PDA

View Full Version : Decent suspension kits??

McPikie
12-02-2006, 22:51
I'm looking at getting a full suspension kit for my valver, but I don't wanna spend 600+ on coilovers.

I wanna drop it 30mm maximum, and it gets used everyday for driving to work, so can't be too stiff.

I was thinking about a set of GMax. Anyone got a set? If so, what are they like?

If not, what do you chaps recommend?

Gav
12-02-2006, 22:57
spax 8)

Mish_16V
13-02-2006, 00:03
Look on K-Tec.....Coilover kits can be got for nowhere near 600 squids, looking at £435ish for a Gaz Kit

As for G-Max NO DON'T DO IT they are shit beyond belief...

Bilstein would be the choice for me if not going for coilovers

Clio_GTT
13-02-2006, 00:09
just get some springs, then the ride won't be too hard.

Mish_16V
13-02-2006, 00:38
If you lower on springs with standard suspension the ride won't be harsh???

I beg to differ

lumber
13-02-2006, 01:59
hmm agree low springs with standard shocks, well hardcore, quite like that though!

J o n
13-02-2006, 10:03
Mate, whatever you do, please, please, please dont go for Gaz coilies, they are complete muffin, a stock Williams Vs a Gaz'd one wins hand down, i'd imagine same for the valver. Gaz coilovers are only good if you want to raise your car by about a meter, but forget handling and grip, you simply dont get it. This is tried and tested many a time and an average driver on stock setup is quicker than a good driver on Gaz'. Get Avo's, bout same price as Gaz and can honestly say better than stock... but, imo save you pennies and get a Williams wide track conversion from Winston or someone i reckon.

Swervin_Mervin
13-02-2006, 11:29
What John says IMO. If you have to lower go AVO. Having spoken to the Kirnanator who had those though, he wishes he'd kept the standard suspension now as he reckons that lowering it ruined the handling.

richy
13-02-2006, 11:51
i know its not a valver, but i had avo coilovers and although i thought they was good i prefered std set up tbh, rather have std williams set up over most kits

Lunner
13-02-2006, 11:56
Springs on tehir own aren't that bad, i had my 1.2 on just springs and the RSI was on just springs for ages, if you are looking for ride quality keep std suspension, if not stop bitching about ride quality, its all i seem to see/hear when people are talking about suspension.

To me ride quality is un important, whats important is how well it holds the road and soaks up those mid corner bumps to the minimum of skipping

J o n
13-02-2006, 12:54
What John says IMO. If you have to lower go AVO. Having spoken to the Kirnanator who had those though, he wishes he'd kept the standard suspension now as he reckons that lowering it ruined the handling.

Dunno, I liked the way Paul's drove, it wasn't crashy, but was much harder ride than standard, but it was better handling imo, as long as the roads not too bumpy anyway. Like 2 lives, it deffo handles better to me, the back end comes out a bit more, but anyone that knows the Willy knows that the chassis is very progressive on the limit and pretty easy to correct. I loved 2 lives and Pauls handling on their cars tbh, I'll invest in coilovers at some point in the future... would like to try a Leda'd car to see if they are worth paying over twice the price... I doubt it, but then some products do amaze.

Swervin_Mervin
13-02-2006, 13:07
I've heard that the top bod ad Leda has gone to Gaz andd that since then the Leda product has gone downhill, whereas the Gaz has improved. This is from a guiy that used to run in the stockhatch series.

I'm still not sure about lowering though. 2live hasn't actually dropped the height much has he, which is where the advantage of coilovers lies IMO.

Paul's weren't coilovers though. I agree that ride wise it wasn't at all crashy but having spoken to him recently he's now of the opinion that it handled better as standard.

Thing is, handling is subjective. I like the car to pitch and then grip, whereas some will prefer to have less movement.

J o n
13-02-2006, 13:19
yeah see what you mean, I'm just going by the way it drove... and how badly he panned Wayne on the Peak run when it was just 2 cars. Paul is prolly a better driver to be fair, but he was leaving us for dead and having to pull up and wait at some points! lol

Swervin_Mervin
13-02-2006, 13:22
That's more Paul than anything mate. He used to regularly head the line on the peaks runs! :P

There's no way I can keep with him on the road. He's about 45 or summat though so he's got a fair few years on us. :P

smokey
15-02-2006, 13:38
Mate, whatever you do, please, please, please dont go for Gaz coilies, they are complete muffin, a stock Williams Vs a Gaz'd one wins hand down, i'd imagine same for the valver. Gaz coilovers are only good if you want to raise your car by about a meter, but forget handling and grip, you simply dont get it. This is tried and tested many a time and an average driver on stock setup is quicker than a good driver on Gaz'. Get Avo's, bout same price as Gaz and can honestly say better than stock... but, imo save you pennies and get a Williams wide track conversion from Winston or someone i reckon.

I have got GAZ coilovers mate and there the shizzle.......I beg to differ about the handling as it drives like its on rails, the grip levels are superb and there relatively cheap.
The only downside is the small dents you get in the bonnet but this is being sorted out as i was informed the last time I spoke to Trevor at K-Tec.
That all said....I have only had GAZ coilovers and cannot comment on any of the other makes, I am on my 3rd set of GAZ and am yet to find anything to make me try any others.

Over stock set-up they are 100x better imo