PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking brakes

Laine_16v
23-02-2006, 20:32
Hi,

My brakes squeak :p.

They were fine before crhistmas but since then theyve taken a bit of abuse and start to squeal when braking. Not much...but you can hear it.

I dont believe the pads are worn, i read something about bruning off copper grease when they are used hard lots?

Can i put more copper grease on? Or do i need new brakes? :P

Clio_GTT
23-02-2006, 20:34
Undo the caliper from the carrier and stick some copper grease on the backs of the pads, just to stop em sticking

Lunner
23-02-2006, 20:55
Bear in mind renault, and haynes recommend using new guide pin bolts each time they are removed.

These can be ordered from renault

GUIDE PIN BOLT
77 01 020 243 BOLT CALLIPER .50 ---3 x 1

steveos_16valver
23-02-2006, 22:22
no dont use copper grease it horrible stuff

if u use copper grease the dest sticks to the grease and can cause the calipers to bind

whats happend is the pads have glazed either take the pads out and rub them on a flat bit of sand paper or find a quite road wack it in reverse hammer it and wack the brakes on do it a couple of times and it will sort it

i do this several times a day because citroens are renound for it

its also caused by a build up of dust

try thoese two ideas first as there free and if that doesent do it replace the pads

Bear in mind renault, and haynes recommend using new guide pin bolts each time they are removed.

These can be ordered from renault

GUIDE PIN BOLT
77 01 020 243 BOLT CALLIPER .50 ---3 x 1

so do citroen but since i worked there iv never seen any 1 do it and our ct has never done it in 30 odd year !

Lunner
23-02-2006, 22:47
Fair enough, good ol thread lock out again then

BRUN
23-02-2006, 22:54
i cant see copper grease being a problem, every garage in the land puts it on the back of pads to stop them making a noise, everyone does it and has done for years and years

Swervin_Mervin
24-02-2006, 10:30
What Brun said.

katbloke
24-02-2006, 10:40
Squealing is usually a build of a brake dust and copper grease is the norm on the backs and top and bottom edges of the pads, take the pads out clean em off rough up the face a bit, thoroughly clean the calipers where the pads touch, use an old screwdriver against the edge of the discs to remove any loose rust etc that prob will be there reassemble job done.
(he says)

Laine_16v
24-02-2006, 10:41
Ok ill try this reversing fast then braking technique. i dont really know how to take the brakes apart so wouldnt really know how to apply the copper grease :oops:

steveos_16valver
24-02-2006, 14:00
i cant see copper grease being a problem, every garage in the land puts it on the back of pads to stop them making a noise, everyone does it and has done for years and years
ok explain to me how putting copper grease on the backing of the pad will stop it squeeking ?? nothing there movers except the piston ???????? and thats not whats squeeling ???

and yes i know a lot of garages do it but it makes it worse!!!!!!!!!! as the dust sticks to it ?????

yea i can understand putting it in the pad sliders but notr on the back sorry think you totally wrong there !!!

Swervin_Mervin
24-02-2006, 14:10
Mine squealed right from the off because I didn't put enough grease on the backing plates on NEW pads.

Then the garage put some round the edges of the backing plates and it stopped squealing.

The pads do actually move a small amount IMO as the disc passes through. This tends to only occur at low speeds. I bet those with squealy brakes don't suffer it at high braking force, simply because the pad is clamped that hard it cannot move inside the caliper housing/bracket

IMO mine squealed because the edges of teh backing plates were rubbing on the housing.