PDA

View Full Version : Super Unleaded Woooosh

malbon
13-03-2006, 13:05
I've been putting 95RON in for a few weeks now. Only down to the fact there are no Shell or BP stations around my work commute.

Went past the BP today and decided to treat it to some Ultimate. £50 later and the things flying ! Pulling a lot cleaner through the revs and no slow down on the needle at around 4k.

Just need to get the cat off again so that they 4k+ revs make it go crazy, get a cold air feed pointing to piperx (a distinct - if only mild bog down at v.low revs) and get a rattling brake pads issue fixed and im good for some spring summer fast road and track use :D

I dont think its that much slower than my old elise in a straight line. The elise claims were 14.6 to 100. The Clio I reckons is probably 3 car lengths slower - so really only a second or maybe a couple of seconds behind.

Dead impressive as evo quote 20 secs to 100. defo not that slow though do have magnex, IK and remap.

Strict 97+ Ron diet from now on 8)

Martin
13-03-2006, 13:11
I treat my car to the good stuff for track days and 1/4 miling....can't say I've noticed a difference though....cams& some weight out and a clio will dip under 14.5 to 100.

McPikie
13-03-2006, 13:21
I tried optimax in mine and it ran like a bag of nails.

95 ron for me

Andy P
13-03-2006, 14:01
Was thinking of Optimax, mate ran on only optimax with his GT4.

Surely cant be that shit :?: :?

malbon
13-03-2006, 14:06
there was a noticeable difference as soon as i pulled out of the petrol station. I thought ' oer this feels a bit livelier and then i nailed it and it pulled so cleanly.

14.5 to 100 sounds great but dont fancy stripping it. I like the comfyness fo the interior for such a fast little car. imho stripping and preparing a decent williams is sacrilage. Would sooner put the money towards a decent rwd and already track focused vehicle like a caterfield.

malbon
13-03-2006, 14:14
optimax and ultimate are higher octane ratings. if your car doesnt have a knock sensor to differentiate these octane ratings then speedwise you shouldn't really notice a difference - though the cleaning properties are supposed to help with keeping injectors and stuff clean.

The turbo's and jap cars usually have knock sensors and are senstitive to petrol. i had an s2k that ran like a dog on 95.

Saying that i dont think the clio has one but i defo felt the difference so who knows why :?:

Andy P
13-03-2006, 14:14
there was a noticeable difference as soon as i pulled out of the petrol station. I thought ' oer this feels a bit livelier and then i nailed it and it pulled so cleanly.

14.5 to 100 sounds great but dont fancy stripping it. I like the comfyness fo the interior for such a fast little car. imho stripping and preparing a decent williams is sacrilage. Would sooner put the money towards a decent rwd and already track focused vehicle like a caterfield.

Martin clearly thinks differently :lol:

Martin
13-03-2006, 14:15
Well yeah you can't beat caterfields for track work.....if you can afford a decent spec of course.

malbon
13-03-2006, 14:21
His is a high mileage hybrid though isnt it by looks of your profile Martin ??

Cant beat these things for cheap fun on the track but the danger of it is starting with a nice cheap 2.0 filled clio and then throwing money at the engine, cage, brakes, wheels and all of a sudden you've spent 10k on something that will never be as focused as an out of the box track toy.

My 2p :lol:

Martin
13-03-2006, 14:39
His is a high mileage hybrid though isnt it by looks of your profile Martin ??

Cant beat these things for cheap fun on the track but the danger of it is starting with a nice cheap 2.0 filled clio and then throwing money at the engine, cage, brakes, wheels and all of a sudden you've spent 10k on something that will never be as focused as an out of the box track toy.

My 2p :lol:

Theres no way I could afford a dedicated track car like a caterfield so the clio is best of both worlds for me....
tbh I've done the spending load thing already lol won't do it again! This car has probably set me back around 4k all in so far so not too bad, not planning any more mods at the mo just gonna track/quarter mile it...

2 live
13-03-2006, 14:44
only petrol station we got round here is an optimax 1 lol.

mines mapped to run on it. try not to use owt else if i can help it.

Coops
13-03-2006, 14:52
clios do have a knock sensor mate! no idea what they are for tho, enlighten me?!!

my mate runs his mr2 turbo on optimax, i've been in it whens hes been runnin 95ron n its ruff as fook in comparison!

Andy P
13-03-2006, 16:15
Martin..you've spent 4k on it? thats including the car?

I was always a none believer of the hybrid, but after now owning one i cant be believe the difference to the 1.8!

Shes been a little neglected lately, so its time for some TLC 8)

Martin
13-03-2006, 17:57
Martin..you've spent 4k on it? thats including the car?

I was always a none believer of the hybrid, but after now owning one i cant be believe the difference to the 1.8!

Shes been a little neglected lately, so its time for some TLC 8)

Yup including the car 8)