PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!

holl
04-03-2006, 14:15
i have changed the coil, dizzy cap & rotor arm, spark plugs, have cleaned the TDC there is still no spark and there isnt any fuel pumping to the rail as i have taken the pipe off the fuel rail and checked.
if the fuel pump is not working would this make it not spark? but it isnt making any noise! i have tryed the imobilisor and i dont think that it is that! ( very confusing alarm!)
please help me cos i think i have tryed most things.
also what haynes manual do i get cos i carnt find one that lists the williams!
thanks

dan-hipgrave
04-03-2006, 14:25
cant help with the technical stuff im afraid, but as far as i know, theres no Haynes manual for a Williams. There is a PDF document for it though - want me to email it on?

Rich
04-03-2006, 14:39
if the fuel pump isnt working how do you expect any fuel to get to the rail? change the pump if you know its not working and then try again

holl
04-03-2006, 14:42
thats why im askin cos i dont no if its not workin and im not speding over £100 to find out its not that!!!

katbloke
04-03-2006, 14:44
have you tried to find the fuse/relay for the fuel pump im guessing there is one anyways to see if thats gone?

holl
04-03-2006, 14:47
ive checked the fuse its fine,
how do you get to the fuel pump i no its in the tank but how do you take it out? can you get it out from under the seat??

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 14:48
if the fuel pump isnt working how do you expect any fuel to get to the rail? change the pump if you know its not working and then try again

She said "if its not working" numbnuts :roll:

Is the immobiliser aftermarket ? Might be a knackered TDC sensor, that will cause it not to spark and the fuel pump not to pump. Test that there is a live and an earth at the ignition coil then test that the tacho out works

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 14:50
Right if u want to test that the pump works, take the cap off the top of the fuel pump and look for the thick white wire then run a positive straight to it, if it starts whining then it works.

I think its the TDC sensor TBH

check this out

http://photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/?action=view&current=coil.jpg

Run a positive straight to the tacho one and see if it turns over and starts

holl
04-03-2006, 14:52
ive got a clifford alarm and the renault key works aswell???? :?

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 14:54
ive got a clifford alarm and the renault key works aswell???? :?

LOL

well cliffords aren't the most reliable to say the least, make sure you are using the clifford fob to deactivate the alarm.

Rich
04-03-2006, 14:56
She said "if its not working" numbnuts :roll:
she also said its not makin a noise 'numbnuts' thus its not priming.
that was my reasoning for saying change it, i was also not aware the TDC sensor would make it not turn over.
I put a simple reply with a simple question in there with no need for a sarcastic keyboard reply from yourself so keep it to yourself cunt

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 14:56
don't u have any local members with an ounce of knowledge up your way ?

holl
04-03-2006, 14:57
do you mean run a wire from the battery straight to the connection?
thanks

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 14:58
Rich wheres the attitiude come from, i was having a bit of banter, theres no need for language like that.

I'm trying to help holl as i'm sure you are, but by talking down to her you are not helping, think before you speak mate, common courtesy

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 14:58
do you mean run a wire from the battery straight to the connection?
thanks

when i say run a live to it, yes i do.

if you still can't solve it, i'll gladly come help you fix it, your only up the M6

holl
04-03-2006, 15:00
there is one guy but he is snowed in!

holl
04-03-2006, 15:01
thanks hun :D

Rich
04-03-2006, 15:07
Rich wheres the attitiude come from, i was having a bit of banter, theres no need for language like that.

I'm trying to help holl as i'm sure you are, but by talking down to her you are not helping, think before you speak mate, common courtesy

i wasnt tryin to talk down to her, i posed a question to which she answered in a reasonable manner, the attitude came from someone who is unknown to me calling me numb nuts!

would the first thing you've ever said to someone be numb nuts? 9 times out of 10 people would take offence to it just like i did, i dont mind banter like everyone else and i'm sure if i knew you i wouldnt mind the comment, as i dont it would be appreciated if you would refrain from such personal insults :wink:

no hard feelings eh? apoligies for calling you a cunt though, it is a little harsh

holl
04-03-2006, 15:10
i only answered you the way you spoke to me!!!
i wasnt bein nasty tho. :)

Rich
04-03-2006, 15:16
i only answered you the way you spoke to me!!!
i wasnt bein nasty tho. :)
yeah and that was resonable chick, no problems with anyone on here, said our pieces and now lets get back to helping you :wink:

holl
04-03-2006, 15:21
thanks!!!
cos i feel like setting it on fire at the mo. :cry:

Purple
04-03-2006, 15:54
Holl,

1. When was the last time the car was working? And did anything happen that may have caused the starting problems.

2. Could you list the things that you have done so far? And do they affect the car in any way?

Mine went in for an oil change and it could not start for a few weeks, until a relay was permanently earthed to trigger.

