PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild quick one :)

Djw dave
04-03-2006, 17:23
Been doing work on the engine and came across a wee problem.

The surface between the head and the bottom end is dirty. I have cleaned it but it really needs like sanded off. see pic.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/DJWDave/allpistonsin.jpg

Any one any idea on what would be best to use??

Cheers

Anders
05-03-2006, 00:09
I wouldn't worry about it matey unless you can feel imperfections with your fingers.

Probably just surface stains, you could use wet and dry to see where that gets ya, but IMHO that's what gaskets are for..

katbloke
05-03-2006, 02:02
a flat heavy block with a sheet of emery on it and run that over the block, remember to remove the head gasket locating dowels

Nick Hill
05-03-2006, 13:23
If you are not going to strip the block any further I would also suggest stuffing the bores and oil returns with paper and the smear a bit of grease about half an inch down the bores, when you have flatted it with emery you can remove the paper an wipe away all the grease. This will help with not getting any of the emery particles that have come of the paper from getting into the bottom end and down the side of the pistons. Also have a look at the cylinder head bolt holes and make sure there are no cracks between them and the water galleries.

Djw dave
05-03-2006, 14:47
Its just been re-built mate. New rings, shells, re-bore etc etc

:)

Nick Hill
05-03-2006, 14:54
You would have been best to clean the block face when the pistons were out having the rings fitted then.

Djw dave
05-03-2006, 15:08
Yup. I relise that now. Its gone too far now to take it all to bits again.

Cheers for the info guys :)