PDA

View Full Version : earth

steveos_16valver
27-02-2006, 18:29
rite people decided to add a few new earth cables eg 5 :)
where shall i put them
1 to gear box mount
1 to engine lifting eye/ head area
1 to chassis
1 to bottom block possibly ??

i got about 5 1m length earth cables taken out a loom @ work so just going to use them

Purple
27-02-2006, 22:57
Anywhere that may involve high current or voltage, such as ignition pack, plugs. alternator.

BenR
27-02-2006, 23:10
earth them all to different points on the chassis and engine, its pointless if you earth them all to the same single point etc like earthing kits do.

steveos_16valver
28-02-2006, 00:41
Anywhere that may involve high current or voltage, such as ignition pack, plugs. alternator.

plugs...
how to connect them to spark plugs ?? iv seen the ht leads with them but i dont seee how with out cutting the lead ???

Purple
28-02-2006, 00:49

Sorry, I should have said:-

Connect to chassis earth near equipment that may involve high current or voltage, such as ignition pack, plugs. alternator.

So, for the plugs, I would suggest an earth cable to the top of engine block near the plugs.

mattyc
28-02-2006, 12:18
what do you actually gain from doing this ?

Purple
28-02-2006, 12:33
Will gain nothing if the original earth is healthy. But if there are small resistances along the earth (due to ageing wires, bad termination, contact oxidation etc), the extra earth cables should fix that. Even very small resistances may lose a volt or 2 for high current stuff like alternators. Couple of old battery jumper cables should be good enough.