Starting problems are quite common on these cars. And it is the most frustating things when it happens. I think Gunnergibson is the Gandolf of starting problems, let him have a look. Keep at it - there should be enough knowhow here to sort it out.

holl
04-03-2006, 16:16
it hasnt ran for about 3 days now gunnergibson has said he will come down but he is snowed in!Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:15 pm Post subject: HELP!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have changed the coil, dizzy cap & rotor arm, spark plugs, have cleaned the TDC there is still no spark and there isnt any fuel pumping to the rail as i have taken the pipe off the fuel rail and checked.
if the fuel pump is not working would this make it not spark? but it isnt making any noise! i have tryed the imobilisor and i dont think that it is that! ( very confusing alarm!)
that is every thing i have changed and non of it has helped! when we changed the dizzy cap and rotor arm it started about 3 times but has done nothin since i changed all the other things after the dizzy?!
if anyone could come and help me i would be really greatfull!
cos i dont no what to do, my bf is runnin out of things to do on it!
thanks

richy
04-03-2006, 16:32
does the fuel pump whine/make a noise when u turn the ignition on?
if u lift up your rear seat and just pop the plastic cover off u will have good access to check for a feed to it if it does not, that way u can rule out pump or wiring/relay side,

if theres no spark at all it could be the TDC sensor, u can use a mulitimeter to check resistance on it, i cant remember the exact reading it should be around 250 +/- 10 ish (holmes), as said i cant remember the figure off top of me head right now! there not to expensive so may be worth replacing anyway to rule out future faults! if its buggered it will just turn over n over untill u kill the battery

i have a clifford c300 alarm and not had any problems with the immob(touch wood), u should be able to tell by the light if it stops flashing etc

oh and rich shush ya moaning face :wink: slag :lol:

Purple
04-03-2006, 16:51
i have changed coil, dizzy cap & rotor arm, spark plugs, have cleaned the TDC there is still no spark and there isnt any fuel pumping to the rail as i have taken the pipe off the fuel rail and checked.
if the fuel pump is not working would this make it not spark? but it isnt making any noise!
When my fuel pump didn't whirr (I assume that is what you mean by "fuel pump isn't making noise"), it was traced to a 10 dollar connector going to the fuel pump, a 20 mins fix. Check that. Unfortunately, I don't know where it is as it was done by my regular mechanics. I think it's quite close to the pump itself.

But are you certain that there is also no sparking at the plugs? Because no ignition of the plugs AND fuel pump not whirring appears to be multiple failures. For most cars, this should indicate an ECU problem, but on these Clios, 9 times out of 10 I would bet that it's bad earthing. Bad earthing can cause crazy weird and/or multiple problems on our little blue car.

it started about 3 times but has done nothin since i changed all the other things after the dizzy?! if anyone could come and help me i would be really greatfull!
Yes, it has a habit of pretending to work a little after changing a part - making you think that you have fixed it :D

GunnerGibson - Get on a snowmobile, man!! You got a girl here who can't wait to see you!! :) :wink:

holl
04-03-2006, 16:58
lol
i have taken the battery off for 1 hour to reset the ecu and it didnt change!

Purple
04-03-2006, 17:14
Well, that's about all I know from my own starting problem 3 month ago. Going offline for a while (+8GMT here) - will pick up the thread later. Hope Gunner reaches you safely and get the car going before then.

holl
04-03-2006, 17:17
thanks

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 17:41
no update on this ?

It worked before you changed the dizzy ? are the leads on the right way ? should be 1-3-4-2 from the flywheel end. where are you not getting a spark ? is it at the end of the HT leads or at the end of the king lead from the coil ?

holl
04-03-2006, 17:45
im not gettin a spark at all from no were!!!
my bf has now given up so i dont no what to do!!! :cry:

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 17:49
what has he tried ? did he do any of my suggestions ?

i personally think its the TDC sensor, but i can't tell over the internet :cry:

holl
04-03-2006, 17:52
he tryed that live wire thing that you said but he is used to working on 5 turbos and is new to a clio! how do you do it exactly? put the wire from the battery to ???
thanks!

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 17:54
tell him to run a live to the tacho out on the AEI, he'll know what i mean being a 5 lad.

http://photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/?action=view&current=coil.jpg

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 17:57
plus make sure that the positive and negative are both good

holl
04-03-2006, 17:59
yep thats what he did but it didnt work?!
should i but a new TDC sensor?

