PDA

View Full Version : Phase 1 and 2 Differences help please.

jamie
27-02-2006, 22:25
Sorry Noob question I know but i'm on the lookout for a 16v so can you kind people please answer a few questions for me.

1-What are the main differences between the phase 1/2 16valve models? (I'm assuming that there were just the 2 phases of the 16v??)

2-What is the best model to go for between the phases and why?

Many Thanks all

Jamie

p.s If you think you may have the car for me feel free to get in contact.

I'm looking to spend about a £1000, the ideal car will have low millage, colour not important and in overall good condition bodywork etc, with an mot. I live near the gatwick airport area in surrey.

1fast6
27-02-2006, 22:27
use the search function boyo :wink:

Lunner
27-02-2006, 22:32
different rear lights, differnt bumnp strips, difffernt interior, ph2 has air bags/abs

Personally i prefer ph1 as it has no air bags/abs

Scott-16v!
27-02-2006, 23:31
early ph2's dont have airbags :wink:

Clio b
27-02-2006, 23:55
use the search function boyo :wink:

hmmm not very helpful r ya! the site is here to help people meany! not that i can tho! sowee! :D

Justin..
28-02-2006, 00:03
abs was an option

Swervin_Mervin
28-02-2006, 01:12
Sorry Noob question I know but i'm on the lookout for a 16v so can you kind people please answer a few questions for me.

1-What are the main differences between the phase 1/2 16valve models? (I'm assuming that there were just the 2 phases of the 16v??)

2-What is the best model to go for between the phases and why?

Many Thanks all

Jamie

p.s If you think you may have the car for me feel free to get in contact.

I'm looking to spend about a £1000, the ideal car will have low millage, colour not important and in overall good condition bodywork etc, with an mot. I live near the gatwick airport area in surrey.

Roight. I'd consider myself a bit of an authoritah on this now.

Phase 1s have smaller door mirrors, metal/rubber rubbing side strips, 16v badges on the side repeater, flat rear lights and a flush tailgate trim. They also have different shaped front seats and no airbags.

Phase 2s have bulbous rear lights, larger door mirrors, a carbon effect bootstrip that isn't flush with the tailgate, no badging on the side repeaters and plastic one piece rubbing strips.

HOWEVER

early ph1s also had 16v badging on the B-pillars, no 16v badging on the side repeaters, and "Clio 16v" on the boot strip (as opposed to the later ph1 wchich just had Clio). They also had a slightly different trim inside which was blue and yellow I believe. Some very, very early ones had orange front indicator lenses and a chrome strip along the front bonnet lip.

All ph1s had "turbines" and ph2s had a different desigin that were 5spokes.

Ph1s are the one to have. :wink:

1fast6
28-02-2006, 01:21
hmmm not very helpful r ya! the site is here to help people meany! not that i can tho! sowee! :D

Sorry, wasn't meaning to be pedantic just thought he'd find his answer quicker by running a search...

Glad you loved my advice though :wink:

jamie
28-02-2006, 06:32
Thanks for all the advice all, been a great help.

So out of the people here, what do you guys prefere the phase 1's or 2's and why?

Swervin_Mervin
28-02-2006, 11:05
ph1s, because they don't look gay. :lol:

stew
28-02-2006, 11:08
Ive got the best of both worlds (IMO)

Early phase 1, but phase 2 bootstrip, lights, bumpstrips, grill!

Phase 2 looks much better IMO, but phase 1 is defo more hardcore! :wink:

dalla
28-02-2006, 12:20
A bit out of thread, sorry about that!! But my ph.1 Valver has all the mentioned early features such as 16V bading on the pillars, no 16V logo on the side repeaters, black seat belts etc. But it haven't got the orange front indicators. I was told by the former owner (first owner), that it was one of the very first Valver's to come into Germany, and that it was used by Renault Germany for motorshows. Does anybody know what month of 1991 that the orange indicators changed to clear???

Cheers
Dennis

Swervin_Mervin
28-02-2006, 12:57
Reeeeaaaallllly early. I've only seen them on the press car photos in the borshures and on a pre-production version that was for sale on ebay over here a few months back.

Scott-16v!
28-02-2006, 13:18
pics and a bit of info here that i wrote a while ago to help somebody out on the phases :)
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=123373

GazTwo
28-02-2006, 13:56
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/index.php?get=tech

northy
28-02-2006, 14:10
thanks gaz....glad that sections been getting some use lol