PDA

View Full Version : R-tuner

Purple
17-03-2006, 13:23
http://www.fastchip.nl/show.php?lang=en&action=R-tuner

Anyone know anything about this? Any expert opinions?
I think it's not bad for the price (350Euro), if it does what it claims. Should be good for the ocassional re-tune. It connects via the diagnostic port, but the software seems a bit sparse. Is that all that is needed to tune/map the engine?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tywee/main.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tywee/ignitionmap.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tywee/fuelmap.jpg

stan
17-03-2006, 13:32
i had one, sent it back cos it wasnt compatable...dont let that put you off tho, they usually work!

does what is says on the tin...only thing i dont like about it is that you cant map in realtime...you have to use the datalogging software, which is a nightmare to read, then stop the engine...tweak...then re-run...etc etc

Purple
17-03-2006, 13:37
i had one, sent it back cos it wasnt compatable...dont let that put you off tho, they usually work!

does what is says on the tin...only thing i dont like about it is that you cant map in realtime...you have to use the datalogging software, which is a nightmare to read, then stop the engine...tweak...then re-run...etc etc
Cool! Can you eleborate on the incompatbility? Was it with the Clio Williams? (cos that's what mine would be used on)

stan
17-03-2006, 13:44
basically its compatable with all williams/16v...it'll be fine. i had it about a year ago (maybe more) and they (Henk) was using a different voltage range...consequently i couldnt pick up a decent trace, and couldnt communicate with the ecu. this has been remedied now i believe.

Purple
17-03-2006, 15:03
Thanks for the info, stan.

Just popped off an email to them about shipping and which kit being appropriate for my ECU with socketed superchip eprom. From what I can figure out, I probably need to replace superchip with their R-tuner chip, but not sure what they mean by ECU activation. Let's see what they recommend.

stan
17-03-2006, 15:08
yes you need to repalce the eprom you have with Henks. by ecu activatio he means, that when you first communicate with the ecu, a number is displayed on your screen. you then fone henk up with this number, and he gives you the relative code that the ecu requires for activation....basically bypasses encyption.

BRUN
17-03-2006, 15:36
BBPT sell R-Tuner, but at a more inflated price than you have posted

Purple
17-03-2006, 15:56
BBPT sell R-Tuner, but at a more inflated price than you have posted
I think BBPT provides in-country warranty and support for the extra premium. To be honest, the price on the fastchip website sounded too good to be true, as programmable ECUs usually go for much higher prices. So much so that I thought it might be an ineffective product until stan chimed in. I suppose they saved a bundle by using Renault's existing ECU. Let's see what sort of email reply I get.

Mattie
17-03-2006, 18:33
wont u need access to a RR though 2 program it properly?

stan
17-03-2006, 19:35
no u can do it on the road, using the data-logging software. **** bbt, Henk is a sound bloke, and can give all the support over the fone

Purple
17-03-2006, 21:45
wont u need access to a RR though 2 program it properly?
A proper RR remap done by a knowledgeable mechanic would still be the best possible option. Though I can still rent dyno time to tune with R-tuner, but not in real-time. As stan says, the seat-of-the-pants (drive, stop, tune, drive again) tuning is familiar to me from old carby days. I just have to learn to read the data logs for better results, that's all. IMHO, considering the price and flexibility, the R-tuner appears to be a good compromise between blind remap chips and full RR remaps.

kj16v
18-03-2006, 00:37
I had a Fastchip. The car ran because it comes pre-loaded with the standard map, but it wouldn't connect with the R-tuner software.
I emailed Fastchip about it several times but got no reply. So I returned it and got my money back. Not impressed