PDA

View Full Version : New Willy Owner (kind of!!)

NorthernScooby
24-02-2006, 23:32
Hi There,

Brief story, I bought a Williams 1 about 7 months ago now, I have a P1 Impreza as my main car and running 350bhp with no cats etc it costs far too much to run day to day so I wanted a cheeky weekday car and going back ten years or so when I bought a valver I always dreamt of buying a Williams, I got one via ebay and it's mint inside but externally needed some love, anyway over the last seven months it hasnt had much, just the girlfriend driving it day to day with a dodgy drivers door with a faulty leccy window and an exhaust blowing and no speakers....but anyway the scooby had a bit of a defi fault meaning its off the road so ive really been driving the Willy a lot for the last three weeks and i'll be honest am really in love with the thing, so to my point, what should I do to it? any tips or suggestions on how I can get this little beast doing a bit more.

The last week I have bought a replacement door so the window issue etc. will be sorted, I have bought a Mongoose full system to sort the zorst, have bought some Alpine speakers to give me some sounds but what next? As its a second car really want to keep it cheap but looking for some help, and also a question....

The steering is really light with an inch or so play in the wheel, I reckon bushes, is it common? and how easy or how much to fix? also shocks, how much etc as think it has a bit of a lean at the back. any help or suggestions would be appreciated, so taken up couldnt really give a toss when the scoobs is fixed the girlfriend can drive that, i like getting 300 miles per tank as opposed to 140.

Oh, one last thing, bonnets, anyone know of any going spare???

Purple
25-02-2006, 00:37
The steering is really light with an inch or so play in the wheel, I reckon bushes, is it common? and how easy or how much to fix? also shocks, how much etc as think it has a bit of a lean at the back. any help or suggestions would be appreciated
The steering play is likely to be the steering column bush has gone. Very common fault and most people weld it rather than replace the column. You will enjoy the handling far more when that is fixed.

As for upgrades on a budget, for starters:
1. Replace the drop-in air fillter element
2. Get a gunnerchip chip upgrade. PM gunnergibson here.
3. Make sure the earth points are clean and properly secured.
4. Replace suspension bushes and shocks (if they are worn).

Dancliovalver
25-02-2006, 07:51
yep woult definatly say a chip of some sort, and a decat for ur exhaust, lunner makes those up, he's cheao and their easy to fit :D sorted