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 18:01
yep thats what he did but it didnt work?!
should i but a new TDC sensor?

well i don't wanna tell you to buy it only to find out it was the immobiliser or something like that, don't want to put you out of pocket. check the resistance across it and check it against the haynes value.

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 18:10
should be 200+ ohms

if your BF has one on his 5, it should be the same, try using his then report back.

simply just plugs into the AEI (ignition coil) and then bolts to the top of the gearbox

holl
04-03-2006, 18:27
the tdc of the 5 wont fit in to the aei unit one of the tdc lines are blanked off??the one on the right!?

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 18:30
the 5 gtt TDC sensor should be a 2 wire sensor the same as the clio :shock:

holl
04-03-2006, 18:35
no not on the 5 thing on the tdc leads bit on my car?
i bet you think im a right pain now dont you! :wink:

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 18:36
http://photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/?action=view&current=TDC.jpg

like that

holl
04-03-2006, 18:42
yea thats it he has done that and there still is nothing??? :cry:

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 18:43
hol what do you mean ? i didn't understand the last post ?

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 18:44
yea thats it he has done that and there still is nothing??? :cry:

so hes used the 5 gtt TDC sensor and it still won't work ?

That makes me think that it could be the immobiliser. does the alarm work properly ? turn on and off ?

holl
04-03-2006, 18:48
were the TDC leads go on my car the right side was blocked off/ wasnt bein used? thats not right is it?
i dont no my bf was goin on about it, i dont really understand any off it!!
at the moment i HATE the bastard thing!!!

holl
04-03-2006, 18:51
yea well i think it does it locks and unlocks fine but i dont no weather im meant to use the renault key? :(

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 18:52
just checked mine out and you right theres only one wire, a single pink one. so you can't test it with the gtt one.

its either buy a new one and try it or take it to a garage.

they are about £15 from gsf or £30 from renault

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 18:53
yea well i think it does it locks and unlocks fine but i dont no weather im meant to use the renault key? :(

your meant to use the clifford fob to lock and unlock it if you've got central locking on the alarm.

holl
04-03-2006, 18:54
thanks
do you think halfords would stock them???

holl
04-03-2006, 18:59
yea that is what i do but the renault one also works? :?

katbloke
04-03-2006, 19:02
doubtful on halfords, and if you have an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser then you 9/10 times wont need the renault key to arm/disarm only to turn in the ignition.

Dammit Holl, my car wont start now, batterys dead and replaced the cap and rotor arm too coz they were manky.

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 19:05
the renault one will still unlock and lock the car but the alarm should go off if you open the door

arj256
04-03-2006, 19:34
Have you checked the ignition coil and the coil pack?
If your fuel pump isnt making a noise, unplug the lead which goes into it and make sure its clean, may help.

holl
05-03-2006, 13:23
could it be a relay that is causing the car not to start eg the glow plug relay causing it not to spark??
thanks

Clio_GTT
05-03-2006, 13:28
could it be a relay that is causing the car not to start eg the glow plug relay causing it not to spark??
thanks

well you don't have glow plugs, you have spark plugs and there isn't a spark plug relay, there is a fuel pump relay, i think thats situated in the relay box in the engine bay near the battery.

My moneys still on the TDC sensor tho, as that will stop the fuel pump and the spark :D

holl
05-03-2006, 13:38
ok is there a coil relay??
ta :D

Clio_GTT
05-03-2006, 13:47
ok is there a coil relay??
ta :D

don't think so

katbloke
05-03-2006, 16:18
Holl just had the same probs as you and a clean of the tdc fixed it the other option could be a immobiliser issue this is an extract from a post on Retro renault

It was the key slot not in the right position in the glovebox! Didn't think it had anything to do with the prob since the immobiliser was left on.

Changed position and heard the fuel pump priming and it struck up straight away!

Cheers for the advice chaps!

Can't beat a free fix!

BRUN
05-03-2006, 16:31
was the TDC sensor you fitted a new one ?

ive got an old one i could post you for nothin if you wanna try it

BigBoreBri
05-03-2006, 16:51
I would be inclined to think its down to the alarm... give clifford a ring and ask their advice, there is usally three fuse's on most alarm units and if just one of them blows it can knockout the immobilizer circuit and hence the fuel pump/ignition circuit!

