PDA

View Full Version : New Suspension Review

Swervin_Mervin
26-02-2006, 19:33
Given I've only changed the top mounts and front shocks.....WOW. :shock:

Took it for an extended test drive round a few roundabouts locally. I really cannot believe the difference. Turnin in so much sharper I was massively over-turning the wheel.

I assume that a lot of that is down to new bearings, 'cos the old ones were full of crap and felt horrible if you rotated them, dead gritty.

And it's not crashy anymore, at all. Really want to do a full refurb more than ever now. I'd probably keep the old springs on though, because I can' be arsed undoing the strut assembly again! :P

TriO`
26-02-2006, 19:47
cool, what exactly are the top mounts though ?? ontop of the suspension turret?

Swervin_Mervin
26-02-2006, 19:50
Above the top hat that the spring sits in, there is a bearing and then a rubber bush that sits under the turret, with a reatining nut above the turret.

All I can say is, if you don't know how old your suspension is, get it changed and then marvel at your new car. 8)

richy
26-02-2006, 19:57
nice one mate, mine is all new on the williams, just i run higher poundage springs!

northy
27-02-2006, 09:14
good news mike.

white16valver
27-02-2006, 17:08
can't wait to get mine back - going full, almost all new, willy set up, with engine mounts and top mounts getting done as well :D

Swervin_Mervin
27-02-2006, 17:13
can't wait to get mine back - going full, almost all new, willy set up, with engine mounts and top mounts getting done as well :D

Gah! :wink:

white16valver
28-02-2006, 13:06
Can't afford a williams in one go so I'm doing it bit by bit ;)

(Though, to be honest, it'll probably just be cheaper to buy one... lol)

OliS
28-02-2006, 22:59
Good to hear that fitting the new suspension has worked out for you, ours is going in to be sorted later on this week, can't wait for the results!

We are doing top mounts and shockers as well, but are undecided about springs as original Reno items are £160 and I have seen elsewhere on this forum that only Reno springs will do. Other than the spring being physically broken, how can you tell if you need new springs? Does the performance of the springs deteriote over time? :?

Swervin_Mervin
01-03-2006, 15:52
Not sre Oli. I have so far noticed a hyooooooge difference though. I suspect that of all the bits to replace the springs will have the least impact tbh. Bushes and balljoint, and track rod ends are what I would do first, especially given the costs!

OliS
04-03-2006, 15:03
Picked the Willy up today after having new shockers, top mounts, arb bushes, and as Swervin_Mervin said in the first post - WOW!

What a difference, the car rides and handles so much better, crashes and knocks from the front suspension are gone and mid-corner bumps no longer upset the front end - it is so sweet! :D

Now I've just got to prize the keys out of the gf's hands, no easy job now, might just have to sneak out of the house during the night for a drive whilst she is sleeping!

white16valver
04-03-2006, 19:44
Stop teasing me! :shock: I want mine to be done! LoL

MatBrown
04-03-2006, 19:48
Should be ready for next weekend.

Mat.

white16valver
04-03-2006, 20:27
Woohoo! :D

dannyt
05-03-2006, 10:32
good news mate, can you buy top mounts etc for up-dated susp from reno or is it different stuff?

Zollo
05-03-2006, 16:31
Just wait until you get the track rods and tracking re-done Merv. Praise be!

BRUN
05-03-2006, 16:51
how much are top mounts ?

OliS
05-03-2006, 19:04
The garage who fitted them (Rentech) got ours from GSF for just under £10 a side, Renault items are around £30 a side iirc.

BRUN
05-03-2006, 21:08
bargain ........ how much is it roughly in labour to get these done

Swervin_Mervin
05-03-2006, 23:31
I'll do it for you. It's a piss easy job really.

Matt, what difference does the track rods make? Tracking was the first thing I had done after a new column.

Zollo
06-03-2006, 10:30
I had everything else done on mine first, and to be honest was a little dissappointed with it. Then when I had the track-rods done, everything came together. Very big difference to the steering; more direct, turn-in crisper, much less understeer (tracking must have been way out). It'll depend on each example I suppose, though. You may not even notice a difference.

I got them for 25 each side (got the tie-rods too, so 100 all-in from Renault with discount) and got them fitted and the tracking done for free :D

richy
06-03-2006, 19:46
I had everything else done on mine first, and to be honest was a little dissappointed with it. Then when I had the track-rods done, everything came together. Very big difference to the steering; more direct, turn-in crisper, much less understeer (tracking must have been way out). It'll depend on each example I suppose, though. You may not even notice a difference.

I got them for 25 each side (got the tie-rods too, so 100 all-in from Renault with discount) and got them fitted and the tracking done for free :D

i changed all my tie roads and track rods, had steering column welded and fitted new shockers/springs and shocker tops/bearinsg all at once lol

sooo much better, just need to renew the arb bushes and new bottom arms to! this weekend it will be in bits again lol