PDA

View Full Version : Valver gearboxes!

Andyvalver
23-02-2006, 15:34
:roll:

They are wank! I broke mine again last night :cry: Not completly though lol. I just cant get 2nd gear at all when moving, it will go in but it feels like its grinding on everycog in there so i cant really use it. On the way home from work earlier i couldnt get 5th at all either for some reason. I tried to push it in but it wouldnt have it at all lol. Then for some reason goin down my road 5th is ok again :? ****in wank!!

The box has only done about 10k and ive broke it already :x Best get me wallet out i guess :(

J o n
23-02-2006, 15:41
hmmm.... I bought my gearbox for next to nowt of 2 live and it had about 30 odd K on it... it's crunching into 2nd, 3rd and 4th and a bit notchy, but **** me it's had some abuse to be fair and on a willy engine... I'm being better lately though, been very mild with changes for a few months

Andyvalver
23-02-2006, 16:03
Its pissed me right off though as it was only reconditiond last summer :x
Dunno what to do at the moment, think im just gonna drive it til there are no gears left lol. Engine out again after that i guess :roll: That will mean ive had the engine out every year i have owned it lol. :(

Unless anyone knows whats up with it? Whats the crack with the circlip everyone goes on about?

J o n
23-02-2006, 16:15
dunno, but it sounds like a shit rebuild mate, my box has done about 20k+ from me and not had the easiest of lives! i'd go back to them personally, as my 10+ year old one is holding up better, which should certainly not be the case, especially as it has almost 6 times the mileage

Swervin_Mervin
23-02-2006, 16:16
:roll:

They are wank! I broke mine again last night :cry: Not completly though lol. I just cant get 2nd gear at all when moving, it will go in but it feels like its grinding on everycog in there so i cant really use it. On the way home from work earlier i couldnt get 5th at all either for some reason. I tried to push it in but it wouldnt have it at all lol. Then for some reason goin down my road 5th is ok again :? ****in wank!!

The box has only done about 10k and ive broke it already :x Best get me wallet out i guess :(

Is it a Renault refurb or other? I'd get a proper Renault 'box tbh.

Andyvalver
23-02-2006, 16:25
Its done by my dads friend who builds boxes for a living. He did it on the side mate. Thing is that i dont want a to buy a renault one for £600 when the car is worth 1k max.

J o n
23-02-2006, 16:30
Reno box's aint £600 unless you get a Williams one! lol

think valver ones are £300-400 all in!

Swervin_Mervin
23-02-2006, 16:31
Boooo. Get in to the spirit of it all and spunk thousands. :P :(

Andyvalver
23-02-2006, 17:11
pmsl :lol:

How come the willy box is lots more? How much stronger is it?

Dan_Williams
23-02-2006, 17:22
close ratio i would of thought

Lunner
23-02-2006, 17:36
Its a stronger box

Swervin_Mervin
23-02-2006, 17:48
Are they heavier?

J o n
23-02-2006, 17:56
box weights are not too dissimilar, Willy box is supposed to be stronger, but if you drive them hard they only last the same... ie shite fragile design and parts. I'd imagine if you drove them normally that would be the only time you'd see a valver box spit it's gear out onto the road first tbh

i'll get a valver box again unless I can get a sadev or equally strong box from somewhere at a reasonable price (bearing in mind a sadev 6spd is worth more than most Williams lol)

Lunner
23-02-2006, 17:58
£6k iirc c/w shifter as found in btcc cars 8)

Dan_mk1
23-02-2006, 19:52
Hmm, mines on 98k and taken plenty of abuse with no signs of wear yet (Touches wood)

Andyvalver
23-02-2006, 20:23
Gutted! Didnt realise winston was selling his willy engine and box :x Ive missed it now but would of snapped that up for £800 all in :evil: I would of been aranging a small loan now lol

richy
23-02-2006, 20:29
the williams jc5 box has press+heat fitted gears were as the jb3 valverbox gears are held by crappy clips, the diff is basicly the same , the bearings are stonger in the box itself on jc5, iirc it was some cheaper crappy bearings used in jb3's

and yes renault boxs are shite anyway, my mount snapped again causing me load of grief again, got to take cup outof diff and **** about again!

