PDA

View Full Version : Tyre puncture??

Darren
16-03-2006, 00:48
Last night I pumped my tyre up to 32 psi
I tested the pressure again about 30 mins later and it was down to 30 and left it overnight and its gone down to 28.

So, I've establised that it's losing air somehow 8)

The tyre itself looks fine, it's a decent Cooper racing tyre, I'm really worried that my alloy might be bent or something like that?

The style of the alloy is in a way good, as the spokes stick out meaning it's near on impossible to kurb the rim as the middle part of the spoke takes it all.
So there is no damage to the rim.

How hard is it to bend an alloy or basically ruin one?

I've been over a few kerbs and potholes - The car drives fine, I don't know if I'd feel it if it was bent?

I can't see anything in the tyre to cause it to deflate, and the tyre looks to be fully seated on the rim correctly, so I can only think there is a problem with the actual wheel or hopefully valve?

Oh, and should a tyre place be able to look at if for free?

Martin
16-03-2006, 01:09
You got TSW Venoms? lol

I had a similar problem with my old willy wheels...they lose between 2-5psi a day. Got new wheels after a new set of tyres did'nt fix the problem

Darren
16-03-2006, 01:20
Nah mate they are Fox Racing alloys, You reckon it could be to do with the actual wheels?

northy
16-03-2006, 09:09
have the tyre removed, the alloy wheel cleaned (as the lip the tyre sits against will have corroded) repaint and have the tyre fitted....no more leaks.

Darren
16-03-2006, 14:01
Sweet was told that elsewhere too, was sweating out though as I think these tyres are about £70 a corner - can just about keep my 1400cc beast on a leash :P

Any idea what a tyre place will charge to remove and refit tyre? might aswell push the boat out and get a new valve put on for good measure.

Purple
16-03-2006, 14:16
Last night I pumped my tyre up to 32 psi
I tested the pressure again about 30 mins later and it was down to 30 and left it overnight and its gone down to 28.
I presume it was on the same tyre pressure tester? And about the same tyre temperatures?

Four psi difference is OK when measured between hot and cold, esp the front tyres.

If the wheel/tyre is leaking that fast, you should be able to see tiny air bubbles if you submerged the wheel/tyre underwater (the old bath tub trick :)).