PDA

View Full Version : Just another thing!

stew
18-03-2006, 21:07
Got back up the road 2nite from edin. 4 weeks off uni now, so got a few things planned!

go to open the bonnet, and the release lever felt different. seemed like the cable had stretched or something! anyway open the bonnet, have a little look around. everything seems fine, then i smell eletrical burning. disconnet battery terminal, and feel the bonnet release cable. its fooking hot. it must have shorted to the +ve feed on the battery! :roll: anyway the ****ing thing has melted a hole in my header tank!

looks like the car will be off the road for a few days already. pain in the arse like! :evil:

Martin
18-03-2006, 21:24
Thats a new one...lol unlucky I'd fix it using blue-tack

stew
18-03-2006, 21:35
anyone know if all header tanks are the same type etc>?

just gonna go to the scrappies 2morz and get one?

are all clio mrk1 radiators the same also?

i need to get that plastic cowling and a new radiator but dont wanna buy new unless i have 2!

Justin..
18-03-2006, 21:44
some have only 2 pipes unlike the valvers 3 on the header tanks

stew
19-03-2006, 19:07
well, today ive gone to the scrappies and got a header tank, and a bonnet release cable.

due to the short, the cable had got really hot, and melted, melting the header tank, however when i came to deal with it this morning the lever wouldnt work at all. it had seized stiff due to the melting and cooling process.

had to jack the car up and release the bonnet from underneath, which was a slag of a job.

tomorrow ive gotta fit the new header tank and replace the cable. i think the latter will take a while!

still dont know where the short came from either! :?

MAXIBOY
19-03-2006, 19:39
sometimes the alternator leads are routed across the front off the engine bay and are cable tied to the fan surround they can short out there if not check the engine earth straps are all in good condition other wise it will try and earth through something else

stew
19-03-2006, 21:28
all done!

it was something in the dash that had shorted out, onto the steering column, and the bonnet release cable was in contact with it!

really strange, but all working now! :roll: