PDA

View Full Version : Welding a cage etc

Lunner
17-02-2006, 13:03
I was told that when you weld a harness bar etc that you need to do special welds as normal ones woudl shear under the sudden forces in the event of a crash.

Sounds like bullshit from a compnay justifying charging stupidly high prices, but wanted to check

Clio_GTT
17-02-2006, 13:26
Its your life on the line, especially on a harness bar, i wouldn't trust my life to a couple of mig welds mate, get it done pukka, don't wanna see u dead :cry:

Lunner
17-02-2006, 13:27
This is what i'm asking, is there a certain type of welding?

I know 1" of a good MIG weld is supposed to be able to hold 1 tonne

clowo16v
17-02-2006, 13:29
MiG is plenty strong enough for a cage just make sure the ends of the tube are prepped well and use a decent sized welder. TiG is better but they'll charge a fortune for it even though its not that difficult to do, just the preparation takes a bit longer and the actual welder costs more.

See ya

Matt

McPikie
17-02-2006, 13:34
aren't they supposed to be seam welded with TiG?

Fred
17-02-2006, 16:30
i would want TIG, its a much more focused and controlled weld, puts less heat into the metal when welding, strongset and sexiest form of welding

MIG - any monkey can mig, but getting the depth of penetration correct is harder than you think! (que jokes!)

MMA - again any numpty can do it, but getting depth right again isn't as easy as you think

gas - requires skill, but not super duper hard

nowt wrong with having a MIG'd cage, it'll be strong enough for what you need

Ginger
20-02-2006, 17:15
If you are worried about strength get the welder to do the route of the weld with the tig and then have it capped with the mig for reinforcement.
A route run with tig ensures good route penetration which is what you need

Twincam
20-02-2006, 19:50
I wouldnt worry and just have it mig'd, Most cages are mig'd anyway

And the mounting plates for the roll cages are mig welded in as well