsubishi Evos and Audi Quattros. The 205s popularity shows this isn't the case and that you're a big girl's blouse

Dancliovalver
20-03-2006, 17:52
i personally love the 205 GTI, have done since i first started realising how fun cars were,

i just prefer the valver and some some reason the 205 seems to be bout £300-£500 more exspensive on insurance for me :?

J o n
20-03-2006, 18:04
i loved them until I drove one... what a let down... basically they suck imo.

fair point regarding the Evo, but the interiors are not the cleverest, nor are service intervals, otherwise I think 90% of people would actually buy them as older ones are getting cheap.

Zollo
20-03-2006, 18:17
You missed my point about the Evos. It's not their crap interiors or serving costs that stops people buy them. It's because there's more to cars than point-to-point ability. Some of the best driver's cars are in the world aren't that quick, and some of the worst are very quick indeed. It's the excitement, thrill, satisfaction, enjoyment from driving them that makes a good drivers car. And people have different ideas as to whats enjoyable - that's why we're both right :wink:

It just so happens that a lot more people and all of the magazines agree with me :lol:

J o n
20-03-2006, 18:37
fair play, in that case you can tell 2 live to stop trying to make me keep the Willy and stopping me upgrading! hehe

Zollo
20-03-2006, 18:53
Sorry, I don't get involved in disagreements about cars :P