PDA

View Full Version : prtrol gauge light

matt uk
12-02-2006, 16:12
my fuel gauge doesnt work

well it seems to be stuck on halfway ???

not bothered about this but i just wondered if the petrol light will come on when it get low? even tho the needle doesnt move?

basically does anyone know if the needle activates the petrol light to come on or not?

cause if it dont i dont have a clue how much fuel is in there do i???

help anyone?

cheers

Andyvalver
12-02-2006, 16:13
Pertol light should come on if even if the needle is sticking i think. Mine sticks a bit, i just give it a few whacks lol and it comes back down

matt uk
12-02-2006, 16:26
yeah mine started on a 1/4 then it wouldnt move
whacked it after putting £30 in and its not cme back down in over 250 miles!

there cant be much left in tank now surely

aslong as the light will come on it doesnt matter just want to make sure

you 100% sure the light will come on???

cheers

Andyvalver
12-02-2006, 16:31
The light will start to flicker when cornering when its gettin close. Ive had my fuel light on when the needle wasnt fully down so i guess it will come on.

matt uk
12-02-2006, 16:34
nice one bro

can anyone else also verify this

last thing i wanna do is get stranded somewhere with no fuel

then i'd be a bit cross with andrew and we wouldnt be friends anymore :P lol

Andyvalver
12-02-2006, 16:39
lol, even though i know my fuel light comes on i obviosly dunno bout yours. If you have never seen it, could the bulb be nackered?

:)

matt uk
12-02-2006, 16:44
i've only had the car a day and done 250 miles lol

apparently had 1/4 tank to start with then i put 30 in

so in theory it wouldnt even have had a chance to come on

...... the mystery continues

Lunner
12-02-2006, 17:42
Just fill it up and make sure you fill it up after 300 miles (to be safe)

matt uk
12-02-2006, 17:55
yes but my engine miss firing so it might not get very good mpg?

i coud only get 250 miles?

i normally only put £10 a time! in im used to that and wanna keep it that way lol

is there no way of freeing up the petrol gauge?

matt

Zollo
12-02-2006, 19:07
Keep a couple of jerry cans of petrol in the car, fill the tank up and reset the trip switch. Just keep driving it until the light comes on. If it does come on, you know it works. If it doesn't and you run out, you have the jerry cans and you also know how many miles you can do to a tank.

Lunner
12-02-2006, 20:02
Can't understand people who only fill up a tenner at a tiem, its a hassle for me, not a pleasure filling up, wanna do it as alittle as poss, run it down to 1/4 tank and then fill to the brim

Clio_GTT
12-02-2006, 20:03
Can't understand people who only fill up a tenner at a tiem, its a hassle for me, not a pleasure filling up, wanna do it as alittle as poss, run it down to 1/4 tank and then fill to the brim

do you know how much petrol weighs ;)

Lunner
12-02-2006, 20:12
Yes thats why i run just over 1/4 tank while i'm on track

POWARTEK
12-02-2006, 20:36
I just got a nice 335miles out of mine :D

bass_direct
13-02-2006, 01:24
I can also verify the petrol light comes on if the dial don't work...

my petrol needle doesn't work on valver dash, but the light started flickering when i put my foot down.. so it works!

However, if you press the dash down the needle will move to correct position on mine! :)

McPikie
13-02-2006, 09:26
I can get you a new set of clocks if you like?

Might be a bit less embarrassing than sat on the hard shoulder??

matt uk
13-02-2006, 20:05
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right so the light will come on????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats all i need to know!!!

yesterday i filled up again and the gauge went up to 3/4 100 miles driving later its in the same place?????

it seems to go up but wont come down

tried banging the dash but nothing

FlamingMonkey
13-02-2006, 20:27
Mine does this, when it feels like it, more likely fuel sender unit, will replace mine when i can be assed

The only way to reset it it, under back seat the black circle, take that off you will see fuel pump, unplug the connector on it, turn ignition on, fuel gague drops, turn ignition off, plug back in connector, then turn on ignition again this should give you a good reading of whats left in the tank.

^^ this take about 1 min to do piece of piss really

Timmy C
26-08-2016, 14:38
Mine does this, when it feels like it, more likely fuel sender unit, will replace mine when i can be assed

The only way to reset it it, under back seat the black circle, take that off you will see fuel pump, unplug the connector on it, turn ignition on, fuel gague drops, turn ignition off, plug back in connector, then turn on ignition again this should give you a good reading of whats left in the tank.

^^ this take about 1 min to do piece of piss really

Hi everyone clearly the random fuel gauge is a common fault as I have just been doing some searching on here and there is a lot on it!! I also have the same problem. I have just done this re-set as FlamingMonkey has suggested and it worked - was on full, then after reset just over half, which is where I expected it to be. so it works - good times. But a couple of things

1 - it is now stuck on half and does not move, even when the battery is disconnected!! So does this mean I need a new sender unit?? or is there any other fix??

2 - if it is the sender unit where can I get one and how much are they - aprox??