PDA

View Full Version : New owner

bryn_p
20-03-2005, 19:38
Hi all,

Ok so its not really a Williams, its a 16v look-a-like, but I hope you won't be too hard on me! Its my first clio which I bought off ebay not expecting to win the auction but did anyway. Here's the car...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4534457558&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Just drove it back today (50 mile trip) and I love it. I was very surprised how quick it is (and my daily driver is a 3.8 M5) and how well it handles, so to say I'm pleased is an understatement. For £600 I think the car is ok - its pretty tatty but the engine is very strong although it does have some other problems that I hpe you guys can help me with.

i) Its almost impossible to select first gear.
ii) If you lift off after accelerating hard, there is a loud clonk. Sounds like an engine or gearbox mount is broken. Could be related to problem 1?
iii) Handbrake barely works. Where is the cable adjustment.

I would have a look myself at these before asking but its too dark now and some helpful pointers would be much appreciated before I start. I have found a second hand gearbox if it turns out mine has had it, although the other gears are fine so hopefully its ok.

And finally, does anyone know how much power the Castle Performance chip gives it?

Many thanks in advance,
Bryn.

katbloke
20-03-2005, 19:43
handbrake cables one for each side connect to a central adjuster under a cover about 2 feet from the rear of the car, chances are you got a snapped cable one side i know i did.

KingStromba
20-03-2005, 19:57
Lift off clunk - maybe look at the dog bone mount? Does it jump out of gear too?

FATBOY
20-03-2005, 20:16
welcome to the site fella!

VIPERONE
20-03-2005, 20:34
min is doing the same at the moment.. chek your dog mount.. is the angle of it correct..... check other engine mounts.. does it clunk when you brake hard?

bryn_p
21-03-2005, 11:06
Thanks for the info and welcome gents!

Forgive my ignorance, but where will I find the dog mount?
It hasn't jumped out of gear yet, but I haven't even managed to get it in first once, so it may well do once its in first!
I just remembered it idles at 1500rpm after its been running for a while too, any idea whats causing this?

Cheers again,
Bryn.

KingStromba
21-03-2005, 11:07
Idle control valve? Ask Gunner he knows how to clean this.

Dog done mount is next to the cat under the car.

Swervin_Mervin
21-03-2005, 11:17
Welcome Bryn. :D

I should get some kind of medal for my conscription rates :P

GazTwo
21-03-2005, 16:32
Welcome to the club Bryn....hope u'll be joining us on our Track Day???

Winston
21-03-2005, 16:50
Hi and welcome man!!!

Mark_Ritchspeed
21-03-2005, 16:57
Hi Bryn . As stated its likely the clunking is just a mount gone and most likely its the dog bone mount underneath to the rear of the engine and mounts to the subframe . Its attached under the starter onto the bellhousing-engine bolts .

It could just be the linkage thats not ligned up properly if you cant select first gear . If all the other mounts are ok and the engine is ligned up properly there are only 2 reasons you wouldnt be able to select a gear . 1 the linkage is out of alignment by a small amount (easy fix) , 2 the synchro is knackered.

Most likely its number 1 .

bryn_p
21-03-2005, 17:26
Cheers again gents. When and where is this track day?

Mr Ritchspeed - are you the same Mark_R who's Williams I attempted to follow (and failed miserably) round that snow covered valley in wales a few years ago? Good fun that, although I think I had the wrong car for the job!!

Cheers,
Bryn.

Kelly
21-03-2005, 17:36
Hello newbie :)

Mark_Ritchspeed
21-03-2005, 17:42
Cheers again gents. When and where is this track day?

Mr Ritchspeed - are you the same Mark_R who's Williams I attempted to follow (and failed miserably) round that snow covered valley in wales a few years ago? Good fun that, although I think I had the wrong car for the job!!

Cheers,
Bryn.

Yep , same one . Lol , I dont think the Clio was particlarly up to the job either . Maybe if it had some 175 tyres on it would have been better.

Still got the same M5?

bryn_p
21-03-2005, 18:04
Seemed to be going well enough from where I was, although I could only see a small blue spec in the distance :wink:
You should have tried it with 265 tyres!!

Yep still got the same M5, don't plan to ever sell it if I can avoid it. I intend to get a proper Williams sooner or later too.

Cheers,
Bryn.