PDA

View Full Version : Green Or Blue

20-02-2006, 13:33
Just installing the 16v oil gauges and at first i put the green plug into the gauges and nothing lit up however the oil pressure gauge went well of the clock :lol:

Then i found the blue plug which makes the gauges work (well as well as they can with the RSi engine)

so what does the green plug do?

http://www.zen32679.zen.co.uk//Green.jpg

Green /\

Blue \/

http://www.zen32679.zen.co.uk//Blue.jpg

Lunner
20-02-2006, 14:59
What works then?

Can';t remember which plug i used, btu think it was the blue plug, and the level worked, but temp and pressure didn't.

What year is your RSi, also according teh dialogies the F3P engine doesn't ahve temp and pressure sender units

20-02-2006, 15:13
well when the green was plugged in the Pressure gauge moved to way above 6 bar and when the engine was off it went down to nothing again. however nothing else worked...

When the blue was plugged in the Level worked however the pressure and temp didnt... it also lit up when the lights where on.

mine is N reg (95-96)

Lunner
20-02-2006, 15:29
Yeah figures with what i got, green uis ovbously a permanent live on teh pressure pin or something.

Blue is the plug that you are supposed to use, but the RSi engine doesn't have oil temp/pressure senders

20-02-2006, 15:36
aye, just wondered what it was. Thought it might be something to do with a temp gauge ?!?!?

As it was tucked behind the main gauge....

Loz
20-02-2006, 19:34
i'm pretty sure the green plug is for the outside temp...

may be wrong though!

1fast6
20-02-2006, 19:40
Yep green is for the outside temp sender so i'm guessing for a valver main clocks dash?

As lunner said, blue is the correct item. You guys are lucky, my car does not even register the oil level when its plugged in :( I'm having to feed resisted current to the dials to get anything to display.

An interesting note is, i have run a feed from the oil level sender for the main dials to the new ones but i've only been able to get it to affect the oil pressure gauge or the oil temp. Anything BUT the oil level. Got annoyed in the end so i've left it.

When the car's ignition is on, the oil pressure rises slowly and then shoots up to max just like the oil level dial on the main clocks. Just a temporary fix but at least they arent all down.

20-02-2006, 19:41
anyone got any pictures of the back of the 16v rev counter / speedo gauge?

20-02-2006, 19:42
when the car moves the oil level reads 0...

it only registers anything when the ingnition is on and the car is stationary

1fast6
20-02-2006, 19:51
^^ it's supposed to do that. Can't get an accurate reading while the engine is on.

20-02-2006, 19:59
i know it supposed to do that... i thought you didnt

1fast6
20-02-2006, 20:58
lol ok.

In any case, i have no idea why the oil level doesn't work on this engine loom without modification.

gutted.

20-02-2006, 21:19
how hard would it be to get the oil temp / pressure working on the RSi engine?

Quite tempted to leave them in as ive grown quite fond of em now... i was going to replace them with a 7" monitor :)

Unsure now, also how easy would it be to wire up the outside temp display?

Crossers
20-02-2006, 22:10
Simple answer, they won't.

Well, you could get the temp gauge to work by adding a wire, the pressure gauge would be a no go really. Its tapped into the rear of the block, beneith the manifolds.

Paul

Lunner
21-02-2006, 19:07
You need to get new gauges ans sender units, and get a snadwich plate and fit the senders to that.

I ahve the snadwich plate but waiting on funds for the gauges

AmDaMan
16-03-2007, 14:03
sorry to drag this up, been trying to get my gauges to work for ages.

I've got a hybrid 1.4, i found the blue plug tucked in behind the wires in my dash for the oil clocks, so I plugged this in and only the oil level works, like most people that have tried.

So where do the wires from this plug go? On the 91' valver it went to a brown plug in the dash. On this 94' 1.4 it goes somewhere else, does anyone know where?

Because surely it's a loom problem somewhere because it's a valver loom plugging into a 1.4 loom in the engine bay. Has anyone ever actually got them to work in 1.4/1.2 hybrid?