PDA

View Full Version : Valver - Top Speed 110-120

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 17:12
Ok guys, niggling problem after little niggling problem so far.

Slowly but surely curing it thanks to your help.

I touched briefly on another topic that my car was running poorly at top end. Im very disappointed with it.

I had an RSi before this which had an "excellent" engine in it. Top speed was 133 - I was amazed myself, but it flew, it was terrific and wasnt even chipped. And yes, the speedo was correct.
However, this valver I have wont go above 110/115 on straight and 120 downhill....Any ideas whats holding me back?

Eventually Im gonna have a 2.0 willy conversion but for the time being (at least the next 6-8 months) ive got the 1800 lump.

Cheers Guys

Mike

Andyvalver
14-03-2006, 17:16
:shock: I can easily get past 110-120 :? Dunno mate tbh. Has it had a different box?

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 17:20
The gear box in it is a recon and is apparently in very good nick as a result.
Ive had it mentioned to put a scenic gearbox in it if im after top end. Acceleration would suffer slightly with shorter gear ratios but apprently would improve my top end. Id just like a standard 16v that does the top speed it supposed to do without messing with a different model gearbox!!!! lol

If you'd like more information - I can easily reach 110 at about 6800revs in 4th gear, and then i stick it in 5th and it just stops going and flattens off at 110 and it goes a bit more if im lucky, but very very slowly.
Im baffled.

Mike

BRUN
14-03-2006, 17:35
do you still have the cat fitted ?

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 17:44
do you still have the cat fitted ?

I removed it the other day, this is what has allowed me to do upto 120. Whilst this was on, i cudnt get over 110 at all.

Mike

Andyvalver
14-03-2006, 17:45
You tried resseting the ecu? :?

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 17:47
You tried resseting the ecu? :?

How would one do this? And what does that really make a difference?

I had the ECU out the other day and unplugged it all cos I tried swapping with a chipped ECU, unfortunately the new ECU didnt work cos a part of it was fried.

Mike

Andyvalver
14-03-2006, 17:51
removing the battery or disconnecting the ecu resets it. You have already tried it then. Never mind.

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 18:03
Ahhh ok, thanks for the suggestion anyway matey.

Anymore ideas anyone? Please dont tell me ive just got a shite engine lol

Surely there is a cure or some reason why its not performing to its potential?

Baffles gone in the shitty scorpion backbox ive got on it?? The backbox is about as big as my engine, its huge....If thats gone, maybe Ive lost alot of back pressure at top end?

Mike

arj256
14-03-2006, 18:10
Has it been serviced recently?
Check your airfilter etc, may find your not getting enough fuel so could have a blocked fuel filter etc.

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 18:17
Just occured to me, maybe i misunderstood when I was asked about if i have a different box on. I thought you meant gearbox, but if you didnt, and you meant the air filter....

Then I have a 16v Green filter on it, and theyre are BIG!
Would i be better with a standard one? Is there actually any benefit on the valver to gettin a different filter or induction kit?

Its had alot of new bits put on it recently, like cambelt etc etc.
Its had new NGK plugs yesterday, ELF competition oil change in last 1500 miles with filter
I havent actually checked the fuel filter yet - could that really make such a difference to its top end performance...wow.

Many Thanks

Mike

Clio_GTT
14-03-2006, 18:41
mine hits 135 in a flash with a knackered engine. summit up there

2 live
14-03-2006, 21:43
what size wheels u got?

BRUN
14-03-2006, 22:04
your induction kit wont be causin it mate, at those kind of speeds you will be getting some serious airflow in through the front grill so it wont be affected

to reset the ECU leave the battery disconnected for at least an hour, longer if possible

Loz
14-03-2006, 23:08
what size wheels u got?

don't think his wheel size will be the problem, i've got 17's and can get 135 (on a private road or course)

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 23:30
Ive for the standard valver wheel and tyre size...

195/55/15 isnt it?

So it aint that....

ACTUALLY, a thought thats just occured to me.....

Whats the minimum speed your gearbox likes you to do in 5th gear?
Ive never known a car where I can do 30-35MPH in 5th gear without the engine noise going really deep and it monaing to change to 4th.
My old RSI wouldnt look at below 40MPH in 5th without groaning deeply.
My valver does 30-35 in 5th with ease, is that normal?
I mean, top of 2nd is like 60, maybe a little over, 4th 110...which is also normal i think...and when i change to 5th the revs do drop, to about 5300 which is normal...but i can go above 6000 revs at all and i struggle to reach that, even though the engine doesnt sound like its struggling.
im confused.

Thanks

Mike

stew
14-03-2006, 23:35
sounds normal-ish to me.

im running the jb3 box on my hybrid (as do many others)

mine will run to around 140mph (nearly the limiter) on a straight.

somehow i doubt most valvers will do 135mph unless downhill. i could be wrong...

remember the speedo's are often out by a bit!

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 23:41
remember the speedo's are often out by a bit!

Yeah but even if that were the case, for it to be out by at least 20MPH?
And even if that was he case too, my rev counter doesnt go anywhere near the limiter in 5th.

