anyway the cars bodywork is MINT and the wheels are 9/10 for sure

will get pics up tomorrow when i have chance as its pitch black now

list of probs i'lkl have fixed tomorrow:

exhaust clanging about

play in steering (needs welding)

list of probs i dunno how to fix:
so help me please!!!

petrol gauge is stuck on halfway

rev counter sometimes has a mind of its own... even at a steady 3.5k (70mph) its jumping about betwwen 3-4k revs but with no affect to the actuall cars revving...... odd

also the car misfires if you try and floor it, this happens 75% of the time and expecially when cold!. if you take it steady and are light footed the thing drives great. any ideas? this is the main problem i really wanna sort.

anyway after it got warm and i took it steady for a bit i nailed it in 3rd and 4th... didnrt misfire until about 10 seconds into the "hammering it part" so it cant be that serious of a problem cause it was bloody fast!

if anyone knows anything on how to fix this misfire or lives anywhere near nottingham i'll gladly bring it down for you too look at and see if you can sort it for some $$ obviously.

it bound to be just a sensor or plugs surely?

cheers

Scott-16v!
12-02-2006, 00:05
fook, plymouth, that's a hell of a drive to fetch a car :shock:
bodywork and wheels sound good :)

gozziee
12-02-2006, 00:11
is that the 165k williams2???

Scott-16v!
12-02-2006, 00:12
its a different one to that i think, see the 2nd page of that thread, its on 160k

matt uk
12-02-2006, 00:32
yeah 160k

just gotta get the misfire sorted and i'm in buisness

someone must know something

i've checked previous threads in search but non seem to have symptons like mine

mine drives fine until you go above 60% throttle it seems....

but in saying that if you take it steady for a bit you can have a bout 15 seconds of full throttle fun before misfire kicks in again!

also if you just nail it constantly(or try to)
the misfire seems to get worth until you start to take it steady again.

so basically i've now got a really good looking williams that i cant drive fast.!!!!

that all well and good for long journeys etc but i'm gonna wana boot it at some point! :(

matt
wierd,.....

BRUN
12-02-2006, 00:47
does the misfire only happen after about 30 mins of driving ?

if so, check the dizzi cap is on tight and both the hold on screws thread into the dizzi properly

if they dont, new dizzi from Reno is £60 and comes with a cap and rotor arm aswell which they dont tell you until you get it

neilc
12-02-2006, 09:47
Could be low fuel pressure I had a similar problem.

I had to replacing the pump in the end.

matt uk
12-02-2006, 10:59
i was thinking fuel pump myself cause its almost as if it cant keep up with how much fuel it needs

it kinda sounds almost as tho its hitting a limiter if you try and "floor" it

is there any way of getting this tested?

i guess after 160k the fuel pump maybe getting tired?

any thoughts anyone?

matt

steveos_16valver
12-02-2006, 12:07
change the fuel filter first possibly something blocking it and when you floor it it cant deal with the high demand of fule

also the cheapest option !!
located in front of the fuel tank

matt uk
12-02-2006, 13:32
maybe it could be

how much is a fuel filter?
easy to change?

Purple
12-02-2006, 13:48
Bad electrics or plugs can also cause misfires. Check the plugs, cables, distributor and battery/alternator voltages. Doesn't appear to be a serious problem though.

matt uk
12-02-2006, 14:01
surely if it was plugs or leads they'd missfire all the time?

its got uprated leads on it anyway so i doubt its them?

plus it drives perfect even at just under 3/4 throttle really you just cant put your foot to floor or you get the kangaroo effect.

its driving me insane

i've got a gorgeous wiliams that i cant drive fast at all!!!!!!!!

only other thing i can think of that seems unusal on it is that the tempreture never goes above 1/4 when driving and most of the time is just under that. temp rises to 3/4 and fan kicks in when stationary.

maybe theres no thermostat in it so it cools down faster?

probably doesnt concern this missfire matter but its best to mention everything to you guys so i get the best diagnostis

Purple
12-02-2006, 14:46
The kangaroo effect you mentioned now sounds more like fuel starvation rather than plugs misfiring. If the plugs were misfiring that badly to make the car lurch around, I would expect the car to be doing that all the way from low revs.

matt uk
12-02-2006, 15:30
thats what i thought

i drove it steady at about 4k revs for miles without a single missfire

mopment i try and put the accelator down, it missfires

gotta be fuel related as you say

its been starting up and ticking over ok today so thats pretty random

still misfiring tho just got back from taking her for a wash

matt

Andyvalver
12-02-2006, 15:41
I had a simular problem with my valver. It drove ok until you hammered it, then at about 5k it seemed to hit a brick wall and stay there. I just drove it steady for a while but the symtoms changed and then the rev counter used to go ape shit on its own lol, this did effect my engine though as i could feel it miss firing, but not all the time. Then it sometime cut out and wouldnt start :? . My dad got a friend to have a look who is an auto electrician but when he came round it started and ran fine :x That happened twice. One day i got really pissed off with it so just stripped all the earths off, sanded the connection points and bolted them back on. Took off all electrical connectors and sprayed them with good old wd-40 and since then it has never missed a beat :P I think it was an earth cuasing my problem as a spent loads of cash changing plugs/leads/dizzy and rota arm/coil and so on and it never did owt.

