PDA

View Full Version : Somethings Gone!! But What????

mikeymikewakey
13-03-2006, 19:07
My car was stationary on a hill. I let my foot off the clutch when the lights changed to green and applied the gas, and went to change into 2nd...
Somewhere between all this there is a loud bang and then the car (the shell and the seat with my arse in it) starts vibrating like hell and the engine starts growling like a bear. I pull over, have a look and everythin looks fine, but its got louder and the car vibrates ALOT!
Im having great difficulty selecting 1st and 2nd at times, as if the gate has slipped and I just end up pushing the stick against the gate - unless I put it back into neutral and try again, then it works.
It also makes a nice loud clanking noise when i change gear too.

Im clueless, I have no idea whats gone - but something definetly has.
Its not the coilpack, and the exhaust seems fine too.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Lunner
13-03-2006, 19:11
Flywheel cracked/broken?

Clutch broken?

Sounds like something attached to the crank, connected to the clutch etc is out of balance, alot and makeing everything shake

mikeymikewakey
13-03-2006, 19:14
The engine does seem ok, goes when i ask it to etc etc
The car is still driveable - its just alot of vibrating and alot of grrrrr!!

Im getting an ex-harrats mechanic to look at it tomorrow (friend of a friend)

Cheers

Andyvalver
13-03-2006, 19:15
You might have broken a gear like i did. I struggled like **** to get 1st and 2nd when it broke. I had to use 1st and 3rd to drive, totally missing out 2nd. I couldnt get 5th after going round right hand bends lol and then after goin left i could again. Basically the bit of gear what broke off was jamming into 5th so i could change. Probably best not to drive it mate if its that. You could smash the box casing.

Lunner
13-03-2006, 19:44
Engine mount in that case woudl be my guess, does it vibrate when you are startionary and reving it or just when moving it and does it increase with the revs or increase with teh speed of the car?

Zollo
13-03-2006, 20:00
Driveshaft related?

dan-hipgrave
13-03-2006, 20:49
When i pulled away once in my clio, the dogbone mount bolt sheared and the engine sorta slipped in the bay - had an instant grinding noise, lot of vibration, hard to get in gear etc. exactly as you describe.

2 live
13-03-2006, 21:23
sounds like the gearbox mount under the batt tray has broken.

mikeymikewakey
13-03-2006, 22:38
Its loud when stationary and vibrates alot too. When i move forward and rev engine it gets worse, when i rev engine when stationary its also worse.

I thought a mounting of somesort but cudnt put my finger on which one.

When I change gear in the low gears like 1st and 2nd, there is a bit of a shudder. The higher gears seem alot cleaner but still with a bit of noise.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

How costly is it to repair this sort of problem if it is a mounting?
I dont think its driveshaft related, the car wouldnt even agree to driving if it was would it?

Mike

Zollo
13-03-2006, 22:51
No, it wouldn't be driveshafts. I didn't read the bit about not being able to change gear easily. And it wouldn't effect it at a stand still either. Ignore me :wink:

MatBrown
14-03-2006, 03:17
As Lunner and 2live have said it is most probably the gearbox mount under the battery that has gone, cost will depend on what has actually gone but none should be too dear.

Mat.

Matt_16v
14-03-2006, 09:15
if its the gearbox mount try not to drive it, when i did my g/box mount the engine dropped down which then sheared my driveshaft which in turn munched my gearbox :(

2 live
14-03-2006, 09:35
aye.....last time mine went, cost me a new shaft and the cup in the diff, and circlips lol.

luckily i had a few spares

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 11:39
Yep guys, it is the bolt inthe gearbox mount, under the the battery tray thats sheared. Just been out and had a look this morning. Gonna be a bugger to get the sheared bolt out.

Mike

2 live
14-03-2006, 12:38
easier to jus buy a pin and mount mate tbh......think they only bout £30 for both...bin a while like so price may be wrong lol.

J o n
14-03-2006, 13:44
sounds like the gearbox mount under the batt tray has broken.

snap, was thinking the same thing... mine went a couple of weeks ago you see... still drove rate though... for once!

mikeymikewakey
14-03-2006, 16:18
Well Ive got the bolt ordered, £16+VAT from renault.
I would have got one from elsewhere but Renault have apparently modified them now so they are heavy duty (obviously cos theyre sick of having to replace them - lol)

Thanks so much for ya help guys

Mike