PDA

View Full Version : Stalling/ Revving

FlamingMonkey
28-02-2006, 16:52
Right been battleing with the Willy for ages now.

Car would stall first thing in a morning unless I let it idle for 30 sec or so first, sometimes it would rev itself to 1.5k, everyone though I wanted a race at the lights yet the car was reving itself. tried all these to sort, in this order ISCV, CTS, Map Sensor, Lambda, then Thermostat as the car wasn't getting up to temp.

Anyway once I changed the thermostat all was well for around 3 weeks, now the ****er is being a cunt again after visiting ATS to have the Decat re-sealed.

Now what it does is stall when it likes, warm or cold, plus it likes to rev randomly sometimes, with the revs dropping to like 500 then shoots up to 1.5 like its trying to keep itself alive, when its warm it's less prominent, but will stall randomly when dipping clutch/coming to a halt.

Nick Hills machine said Throttle Pot problem, took it to renno, they took off battery, fault never came back?

Anybody any suggestions before I drive the ****in piece of shit into the river?

1fast6
28-02-2006, 17:16
Have you tried replacing everything in gunners thread?

FlamingMonkey
28-02-2006, 17:18
Well he mentions lambda, map sensor, ISCV and I've tried those

Possibly an earthing issue?

diggs04
28-02-2006, 17:22
my car is just as bad as your but worse stalling everytime i stop or revs drop. every williams and 16v i know seems to have a similar problem you would think someone would have found a cure by now. ive been told to re earth the car and to change the fuel filter as it could be blocked with shit so engine is not getting enuff fuel so stalls.

everyday i say im gonna take my 16v down the scrapy coz its irriating and embrassing coz people think your stalling it. you cant keep pumping money into the car and getting no further in stopping the problem.

FlamingMonkey
28-02-2006, 17:25
Yeah mines annoying I sort it for a few weeks then the shitty piece of cunting shit comes back, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccccccckkkkkkkk!!!!!

I'm gonn hire a JCB and smash the mother****ing piece of shit into a million pieces and make millions of cock rings out of it

It's gotta be something and nothing, fuel filter was changed about a year ago on mine

1fast6
28-02-2006, 17:29
Mate have you not sanded / added the earths??

Thats the first thing to check because it costs nothing to fix but resolves loads of electrical/idle problems that are random.

Swervin_Mervin
28-02-2006, 17:30
I'm gonn hire a JCB and smash the mother****ing piece of s**t into a million pieces and make millions of cock rings out of it

AFPMSL! I've literally just sprayed a combo of tea and chocolate cereal bar over my desk. :P

1fast6
28-02-2006, 17:30
Have you checked the ecu for water damange? Have you gone over all connections in the bay with a fine tooth comb checking for water corosion?

FlamingMonkey
28-02-2006, 17:33
Mate have you not sanded / added the earths??

Thats the first thing to check because it costs nothing to fix but resolves loads of electrical/idle problems that are random.

Sounds good, no idea where all the earth are though? :shock:

FlamingMonkey
28-02-2006, 17:34
Have you checked the ecu for water damange? Have you gone over all connections in the bay with a fine tooth comb checking for water corosion?

Had the ECU out the other day for the remap, no signs of water damage

Appreciate the suggestions though

Swervin_Mervin
28-02-2006, 17:35
You done the speedo sensor earth? Made a difference on mine. Mine used to hunt around when coasting/braking to a stop. Until you stopped, then it would settle back up/down.

1fast6
28-02-2006, 17:35
lol. seriously need to develop a comprehensive guide with PICS that show where everything is, what the faults are and what to change including things that just require a bit of hard graft to get right.

Not sure where they all are on F7's but theres deffo one on the gearbox that attaches to the chassis. Sand the earthing mating surfaces with 80grit to get a better conduction.Don't forget the speedo earth.

FlamingMonkey
28-02-2006, 17:37
You done the speedo sensor earth? Made a difference on mine. Mine used to hunt around when coasting/braking to a stop. Until you stopped, then it would settle back up/down.

Started doing that, did you use a drill to go through the bit of metal lying around so you can screw into it, plus I know its the black wire you earth, but which bit when you cut into it, the bit that goes on the sender thingy?

FlamingMonkey
28-02-2006, 17:38
lol. seriously need to develop a comprehensive guide with PICS that show where everything is, what the faults are and what to change including things that just require a bit of hard graft to get right.

Not sure where they all are on F7's but theres deffo one on the gearbox that attaches to the chassis. Sand the earthing mating surfaces with 80grit to get a better conduction.Don't forget the speedo earth.

Cheers, take it its underneath the arch lineing, think I remeber seeing it

Swervin_Mervin
28-02-2006, 17:39
Can't remember mate. :P I tihnk I drilled a hole nearby and then used a self tapper to screw it down to, after soldering on a loop.

FlamingMonkey
03-03-2006, 10:22
It's sorted now, running as sweet as a nut, just passed the MOT too thanks to Jordy, handrake has never been as good.

MatBrown
03-03-2006, 12:36
What sorted it?

Mat.

diggs04
03-03-2006, 16:42
yeah please do tell how did you sort it?!

diggs04
03-03-2006, 16:43
yeah please do tell how did you sort it?!

FlamingMonkey
03-03-2006, 16:48
When I was arsing around changing throttle body, I didn't do up the negative terminal on the battery properly it would seem or perhaps it was a bad connection maybe. All seems sweet at the moment

This is what it was doing

http://www.coates.eclipse.co.uk/revving.wmv

VIPERONE
03-03-2006, 17:23
lol ojne of the biggest causes of faults is shite earths.. the gearbox earth effects how the engine runns... if it is a bad connection or intermittent connection it WILL cause your clio to stall.
another stall fault is a badly connecting iscv plug or a dame in the loom wiring which goes to the iscv.
if you ever inspect my bay i have 6 extra earths lol. my idle is a smooth 950k.. i have experienced every idle fault going and reckon i can fix any ones lol.

for a small fee ;-)

Tommo
03-03-2006, 17:29
Mine used to idle like a bitch, always stalling at lights when cold and hunting around just like that, sometimes even when fully warmed up. The new cat for MOT seemed to sort it, now idling is sweet as a nut, very reluctant to put the de-cat back on now as I don't want it to go back to the way it was, so annoying at times!!

Clio_GTT
03-03-2006, 19:07
I feel as if i'm the only person never to have idle problems, plus i ran without a gearbox earth strap for over a year :D