PDA

View Full Version : A few niggling problems.......

McPikie
15-02-2006, 09:04
OK, only had my valver for a few days now and noticed a few niggly problems, just wondering if you chaps can help?

Mods on the car are a de-cat and stainless devil system, standard manifold and pipercross cone filter, not sure if it is chipped or not.

1. If I have given it big beans on the motorway, say 5.5/6k, then just come off the gas and let it over-run, when it gets to appx 3.5k, it gives a nice little pop............ but also a puff of smoke. Now, the smoke looks blue, like oil, but may be a bit darker. Is this normal? Just burning some oil or un-burnt fuel? I am thinking this could well be a breather problem.

2. If I nail it in 1st or second up to a set of lights and dip the clutch to brake, sometimes it stalls, other times the battery light flickers. What's going on there?

3. Oil pressure. At start up it's just over 3 and when on the M/way, it's just under 3, but when it's fully warmed up at idle, it sits at 0. Could this just be a dodgy sensor?? The car is on 112k.

Cheers for any help and advice guys

J o n
15-02-2006, 09:47
blue smoke is normal, i've seen loads of valvers and willies smoke like mofo's on the peaks runs, especially on over run! nowt to worry about mate. if your still worried about oil temps use the willy oil cooler mate, sure Mat B or someone knows the part code.

dipping the clutch and coming to a stall could be anything, the battery light will be flickering as the car is almost cutting out and I presume it bounces off the lowest point before the revs slowly creep back up to normal idle? mine does this, but could be ISCV or frayed accelerator cable that's sticking when you back off (as mine does hehe).

oil pressure is fine, mine shows 3 on start, 4 if really cold and when you drive off it goes to 6 until warmer, then it's roughly 1bar for every 1k rpm as a guide, although once properly warm mine only goes to 5 bar on redline. zero at idle wont actually be zero, just that low it cannot be read, this again is normal, if it's sitting around 1bar and then doesn't rise very quick thats when there is a problem (oil pump on its way from experience... which means bye bye bottom end). so sounds perfect to me that. my mates is same on his valver, but i think his has done a fair bit more miles.

McPikie
15-02-2006, 09:56
Well, that's my mind at rest then,lol

I was thinking about getting a cooler, will give winston a shout, see if he has any lying about

J o n
15-02-2006, 09:58
only other car I have seen give out puffs of blue smoke was a 360 Ferrari, so it must be a good thing? lol

2 live
15-02-2006, 10:20
hehe...must be summat up wi my oil pressure gauge....reads about 3 on start up...then only reads either 6 wen moving....or just above 0 wen on tickover. :wink:

Gav
15-02-2006, 10:28
mines the same mate after driving quick and dip the clutch it sometimes stalls, its ur idle control valve mate, you need a new one. i just got one for £7.50 and a piece of piss to fit also.

bitch when it happens tho aint it lol, 50mph with no steering cuz its too hard to turn

dam PAS! :lol:

J o n
15-02-2006, 11:06
hehe...must be summat up wi my oil pressure gauge....reads about 3 on start up...then only reads either 6 wen moving....or just above 0 wen on tickover. :wink:

lol, nah, just something wrong with the driver... think it may have something to do with the car being driven at 7.2k everywhere apart from when your stopped in traffic! lol

2 live
15-02-2006, 11:54
ahhhhhhhhh

could be lol

Mattie
15-02-2006, 12:28
try cleanin the ISCV 1st though m8 b4 u buy a new 1 and clean the TB while ur at it......did this on geezers car as hes used 2 cut out the same, worked a treat!

gtbloke
15-02-2006, 12:33
Blue smoke = burning oil, most valvers do use a bit of oil but if its smoking badly then suspect engine wear.

one queer thing i will state is... my valver uses a little oil but does not smoke ??

wierd :?

J o n
15-02-2006, 12:50
Blue smoke = burning oil, most valvers do use a bit of oil but if its smoking badly then suspect engine wear.

one queer thing i will state is... my valver uses a little oil but does not smoke ??

wierd :?

trust me it will give off smoke, you just wont be able to see it with you being sat in the car.

if it burns a shit load of oil then the seals could be on their way out, but i've not seen a willy or valver that doesn't smoke... they are oil burners, this is normal. check how much smoke there is going down hill on over run and you'll see what I mean

McPikie
15-02-2006, 12:54
Mine was only a puff of blue, but enough for me and the driver behind to notice it :lol: ,it came with the pop though, which made me think it was unburnt fuel

Swervin_Mervin
15-02-2006, 12:57
Mine doesn't burn any oil at all. :wink:

However, yours is decatted non? That tends to result in a touch of the smoke I believe.

McPikie
15-02-2006, 13:00
Aye, only noticed after the de-catting

J o n
15-02-2006, 13:22
oh yeah, if you have a cat start shitting your pants as you'll be replacing some bottom end bits soon! lol

i dont know of anyone really that still drives with the cat on tbh... apart from Mike and when Paul had his... love the pops n flames too much

Andyvalver
15-02-2006, 14:24
Aye, only noticed after the de-catting

Think mine started doin it after de-catting it. Keep check of your oil mate, i put about 1ltr in every 1 and half to 2 months and thats with quite a bit of thrashing it. :wink: