PDA

View Full Version : Headlining! FAO : Martin, Winston, Gaz, Graig, Lunner etc

stew
27-02-2006, 22:08
Eventually got round to removing the headlining from my clio at the weekend. How the hell do i get rid of that bastid black rubbery shit on the roof? I tried heating it up with a heat gun and using a stanley knife cut almost all of it off. There is still a little left on....any top tips for getting it off?

Have you painted over it Gaz? How did it come up? How is the black paint holding up? Is it chipping off at all? Im thinking of spraying the inside of mine over the summer after i put a full cage in it!

Cheers 8)

Lunner
27-02-2006, 22:09
I just left it there, couldn't be arsed lol

GazTwo
27-02-2006, 23:54
I've left the glue their, I did spray the roof when I'd finished as I had plenty of spray left but I've put the roof lining back up so the inside doesn't get damp.....don't want ice on the inside and out.... :? ....roof lining weighs nothing.

Paint hasn't flaked off and still looks fine....just give it a quick wipe and it's sorted.... :D

stew
28-02-2006, 01:19
ahh well. cheers for the comments.

i just thought that with no interior it was a bit stupid having the roof lining in!

8)

Winston
28-02-2006, 01:27
Heat gun and t cut ....I left the black shit ...extra tho :P

Lunner
28-02-2006, 10:12
I've left the glue their, I did spray the roof when I'd finished as I had plenty of spray left but I've put the roof lining back up so the inside doesn't get damp.....don't want ice on the inside and out.... :? ....roof lining weighs nothing.

Paint hasn't flaked off and still looks fine....just give it a quick wipe and it's sorted.... :D

Only ever had ice on teh inside of my windscreen, never on the inside of the roof, and interior has never got damp :D

northy
28-02-2006, 10:40
It took me a day to remove the glue from the underside of the headlining when i was repairing the sunroof.

The headlining is now velcro'ed inplace if i ever want to remove it again.

I used a knife blade to remove the thickness from the adhesive and then polished with T-Cut to remove completely.

I will post a picture up tomorrow. I think mat brown has a copy of the picture i took

stew
28-02-2006, 11:05
cheers northy / winston!

did the t-cut hammer the paint surface? (i kinda want it to stay blue for a while until i can get a week or so free to spray in the interior of my car (and put a cage in))

GazTwo
28-02-2006, 11:13

Only ever had ice on teh inside of my windscreen, never on the inside of the roof, and interior has never got damp :D

Thats what I mean, don't won't it getting damp inside and I end up with a frozen windscreen inside.

The night I left the paint to dry the roof was frozen inside in the morning.... :? ...that's why I decided to put it back up.

Martin
28-02-2006, 19:23

Thats what I mean, don't won't it getting damp inside and I end up with a frozen windscreen inside.

The night I left the paint to dry the roof was frozen inside in the morning.... :? ...that's why I decided to put it back up.

Pansy

Lunner
28-02-2006, 19:56
Pussy, and i get ice with a full interior in :lol:

If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk, go back to your partially stripped pansy waggon :wink:

GazTwo
28-02-2006, 20:31
PMSL..... :lol:

Martin
28-02-2006, 20:45
hehe after seeing scott's valver I wanna ditch the dashboard!

GazTwo
28-02-2006, 20:52
**** that after watching your spinning vids u need to get a bit of weight in for track days.....loosing it under braking in a straight line....get that rear end sorted!!!!

Lunner
28-02-2006, 20:58
No he needs to rudce rear brake bias....2 mins job, just pull teh brake bias lever out (IIRC), and get the back end drpopped a bit more, get a bit more weight onto it

Martin
28-02-2006, 21:06
lunner knows the script...beside loosing weight from the front is good.....battery relocation to boot? lol

You sorted the slowness of the nana?

Lunner
28-02-2006, 21:07
Yup, want 50/50 weight distribution ideally

Need a red top battery or install a permanent vent if you put an acid one int eh car

Red top is lighter ;)

Lunner
28-02-2006, 21:08
Have you removed that charcoal canister bracket yet martin?

And the sound deadening from behind the dash?

GazTwo
28-02-2006, 21:15

Yeah seems to have sorted it's self now.

stew
28-02-2006, 21:51
how do i fully remove the sound deadening from behind the dash? is it easy enough to take the dash out?

ive just cut as much out as possible so far!

:roll:

Martin
01-03-2006, 00:10

On it's own or battery off..? Makes a fair difference i reckon

Martin
01-03-2006, 00:11
Have you removed that charcoal canister bracket yet martin?

And the sound deadening from behind the dash?

Not done the bracket yet can't be arsed....no sound deadning left at all...

Stew it is'nt difficult at all just a bit fiddly getting the dash off and not taking the alarm, fuses and stuff off at the same time...lol

GazTwo
01-03-2006, 00:19

On it's own or battery off..? Makes a fair difference i reckon

Battery off over night, seems a lot better now.... :D

Martin
01-03-2006, 00:36
:D told ya.....I'd do it every month or so to keep it running properly.

Daz.
05-03-2006, 23:38
:D told ya.....I'd do it every month or so to keep it running properly.

I thought that was a myth!

Should have tried that with the valver...

How much work is it though, i mean every month having to reset the clock and tuning radio 2 back in... I couldn't cope!

And whats wrong with radio 2?! 8)

Plattsy
05-03-2006, 23:49
dash can be quite annoying to get out, a few pop rivets to drill out and clips to undo....looks a mess though with all the wiring....
dash hardly weighs anything either tbh