PDA

View Full Version : Steering column swap, *updated - new help needed*

dan-hipgrave
04-03-2006, 12:35
Right, i started tis morning changing my knackered column over for a decent welded one. I got my steering wheel off and saw this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Image254.jpg

And then realised that the end of the new column looked like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/Image255.jpg

My Clio is a phase 2 valver, and the column is from a Williams (unkown year)

Im guessing to use this column ive gotta change the steering wheel and retaining bolt right? What wheel fits that type of column then as i thought they were all the same??

Cheers,

Dan

1fast6
04-03-2006, 13:07
do you have the nylon nut that goes on the end of the column?

my phase 1 had that design were a nut held the wheel on. my phase two has a bolt that screws into the column.

They should be fine just need the nut.

Smokey McPot
04-03-2006, 13:34
From a Williams 1

MatBrown
04-03-2006, 13:41
Yeah, just need the different nut to hold it on.

Mat.

dan-hipgrave
04-03-2006, 14:20
excellent guys, i was thinking a new wheel was needed as well :o

Anyone know what size nut they are?

Dan

dan-hipgrave
04-03-2006, 17:45
Right, after spending the afternoon going round motorfactors and hardware shops with my steering column, no one had the right size nut, so i went down the local scrappy and pinched one from a Clio down there..

Got the old column out now, and to my surprise its been welded before, and the weld has cracked - thats why it suddenly went from no play to a tonne of play lol. The weld on it is absolutely shite, and its no wonder it cracked :roll:

My next question is though - how do i remove the ignition barrel from the steering column - Haynes says to use a screwdriver to push the lugs in and use the key in position 3 to pull it out, but its going nowhere (i have undone the torx screw on the back before anyone says that!)

Cheers :D

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 17:47
I think the haynes got the position wrong it was a different number when i did mine, keep trying coz thats the right method, just try different positions and make sure your pressing the right bit :D

dan-hipgrave
04-03-2006, 17:50
lol i knew i shouldnt have trusted Haynes!! I just tried position 2 and its out...Thanks a lot matey!!

Clio_GTT
04-03-2006, 17:51
8) 8) well done