PDA

View Full Version : Bloody French Tat

Swervin_Mervin
26-02-2006, 15:07
:evil:

Mate came round yesterday at 9am to give us a hand cahnging my front shocks and mounts.

Got the 2 swivel hub bolts out and tried to undo the top nuts.

Feckers were siezed solid. We tried all sorts. Resorted to cutting the metal ring off to drop the strut out, using a dremel style tool. Took all 4 cutting discs to cut that off.

Then we still had the nut to get off to get the spring off and the top hat. In the end, after trying all sorts (including drilling it out, trying to remove the bottom cup etc, etc) we borrowed an angle grinder from a mate of his and cut the feckers off.

18:30 I finished and still needed to torque up the top nuts. But i packed in 'cos I hadn't eaten, was freezing my bollocks off and wanted a drink.

Bought a 22mm offset spanner from Halfrauds this am, as they're the only places open on a sunday. It's too big to get a grip on the nut, so I improvised and used my filter wrench round the outer ring whilst torque-ing up the allen bit.

My ****ing 6mm allen socket then snapped.

Anyway I've nipped them up as tight as possible with a filter wrench and allen key.

Will this be ok?

Lunner
26-02-2006, 15:21
Should ahve used an impact wrench, £20 for a cheapie jobbie from Argos, off in about 2 mins

I had just as much trouble.

As long as they are pretty tight should be ok, just pop it to a garage on monday and get them to just tighten them up, oh and get some allen keys that fit onto a socket set, MUCH stronger

Swervin_Mervin
26-02-2006, 15:28
I had an allen socket if that's what you mean Lunner?

Car feels alright. Just drove it round the block.

I assume that top mount just stops the thing from dropping out/moving about really?

richy
26-02-2006, 15:44
yeah just stops it flying out when u do 20ft bridge jumps lol as long as its tightened up enough so it wont undo itself it should be fine, and yes a impact gun is best lol

Swervin_Mervin
26-02-2006, 15:47
Best in that it might work. The angle grinder was great fun though. :P

I'll get some pics of the mess we made. Car feels MASSIVELY better.

Just need to try and look at the rear brakes now. That can wait though 'til my body has healed.

richy
26-02-2006, 15:54
great fun isnt it! lol i spent most of yesturday gettign william fixed and on the road again!