Mike

Martin
14-03-2006, 23:48
deffo sounds like summut is up I presume you checked all the obvious stuff like plugs, leads, coil, fuel pump, filter etc? My williams was similar when I had moisture in the plugs

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 23:55
Well i definetly need a new lambder sensor, cos i took it off the other day, gave it a clean and WD40'd it and then I gave it a good shake again and theres a tiny shaking noise, like a filament in a light bulb sounds when its gone...so i reckon the coil spring has gone in that - so im getting a new one of those.
Im yet to check the fuel filter...
The plugs have been done, oil filter and oil done.
The coil I havent checked and Iwouldnt really know what to check with the leads. Its not misfiring and it starts fine.

Hope this info may be helpful.

Mike

Martin
14-03-2006, 23:57
weird as a beard

mikeymikewakey
15-03-2006, 00:01
weird as a beard

My thoughts exactly....If it aint resolved by the time I check EVERYTHING
then Im stuck.
And i really dont know who i could go to, to investigate it.
Theres gotta be a reason why.

THE ENGINE HAS ONLY DONE 80K TOO!! LOL

Mike

Martin
15-03-2006, 00:01
only one solution 2.0 it :wink:

mikeymikewakey
15-03-2006, 00:03
only one solution 2.0 it :wink:

Thats coming in 6-8 months when I can afford an engine.
I would love that, my car has already got the williams 2.0 bagdes on the door strips, ready for it lol.

Mike

stew
15-03-2006, 00:37
slightly off topic....but you got any pics? looks like that one off ebay a while back...

Sticking calipers?
Air filter need cleaning?
Service - oil and oil filter and plugs
Fuel filter?
Re-set ECU?

Basically go through everything....

ive found with these cars...most havent been properly looked after by enthusiasts, and a lot of small things need replacing.

Good places to start are :

Service (Oil, filters)
Ignition (HT leads, plugs, dizi, rotor arm)
Check the condition of the brakes, especially the rears
Check exhaust for blowing (this will effect your overall performance)

Good luck... 8)

Purple
15-03-2006, 01:05
If it revs smoothly at high rpm, my suspicion would be restriction in the exhaust system. But if engine starts to act up when revved high in any gear, my guess would be an electrical-related issue.

BRUN
15-03-2006, 01:52
dont put WD40 on your lambda !........or anything for that matter, anything at all

it definitely needs replacing now, they are very sensitive things mate, as soon as you get it out the box it should be fitted straight away, your not even supposed to touch the end with your hands, nevermind spray it with things

mikeymikewakey
15-03-2006, 08:39
It is the one from ebay Stew, and of course I can put some pics up...what pics were you wanting? Engine bay? And All Sides of the car?
Im coming to FCS so you can have a good butchers there too.

I cant believe that about the Lambda, the MOT guys told me to do that to my old fiesta when it failed emitions - I did it, and it worked lmao!!
MY lambda was fooked anyway but its more fooked now then lol...

It revs fine and smoothly in high gears, it just doesnt go any further than a certain point.

And thanks for that stew, youve given me lots to do now lol.

One thing I have noticed is that when I move the car very very slowly I can hear contact on the rear brakes. It doesnt stop the car and itsnt heavy contact, its like the pad is always touching the disc and it has had new pads and (apparently disks aswell) in the last 1000 miles.
My dad tells me this is normal but Im not so sure.

You guys have been super so far.
Ive only been a member a short while but this is by far the best forum ive ever come across - It should be nominated for an award.

Mike

Purple
15-03-2006, 08:54
the car very very slowly I can hear contact on the rear brakes. It doesnt stop the car and itsnt heavy contact, its like the pad is always touching the disc and it has had new pads and (apparently disks aswell) in the last 1000 miles.
Go for a highway drive without using the brakes much. Coast to a halt and check if the rear brakes are warm or warmer than front. Sticky brakes are bound to slow you down. Also, does the handbrake dis-engage properly?

J o n
15-03-2006, 09:24
I have the same problem at the moment, 2 live will hopefully be able to find out what's causing it though... personally I think it just wants a full service inc rota arm, leads, plugs, dizzy etc...

neilc
15-03-2006, 18:33
My 16v doesnt go much past 120 I think. It has been just past 130mph but that was a down hill run from 100mph :)

mikeymikewakey
15-03-2006, 19:53
Yeah the handbrake disengages fine. Ill try the drive and feel the heat on the rear brakes.
Ive just got a quote from Adrian flux anyways.
My car with all mods covered at the moment is 590.
It would be 1200 with a 2.0 williams in it, as they have to rate it as a williams. So when it comes to it in 8 months time, my insurance would only be 1000 for the year for it with just 1 years NCB, 1 years driving experience at 21 years old. Still, a bit of a jump, the premium doubles!! lol

Mike

Martin
15-03-2006, 20:00
Many people don't declare the 2.0 as it's cosmetically virtually identical...not me though. Only 50 quid difference on my policy

mikeymikewakey
15-03-2006, 20:04
Many people don't declare the 2.0 as it's cosmetically virtually identical...not me though. Only 50 quid difference on my policy

I may have risked it but I work in insurance so would be very serious consequences for me anyway. Could lose my job if caught.

Mike

Martin
15-03-2006, 20:12
aye i declare mine.......you not get cheap insurance working in the field though??

mikeymikewakey
15-03-2006, 20:33
I can, but my company isnt keen on extremely modded cars, which mine is.
I get a discount for being part of an owners club (that got me £48 off) Very nice!!

Mike

gtbloke
16-03-2006, 01:58
on a good long tear my 16v will indicate 130+ mph on the inaccurate speedo!

valvers are queer tho... some are very quick and others are dog slow...theres french engineering for you :roll:

At least they got the engine note right 8)

Dave