PDA

View Full Version : Whats the possible highest bhp/torque you can get?

seanofnp
19-03-2006, 17:39
From a 16v engine 1.8 without turboing it? Maybe even the 2.0?

Any ideas what the highest possible you can get is?

edde
19-03-2006, 18:23
Depends how much you've got but I'd think 350hp is possible.
You have to decide how much standard stuff you want as after abit turbo/superchrging will be come cheaper.
Forged bottom end for high rpm work is big money (£6k I think) but you'll need it for massive rpm. Also you'll loose bottom end power and torque if you go all out.

Jamie.
19-03-2006, 18:25
skys the limits if ya pockets are deep enough...........

clowo16v
19-03-2006, 18:42
You could probably get a reliable 290-300bhp on throttle bodies but that would be a full steel bottom end, full race head, race cams etc. The problem with that sort of power is the £6k needed for a Sadev gearbox to handle it.

See ya

Mattt

MAXIBOY
19-03-2006, 19:48
i think about 300bhp but it would be very peaky and not suitable for road use. turbo is the way to go. also sadev boxes only handle 350bhp and 290 nm of torque. as yet the only gearbox for 400bhp is a rebuilt original.

Plattsy
19-03-2006, 19:54
i think with almost all possible mods youd be lucky to hit 300bhp...

i can think of the following mods:
Billet knife edge crank,
Forged rods
overbored block and forged high comp pistons
possibly a dry oil sump...
billet lightweight flywheel
custom pulleys
custom camshafts
daft ported ports for inlet and outlet manifolds
varied sized valves and reworked and flowed head (use megane head?)
custom throttle bodies or some big ones
custom exhaust manifold
custom exhaust system with large bore
custom airbox with plenty of heatshielding
bonnet vents to keep engine bay cool
uprated water pump and rad
uprated alternator and battery
custom remap and timing
raised rev limiter
paddle clutch
injectors
custom fuel rail
uprated fuel pump/modified
run on super unlead 99ron or use a mixture of racing fuel ;)
cant think of anything else and iv prob missed some stuff....

stan
19-03-2006, 20:12
to get decent power (C 300BHP), you are going to need to rev it way past 10k rpm...to do this, you will need some special cams along with fully uprated valve gear to handle the extra engine speed. the head itself will need some pretty good flow abitily aswell! and the combustion chambers will need to support flame propogation at a rate that will allow this sort of engine speed.
due to the fact that peak power is going to be way higher than normal ( i.e peak VE will be way up there) this will mean a Cr of say 15:1 wouldnt be a problem. obviously forged pistons will be required for this, with a decent crown pattern.
H section rods would also be needed to allow decent rpm. along with a light steel crank...all dynamicaly balanced...with the crank perfectly counter-balanced to the pistons/rods. obviously attention would be needed in the rest of the engine to allow sustained high rpm. and then decent engine control and mapping.

you would also need to get into proper engine development e.g. L/R ratios, pin offsets, bore/stroke ratio...and extensive head/cam development

MAXIBOY
19-03-2006, 21:06
cheaper to turbo it

FlamingMonkey
19-03-2006, 21:12
Whats the crack witht the BB Willy, thought that had daft power, anyone know what work its had done?

MAXIBOY
19-03-2006, 21:14
yes forged pistons and 20psi of boost turbo spec head gasket