PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage

ChrisJ
02-03-2006, 16:02
Hi Guys n Girls :D

Good to be among fellow Williams enthusiasts.

Currently stripping my Williams 3 to a bare shell for a full bare-metal respray (want to make sure it lasts at least another 20 years before the rust takes it!).

Going to build it back up so it is suitable for hillclimbs / trackdays.

Just after a little advice regarding a roll cage - unsure whether to go weld in or bolt in. Does anyone have any experience of cage installation, and which would be the best way to go?

Best to get a custom one built (Rollcentre racing??), or go with an existing off-the-shelf Sparco / OMP??

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Lunner
02-03-2006, 16:09
They have to biuld the cage insode the car anyways

AFAIK difference between weld in and bolt in is bolt in can be removed alot easier if you stack it, even with bolt in they styill weld metal plates to the car and then bolt it to those, weld in they weld metal plates ina nd then weld to the metal plates.

You wanna get rid of that sunroof too

northy
02-03-2006, 16:10
get a sparco weld in cage for around £600 mate

if your fitting a cage - do it properally.

Lunner
02-03-2006, 16:14
I'd get ti fitted unless you have the regs on minimun head to bar distance etc

Worked out differnce now

Bolt in goes in in sections and no welding of teh cage is needed, weld in actually requires welding assembly of the cage in car

Best bet seems to be the ones from custom cages from Demon tweeks

northy
02-03-2006, 16:40
s p a r c o

ChrisJ
02-03-2006, 16:52
Cheers guys

How much of a problem is that sunroof? Any experience of getting it filled?

Lunner
02-03-2006, 17:15
MArk Ritchspeed used to glue a metal plate to the underside and tyhen fill and paint over the top.

Ran a clio rally car

http://www.ritchspeed-imports.co.uk/stock.aspx

Disapeared off the face of the earth now lol

northy
02-03-2006, 17:50
with a cage u dont need to worry about a sunroof problem mate

the shell will be very ridgid.

but if u want to loose the sunroof - buy a williams 1 or a two and start again before u get in too deep.

trying to weld it - have no chance - the metals too thin.

best thing to do if u need a 3 without a roof - is to remove a late model clio roof (with no sunroof) from the breakers and have it welded in as per the original spot welds.

Lunner
02-03-2006, 17:53
but a sunroof is heavy ;)

stew
02-03-2006, 18:03
not if you get a poly carb one. maybe get a vent in it as well.

would be sweet!

just an idea like.

i hate sunroofs tho, wish they hadnt bothered! least mine is an early spec phase 1, with no electrics or winders. just up and down flip handle thing!

ChrisJ
02-03-2006, 18:13
Thanks for the info guys. Quite like the idea of the polycarb sunroof.

Everyone keeps telling me to sell it and get something more sensible / cheaper to run! Not possible though, totally hooked (even after 4 years of breakdowns and ever-increasing debt!).

Car needs so much doing to it, I decided it wasn't worth selling for the cash I'd get for it - makes much more sense to have it as a hobby / plaything / track car. Plus, couldn't bring myself to part with it - it's effectively part of me now!

It's currently totally stripped, bar the engine, just need to get some cash sorted out before I can do much more to it.

Any of u guys live near to Banbury? Would be good to catch up for some bevvies and talk motors - need all the advice I can get really.

Thanks again guys.

northy
02-03-2006, 18:16
if it was me - i would see if u can remove a roof successfully before u decide what to do.

if i caged mine - i'd leave it in.

the cage will slow the car down enough - a sunroof will hardly make a differance.

stew
02-03-2006, 18:20
Its a good plan that!

Its what im doing to my 16v hybrid.

Its worth more to me than anyone else already, so its staying with me as a track car when i can afford to run two cars. For the moment its a daily drive - stripped with buckets slag!

Just take your advice, get everything sprayed up before you put anything back in it.

Give the engine some attention while its out, and it should see you fine for many fun track days!

Martin
02-03-2006, 18:21
mmm cage....gonna cage mine once I've set a benchmark time for the 1/4 mile... :)

northy
02-03-2006, 18:30
mmm cage....gonna cage mine once I've set a benchmark time for the 1/4 mile... :)

why u buying the bananna back ?? :wink:

Martin
02-03-2006, 18:35
:roll: :P :wink:

2 live
02-03-2006, 20:52
yep custom cages are prob the best bet at the moment...£400 on their website for the multi point weld in cage......fia approved.

will need holes cuttin in the bulkhead too tho so the strut top triangulation pieces will fit

Lunner
02-03-2006, 21:01
Definatly, best cage and best price by far, presume the prices dont' include fitting though

richy
02-03-2006, 21:06
just get a roof skin which has no sunroof and remove the std skin and spot weld that in, will fit into same places and u wont have any mess, and buy the best cage u can afford, after all its there to save your life!

ChrisJ
03-03-2006, 13:00
Any of u have any experience of welding in a cage? My welding ain't the greatest, so any help greatly received!! Anyone know a ball park figure for getting one installed by the pros? Can't be cheap.....

Front subframe could also do with changing - anyone know if the competition version is any different, and if it is worth fitting? Noticed from the competition catalogue that the front sub and rear arm look slightly different to the stock parts.

ScottCup
03-03-2006, 13:18
i have just fitted an omp 10 point roll cage in my valver and it is very good however if you have got the money to spend i would go for a custom fitted cage from custom cages or somewhere like that, they will be a lot better for what you want.

northy
03-03-2006, 13:26
i would buy a new subframe and have it seam welded mate - thats all the competition ones are.

Lunner
03-03-2006, 18:33
Don't seam weld it stitch weld it, same results, lighter

Seam(or stitch welding) makes it GRP A spec