Generally there stuffed up behind the dash out of sight too... :roll:

Hope that helps, Bri.

holl
05-03-2006, 18:22
i have just found a switch next to the accelerator is that meant to be there??? :?
thanks

holl
05-03-2006, 18:31
also i have just had a look for the key that is meant to be next to the fuse box? its not there??? :?
i had a stereo fitted to my car just before this started happening could that have any thing to do with it?

Coops
05-03-2006, 18:36
the key is next to the auxillary fuse box under the scuttle panel under the bonnet on the passengers side!:wink:

no idea bout no spark probs am afraid :oops:

if it started straight after the stereo was fitted n ran n that then probs not that, but i dunno for sure.

Coops

holl
05-03-2006, 18:39
ill try that one as well then but there is one on the inside as well near the fuse box isnt there?? :?

richy
05-03-2006, 18:40
holl, does it turn over fine? when u put the ignition on do u hear the fuel pump at all?

Coops
05-03-2006, 18:41
nah, one by aux box and one inside the glove box, on the underside.

Coops

holl
05-03-2006, 18:41
yea it turns over ok i dont think the fuel pump makes any noise?!

richy
05-03-2006, 18:46
have u tryed unplugging the fuel pump and checking for a feed when u turn the ignition on?

have u tryed unlocking it by the clifford then using the std key fob to lock then unlock it and see if it works?

holl
05-03-2006, 18:48
is the fuel pump the thing under the back seat? i think i have tryed it that way it is so confusing that alarm!

richy
05-03-2006, 18:53
yes if u lift the back seat bench up u will see a black plastic cap, pop that up and the pump in under there, u should hear it make a noise when u turn the ignition on, if not u need to check there is def a 12v feed to it with a mulitmeter when u turn ign on

if u do have a std alarm unit on u should be able to disarm the clifford like normal then using the std key fob u may have to lock it then unlock it(not clifford) ie switch off clifford then sit in car and lock/unlock it with std key then try start it

holl
05-03-2006, 18:56
ok thanks :D

holl
07-03-2006, 19:15
ive changed the tdc sensor and it still wont start!!! :(

Clio_GTT
07-03-2006, 19:42
the only other thing that cuts the fuel and spark will be the alarm then

holl
07-03-2006, 19:56
i dont understand how an alarm can be so hard to work?! im doin the same as when i first bought it so what could i be doing wrong? i didnt think the car would turn over if the imobiliser was on or does it on these bloody cars? :?
ive had it 2 weeks to day and driven it for about 3 days out of that!!!
i just want it to work! :cry:

richy
07-03-2006, 20:00
if its the clifford immob it wont even turn over, reno ones will allowit to turn over but normally theres a flashing symbol on the instrument panel to tell u its still armed

holl
07-03-2006, 20:11
both the clifford and the reno one works!?

Clio_GTT
07-03-2006, 20:19
both the clifford and the reno one works!?

have you armed the renault one ? the little keyhole up by the fusebaord ? thats the only way to arm that one

holl
07-03-2006, 20:25
there isnt a key thing there?! so no i dont think so! is there ment to be a switch near accelerator?? :?

bigjim
08-03-2006, 00:44
if i was u i would be having serious words with whoever u bought this car off. :twisted:

Purple
08-03-2006, 01:47
Holl, has anyone, other than your bf, looked at it yet?

If Gunner can't make it; towing it to a workshop that does mk1 Clios might be a good idea. If the shop has seen enough mk1 Clio, they may be able to suss out the starting problem.

Clio b
08-03-2006, 09:40
i was jus bout to say think its time u take it to a garage..... :D

holl
08-03-2006, 20:34
its working!!! yippy! :D :D
some guy bought a computer round and then messed with it and it started! thanks for all ya help :D

Clio_GTT
08-03-2006, 20:37
its working!!! yippy! :D :D
some guy bought a computer round and then messed with it and it started! thanks for all ya help :D

what was the problem ? car related or alarm related ?

holl
08-03-2006, 20:41
car the ecu needed resetting might need a new one if it goes again! costly! :?

Purple
08-03-2006, 23:59

IMO, I don't think it's the ECU, so don't go out buying a new ECU just yet. He could have set something right when he was messing about in the engine bay. I have not heard of anyone here having to change ECU to fix a starting problem. Whatever it was, glad it worked for you. Now, get out and cane the car for being such a pain! :)

BRUN
09-03-2006, 01:06

not really, LTR have tons of em in

MatBrown
09-03-2006, 17:30
Williams ECUs?

Mat.

BRUN
09-03-2006, 19:27
ah right, lol, didnt know it was a willy :oops: