PDA

View Full Version : Conversion

Allan
24-03-2005, 02:30
On a scale of 10 how hard would it be to turn a none valver into a valver or a williams ???

Speaking from a mechanical view point not a body work one as the body work isnt a problem...

Just asking as i am very tempted to do it as a project, Although i am not a mechanic and know very little about car's, and would be wanting to convert a 1.4 RT depending on what i can get as a donor car i.e a cashed willy valver or possibly a r19.

How ever my dad is a mechanic of like 30 somthing years so im sure he can lend a hand...

JonnyK
24-03-2005, 10:43
it is easy enough done,
think the basic conversion including engine costs 3K at GDI and the cost for the conversion itself is the same whether you go for the 1.8 or 2.0, so naturally i went for the 2litre :lol:
goes in thursday 31st to get dropped in, cant wait! !

summeh
24-03-2005, 11:19
do it yourself, get most of the parts u need from scrappy, engine, loom, gearbox from donor car

so long as u got plenty of time on your hands (u student so np) wud be fun :) I can get u an engine crane to use

Rich
24-03-2005, 11:26
I'm currently in the process of collecting parts for a valver conversion from a 1.2 conversion and i am finding that is is easy enough to do yourself mate! the engine itself just plugs staright in, all you do is replace the rt loom for the valver loom, i chose the valver engine because i couldn't afford the williams engine as they cost a lot more i paid much less for an F7P out of an r19 with gearbox, inlet and zorst manifold than i would have for just the F7R on it's own! another handy thing is that you don't need discs on the back for the engineers report as my mate can do the reports and i spoke to him about it and he basically said the drums are just as good, just uprate the front ones, i am putting valver susp on and front discs and calipers too.
It's a good idea to get the valver drive shafts too although you can run the 1.4 driveshafts but its advisable to change them, make sure you try to find an engine with service history to be on the safe side and ensure you have the injectors with it unless you fancy a big bill to buy those.
You will also need to change the fuel pump to the valver one so that it doesn't run lean.
Any other questions you've got send them my way and i will see if i can help as i've done a lot of homework on this one

Allan
24-03-2005, 12:22
Thanks for the info rich, might possibly have a r19 donor car lined up :)

Rich
24-03-2005, 12:24
no probs mate, like i say if you want anyh more info you can catch me on msn or PM me or put a past up mate!

VIPERONE
24-03-2005, 13:03
I have done it fully.. its easy to do....

mines both mechanically and asthetically a williams 3 ..well apart from ABS...

engine soon to go in... pick up is still on schedule for 15th/april.
:-)

Daz
24-03-2005, 13:05
Getting rear track will be difficult on the rear.. as the wider track and none-wide arches would cause hassle.

Allan
24-03-2005, 13:10
Guess my best course of action atm is go have alook at this 1.4 im going to buy and see if its worth it :)
The car already has huge arch's on it, its kitted out hence the reason for wanting this perticular car so track wont be a problem to get it fitted

Then if its it good condition (hoping it is) then will be renting out a garage to store it for the work :)

I think i will start with getting the engine gear box clutch from the r19, probably have to get a nice stainless steel exhaust sorted aswell

whats the wiring loom out of a 19 like ? as they similar to the valvers?

then next would be a case of getting the suspension and drive shafts, tempted to go for williams track tho which would be nice, not sure on the shocks as talking to summy and he says clio's have mcpherson struts so coil covers might not be the best way to go...

So would be looking at getting maybe some apex valver shocks and springs.

lastly im thinking i want it to look the part so might have to save for a big break conversion but that is gona kill the bank :(

Winston
24-03-2005, 13:22
Sounds good..........I wish you the best of luck with the conversion.

It really is good fun and will teach you alot about the clio

summeh
24-03-2005, 13:36
u just need a loom for an f7p engine, prolly better to get one from a Clio rather than a r19 i'd have thought ??? as it will fit better.