PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts - what will I need to fit one?

OliS
16-02-2006, 19:49
Was trying to get the missus' Williams for a RR day this Saturday, but the exhaust is blowing too badly for it t be worth going on the rollers. :cry:

I had been hoping it was just a case of tightening up the clamps, but closer inspection has revealed rusty holes in both the centre section and back box (cat forward seems ok, looks a lot newer than the rest of the system).

As the car is totally std, we want to keep it that way and as Reno want £270 for a new system, to keep costs down I was hoping to fit the system myself.

Other than the clamps, are there any other consumables (such as exhuast paste) that I will need? Will I be able to change the exhaust using just a trolley jack and axle stands, or do you really need a ramp to ensure you get the best fit?

Cheers all! :D

Lunner
16-02-2006, 19:50
It is possible on axle stands but gonna be a pain in the ass!!

Exhaust putty, clamps (reno excuse for a joiner is pathetic), and you may as well get some new rubber hangers while you are at it (about 99p from Halfords)

big hp
16-02-2006, 19:52
Is possible with jack.

You'll need a cat to centre section gasket. Paste if you want too, i never use it myself but a little bit wouldn't hurt.

OliS
16-02-2006, 21:22
Thanks for the replies guys, despite your advice Lunner, I think I will have a go myself, just set aside a whole day to get it sorted. Nice one the tips on hangers and the gasket!

I'm sure I'll have more questions when I'm doing the work, hope you lot don't mind helping me out then? :wink:

Coops
16-02-2006, 21:24
surely, and i know u said standard, but surely u cud get a stainless steel fabrication of the original exhaust for that kind of price?!! :shock:

Justin..
16-02-2006, 21:31
why dont you look in to gettin a s/s exhaust? doesnt have to be a loud one , surely they can be made quiet? :?

OliS
16-02-2006, 21:53
Get a standard style custom made exhaust for the same money? Sounds good, and like a lot less hassle!

Problem is, the only custom exhaust place I know of near me is Powerflow in Redhill, Surrey and I don't know if they are any good, I feel it maybe safer just to get the Reno parts. :?

Don't fancy doing the trek across to Wales to see Prospeed either, too far to travel...but if anyone has any other suggestions that would be cool.

We are really trying to keep the car standard, it's a great car as it is and we've both modified cars in the past and it can get very addictive! :D

McPikie
16-02-2006, 22:11
alot of boys on here rate powerflow.

They can cater to your needs with different tailpipes and sounds

stew
16-02-2006, 22:17
if they do a shit job....dont leave till they fix it!

just inspect it until its the way you like. if it rattles straight back to them.

its got lifetime warrenty, and your paying circa 300, so get your moneys worth. defo the way forward!

ill be getting one after ive blown all the baffles outa my devil one! LOL (prob 1 or 2 years time) depending on cash!

OliS
21-02-2006, 14:08
Well my hunt for a replacement exhaust is not going well. Powerflow want £350 to do a std style cat back system, so I am trying to find out what my other options are.

Quick question for you all, are the cat back systems on the valver and Williams different?

OliS
21-02-2006, 14:48
All sorted, managed to find a Williams replacement exhaust from an autofactors for £205 incl vat.

Now I just gotta fit the damn thing!

FlamingMonkey
21-02-2006, 15:20
Top Gear in Burnley do powerflow's for £250?

OliS
21-02-2006, 16:19
Maybe they have different prices for us southerners, price I got quoted was £300 plus the vat. Not bad for a custom made ss exhaust, but too much when all we want is a std replacement!