PDA

View Full Version : Power Caps

Dno194
03-03-2006, 11:29
Hi

I know not many of you are into the ICE thing, but thought I'd ask any how :D .

Anyone here use a power cap or have any experience of them? I am looking to buy a Power Acoustik 5 farad power cap or maybe two, but don't know whether it is worth the extra dosh. I don't do many miles, and my Optima Yellow Top has had trouble running my current set-up.

Thanks

Deano

Ps. I know I should dump the stereo, but I can't fit it to my motorbike, so it's staying put for now! :lol:

clowo16v
03-03-2006, 11:54
I had a 1 farad power cap with a Optima Yellow top in my 1.2 and it coped fine. That was with a Kenwood 1800w amp and 2 Phoenix Gold amps running 2 subs & 10 component speakers/

See ya

Matt

BRUN
03-03-2006, 20:47
dont bother, really !

power caps are no good and a completely stupid idea

what happens is, you turn your system on, the power cap charges up.........the bass line hits and power is instantly given to your amp from the cap which is right next to it........now........the cap has to charge back up again, the only source it can get power from is your battery.........the bass line hits again, the cap is empty and its drawing loads of power from your battery to charge it back up again, leaving you with LESS available power

they are pointless, will make your system worse, and are a waste of money

Lunner
03-03-2006, 20:55
Power caps are a big capacitor, which work, in electrics theory by charging up to deliver a constant supply current, if you are maxing out the power su[ply most of the time they won;t work, btu if you sre just doing so occasionally they work

EvilJohn
05-03-2006, 03:12
as brun says, waste of money- unless you need a paperweight ;)

bass_direct
05-03-2006, 10:59
waste of money mate, drains your electrical system..

upgrade you're wiring to 0 gauge and if you've got a big system, get a 2nd battery and split charge it

Dno194
06-03-2006, 12:55
Cheers for the replies!

The wiring is more than sufficient for the current draw. I'll save my cash then and leave the power caps alone. I'm getting the alternator cranked up as I don't have room for a 2nd battery to run a split charging system unfortunately.

Thanks

Deano

McPikie
07-03-2006, 23:48
OK, better than power caps is what we call in the audio world, the big three.

This means upgrading the under bonnet wiring to keep up with the current draw.

Lets say you have 4awg wire from the battery to the boot, you also need to do 4awg wire on the following

battery to chassis earth
Engine to chassis earth
alternator to batter power wire

This will stop lights dimming etc etc and is a hell of a lot cheaper than a power cap.

If you need any more advice on installs, give me a shout

Purple
08-03-2006, 02:01
Am curious too. What's the popular capacitance for these power caps? I suppose, can't be too big (battery will forever be charging it) nor too small (won't deliver the energy when needed).

McPikie
08-03-2006, 11:14
Half farrad or one farrad, but they are all shite nonetheless