PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil leak

Darren
11-03-2006, 23:01
My Clio is pissing gearbox oil, it's not so much a drip but the entire bottom end is near enough covered in gearbox oil, it seems to just wrap around the engine.

Anyhow, the gearstick has got a bit notchy as I last topped up about 1k ago, I managed to put about 0.5l in and 0.5l on the floor and down the side of the box.
So yeah I dread doing it again, my skin has just about grown back from last time, oh happy days.

Anyway, I dont want to drain the box - one it pretty much does it by itself as it is and two it will probably upset the leak even more.
I have 2l of Automatic Trasmition Fluid/PAS Fluid from Halfrauds I brought it to top up my PAS (It doesn't leak, which is quite worrying as everything else does).

Would I be able to mix the ATF with whats already in there, a mixture of whatever was in there from the start, Some Castrol costing £10 a litre and now hopefully some ATF

I know the ATF will probably leak out even faster as I guess it's thinner? but seems a shame to not use it, espeically as I can't really spare £20 what with all the petrol I'm using (Tank no doubt probably leaks too lol).

BRUN
12-03-2006, 01:13
you can get box oil a lot cheaper than £10 a litre mate........

try and find somewhere that sells Comma, that will be cheaper

Darren
12-03-2006, 01:16
Yeah cheers mate I was having a blonde moment when I brought it; even Halfrauds do there own for £5 a ltr but dickhead here goes and pays double that for Castrol, and do I get a thank you? do i heck as like after a few hundred miles it just spits it out.

Will get some proper gearbox oil once I get paid and god forbid get the leak seen too **shudders at thought of wallet getting raped**
But for now I've got 2l of ATF which has constantly come under abuse by people tripping over it as its just laying in the garage.

Will that mix alright with whats already in there?

Darren
12-03-2006, 01:20
Gawd knows how I'm going to find where its coming from theres so much oil down there, if George Bush saw my engine bay he'd probably invade it.

The clutch doesnt slip at all if that narrows it down, looks like it's coming from the top of the gearbox there a sort of join its soaked with oil in the middle, but again I'm not sure.

BRUN
12-03-2006, 02:00
mine was leakin a few weeks ago from the very end casing

Darren
12-03-2006, 02:19
How you fix it mate, and is it alright to put some ATF in it?

BRUN
12-03-2006, 17:52
took it to LTR, Taylor sorted it for me

Lunner
12-03-2006, 18:06
If ts expensive bear in mind 2nd hand boxes are dirt cheap

Darren
12-03-2006, 20:35
Yeah cheers Lunner, any idea what the book time is for fitting another box, may as well have a new clutch whilst I'm at it?

Lunner
12-03-2006, 20:42
I was quoted £100 by a mate who works for peugot, cash in hand job, apparently a garage told someone £150

Took me day and a half to get it out and half a day back in, but i hadn't done it before, recon i could do one ina day now :)