PDA

View Full Version : Pre Tensioner System

06-03-2006, 01:46
Right, ive just picked up the leather seats of Loz, from what i gather there from a mk1 phase 1 clio 16v as there is no pre tensioners for the air bags on the front seats and no split rear bottom bench (the back however is a 60/40 split).

My RSi has the system so if disconnected the air bag light will be on, ive just been reading the Haynes and it says about removing the fuse, waiting 5 mins and then disconnecting the pre tensioner wiring... will this still make the air bag light show?

Also what methods are they of getting around this, can the pre tensioner system be fitted to phase 1 seats?

Plattsy
06-03-2006, 01:49
yeh the pretensioner can be fitted to ph1 seats, while there out unbolt the housing where the buckle is and the pretensionr just fits in there, did it on my ph3 when i put ph1 valver seats in it, never had any problem with the airbag light only when they were disconnected...simple solution remove the bulb :P

06-03-2006, 01:59
ah cool, will do that then...

cheers

Coops
06-03-2006, 11:58
that interior is originally out of a renault 19 mate, thats why rear seats are wierd!! clios only ever had elephant grey leather os an option n the fronts are phase 2 seats not phase one. its just that renault 19 had different system. do what plattsy says, shud be reet!!

06-03-2006, 12:10
Everything is different, arghhhhhhhhh

I only have 1 runner on the leather, im trying to put the clio runners on the leather and i cant, so annoying

smokey
06-03-2006, 12:54
I much prefer the cloth interior to the leather :?

06-03-2006, 13:41
should the base of the rear bench have a metal base to it?

or is the foam ok?

Im going to go to a scrap yard to find a R19 and try and get the runners off the seats :roll:

06-03-2006, 15:06
Got the rears in, a managed to chop the r19 foam down and fit it around the clio metal base, nice and snug.

Still got the issue with the fronts tho, the runners from the clio are ever so slightly different to the r19 runners, so i cant screw my runners to the r19 leather seats :twisted:

Lunner
06-03-2006, 18:09
1) remove centre console

2) behind the gear lever there is a silver metal box, about 4-6" square, there are 2 wires going into it, iirc only one has a plug on, remove this wire

3) replace centre console

4) enjoy happy orange light free motoring

What you have just done is disconnected the air bag control unit, the car now thinks it doesn't have an airbag/pre-tensioners

u33db
06-03-2006, 18:26
Off topic but is it an MOT failure to have the seatbelt pretensioners unplugged?

Lunner
06-03-2006, 18:29
no its an mot failure to have the airbag light on

i had an mot wit the pre tesioners plugged in and cable tied to the bottem of the seats lol

u33db
06-03-2006, 20:11
no its an mot failure to have the airbag light on

i had an mot wit the pre tesioners plugged in and cable tied to the bottem of the seats lol

Well this is the thing i'm not too sure about - my MOT is due shortly (well 2 weeks ago TBH!) and the cabling isn't plugged into the seats...this is mainly because the 16v ones i fitted have different plugs to the 1.2 efforts i removed.

I could wire them up with bullet connectors but i'm stuck for time this week and its dark in the evenings up here now...if i can get away without them it i might not bother?

:?

u33db
06-03-2006, 20:11
Oh BTW - got the steering wheel on Saturday...cheers! :)

Lunner
06-03-2006, 20:12
as said above, unplug the air bag control unit

u33db
06-03-2006, 20:16
Sorry - i wasn't clear above...the 1.2 doesn't have any airbag rubbish...i just want to know if i'll get away with having the wires unplugged? I know you said (^^) you did but was that more by luck/would an anal MOT dude fail me on this?

Lunner
06-03-2006, 20:49
yes you will, in my 1.2 i had bucket seats and no airbag and iirc i didn't even get an airbag light come on

u33db
06-03-2006, 21:04
8)

06-03-2006, 21:05
Managed to get it so the clio runners screw to the r19 seats... had to drill new holes on one side. Not putting them in til 2morro now tho as its dark, plus i get ****ed off with going under the car.

Why did they think putting bolts up near the centre box for the seats would be a good idea, stupid french twats. :evil:

Ill get some pictures up 2morro aswell, the rears look cool and are well comfy, fronts should be good too. Im going to leave the pre tensioners for now and look at either getting some more (selling originals with original seats) and fitting them to the leather seats or just disconnecting them and getting rid of the steering wheel and getting a non air bag one. However i do like the idea of safety :roll: :lol:

Lunner
06-03-2006, 21:07
Inside bolts are easier to get out than the outside ones, lol

Piece of piss, arms ength under the car, don't even need to jack it up, deep socket and extension bar, sorted

06-03-2006, 21:18
i didnt know where they where at first, started undoing the heat sheilds and was undoing stuff near the gear stick housing.. Then realised i was too far up.

I just get worried that the car is going to squash my face :lol:

MattyH16valver
06-03-2006, 21:27
I've recently changed my valver seats for R19 black leather seats...did'nt have any probs with the fronts as it's just a straight swap, but the rears are a different story! For the rear bench I just chopped some of the metal of each side of the base, until I could sqeeze it in, but cut my hand to sheds in the process! :x . The rear backrest I bought a s/h RT one and took the leather and cushions off the r19 frame and put them on the RT frame. Only trouble is that the leather looks squashed! RSi Dave....for the rear backrests did u use your clio cushions or the r19 ones? Matt :D

06-03-2006, 22:47
Well i bought mine without any metal bases so just had the leather and foam, which had already been modded to fit a clio i think. Because of this ive used r19 foam which has been cut and fitted to the clio metal bases.

Ill get some pictures 2morro when its light. The only bit that doesnt sit right on mine is the parts where they are curved over the wheel arch.

07-03-2006, 13:08
Pictures here

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127125