MAXIBOY
23-02-2006, 20:38
sadev box group buy any one. what discount can we get

Lunner
23-02-2006, 21:22
not enough to even bring it close to my price range lol

Clio_GTT
23-02-2006, 21:24
6k for a gearbox, your having a giraffe

MAXIBOY
23-02-2006, 21:27
think i am going to need one soon though have been enquiring

Lunner
23-02-2006, 21:29

Its not just a box, its a quick change gearshift system, and LSD iirc, and a VERY strong box

Clio_GTT
23-02-2006, 21:43

Its not just a box, its a quick change gearshift system, and LSD iirc, and a VERY strong box

could be gold plated aswell mate, doesn't justify the price tag, i'm sure its had loads of R&D but for a mk1 clio thats worth all of £50, people need to wake up and smell the coffee

MAXIBOY
23-02-2006, 21:54
cant afford coffee i own a clio

Clio_GTT
23-02-2006, 22:14
LOL atleast you've got a sense of humour, i could see people takin offence to my comment, i also own a clio :D

clowo16v
23-02-2006, 22:42
Its cheaper to keep blowing it up than run a Sadev, plus I would think the Sadev will need regular rebuilds as it is a race gearbox.

Hopefully when I get the engine and box sorted in my Clio I should have made a JC5 than can handle the power.

See ya

Matt

MAXIBOY
24-02-2006, 00:30
got a rebuilt and uprated JC5 with loads of mods and a gripper at the moment but the horse power keeps going up and wonder how long it will last. been told it will be alright in this spec as long as i dont run slicks but so many gearbox horror stories on here i am already looking into all the options. this is the best place for finding the truth.

2 live
24-02-2006, 09:20
sadev box group buy any one. what discount can we get

lol.i arranged a group buy with quite a big discount for 5+ boxes.....but no1 else was intrested lol.

would still have been bout 5k tho

J o n
24-02-2006, 09:23

could be gold plated aswell mate, doesn't justify the price tag, i'm sure its had loads of R&D but for a mk1 clio thats worth all of £50, people need to wake up and smell the coffee

exactly, £5k, £6k, makes no odds, its still an unrealistic price that no one in their right mind would pay for... the 5 speed for £2.5k is an option, but again this is sadly not priced realistically.

2 live
24-02-2006, 09:32
my prices were for the dearer road box tho.......not the race box as that will need rebuilding quite regularly to keep it in a1 condition....and is quite a bit cheaper than the road 1

the road box can go a lot longer between services

and they tell me that a service on em isnt actually a box out job.....dunno if i believe that like lol

Tommo
24-02-2006, 11:12
Just hope mine doesn't explode, don't know how much I'd be lookin at with the LSD?? Read so many horror stories on here I'm beginning to get worried, it's never been the slickest box either..... :(

Andyvalver
24-02-2006, 15:10
tbh mate, ive not heard many strorys on here about the williams box breaking. It seems to always be the valvers :roll: lol

:(

Tommo
24-02-2006, 16:33
Hope that's the case mate, just become a little notchy goin from 1st to 2nd, it's got a service coming up so will get them to change the oil for Fresh LSD Castrol stuff and see if it improves. If not may have to go to D R Engineering for a rebuild next year, god knows how much that would cost!!!

dannyboy
24-02-2006, 16:42
maxiboy- what mods do you have on your car please? i'm currently modding a 2ltr lump, and woudl like some advice!

Andyvalver
24-02-2006, 19:10
Engine is coming out on sunday at my dads workplace 8) Which is a good thing becuase we will have a ramp and air tools :P The guy who did my box might be sortin it for free :D Will wait and see though. Car will be off the road for a week i think. :cry: Think a clip as broke causing the gears to slide about lol. Sometime cant get into 5th after goin round a right hand bend lol. Cant really drive it incase the box smashes and then i will have to pay :(

MAXIBOY
24-02-2006, 21:04
Well even sadev will not sell me a box. told they dont make boxes for that torque output. hope the jc5 holds out then. dannyboy my spec list is posted elsewhere but its a clio 1.8 high boost turbo just under going a rebuild in the quest to find 400 reliable horse power. the gearbox was rebuilt by bernie at cps who has done a few of these for the rally boys and thinks it will be fine with road tyres but would suffer if i ran slicks. i know he had there gears shot peened and polished fitted a gripper diff and did work on the circlips that hold it all together. should be back together soon so i will keep you all informed. for any advice on the two litre engine tuning speak to ben r on here. hes more knowlegable than me neil