Oh yeah, the symtoms i had were on and off really, sometimes it was ok and you could hammer it through 1st and 2nd then in 3rd it would hit the brick wall again and spoil my fun lol

My guess is, the guy who has sold it cant fix the problem. I wanted to get rid of mine because of it. Took me 2 months to find the problem

matt uk
12-02-2006, 15:48
maybe thats why it was so cheap

mine revs to limiter fine if i slowly increase the pedal its when i want to accelarate faster it wont have it.

how many earths are there???

Andyvalver
12-02-2006, 15:54
Same as my problem i think. It was when my foot went to the floor it had problems. I could drive it steady no probs but when it got worse it started missin with general driving at 3k and so on.

There are quite a few earths. 2 or 3 on the gearbox and an earth strap down there too which i couldnt get off. I just took off what i could get too.

Also, try resetting the ecu mate. Dont just disconnect the battery, actually unplug the ecu and plug it back in.

tbh though, it could be a simple problem like the dizzy or a dodgy lead but i dunno. Its like £30 for leads and £30 for dizzy.

matt uk
12-02-2006, 16:00
its got uprated leads so surely it'll not be them

where abouts is th ecu located?

dont really wanna disconnect the battery cause its got an aftermrket alarm system and last time i trid disconnecting battery it completly fuxked it up

might try the ecu thing tho once i know where it is

anyone got any pics of the earths?

Andyvalver
12-02-2006, 16:10
Ecu is where the car jack is. Take out the jack and its bolted in underneeth. Its quite fiddly to get out.

Earth :lol:

http://www.skipressworld.com/images/daily_news/2005/04/ski%20press%20-%20earth.jpg

Sorry but i had too :wink:

matt uk
12-02-2006, 16:24
i knew someone would do that! lol

matt uk
12-02-2006, 16:46
also another thing to add is that every valver i've had has had a whinning fuel pump

i cant hear anything onthis one i dont think

matt uk
12-02-2006, 17:39
just outside then
had bonnet up and fiddling with ht leads

on plug 1 and 4 there was oil or dirty water in the lead and on top of the plug. only a small amount which i dryed off with a cloth

anyway plugs 2 and 3 were clean.

when i went to start car again after making sure all plugs were tight it wouldnt start.

went back and pushed all plugs down and it started first time....

went for a drive and it didnt missfire first few mins, still i didnt get my hopes up.

anyway long stretch of road

1st, 2nd 3rd full throttle no missfire or if there was i didnt notce it!
into 4th and at bout 6k revs it stumbled and i shut off

i really thought it was cured just then :(

anyway got home checked conections both ends again and it wouldnt start

went back pushed on them again

started first time......thing that confuses me is if one wasnt tight it would still start

i'm starting to lose patience now and its only day 2 lol

nice to finally have a full 30 secs of full throttle driving tho :P

VIPERONE
12-02-2006, 17:42
There is ablck lead on the back of the gear box (earth) take it off and sand it down and tighten the bolt back on. That caused my car to kangaroo.. best bet is to renew all plugs and leads and dizzy cap, use some redex in the tank, spray some 10k boost in,.. just give a general service and overhaul of the ignition components

neilc
12-02-2006, 17:48
so exactly what I had and it was a faulty fuel pump

got the fuel pressures checked at the pump and fuel rail

matt uk
12-02-2006, 17:49
how do you check pressures?

is it something you can do yourself?

theres no noise from there fuel pump there should be shouldnt there?

matt uk
12-02-2006, 17:50
how do you check pressures?

is it something you can do yourself?

theres no noise from there fuel pump there should be shouldnt there?

MatBrown
12-02-2006, 17:50
Take it to Hillpower and get it stuck on the Clip.

Mat.

matt uk
12-02-2006, 17:52
how much does that cost

any ideas?

he's only down road from me in derby

neilc
12-02-2006, 17:53
well the fuel pump will be working but unable to supply fuel up the top of the rev range.

best bet is to drop it into Hill power if you are close to them and then you will know for sure, I spent loads on sensors etc before I gave in and took it to a garage lol

matt uk
12-02-2006, 17:57
so basically hill power will know for sure whats up with it.

problem is i aint exactly loaded at the minute and those diagnostics guys can be pricey..

so by plugging a little machine to my car he's gonna know whether its fuel pump, leads, filter etc etc... amazing

any idea on cost anyone?

neilc
12-02-2006, 18:06
best to ask him direct and explain that you are not loaded and just want a basic diagnostic check etc

matt uk
12-02-2006, 23:36
well another twist of fortune

just been on a 160 mile round trip had a mate with me who knows abit bout cars so decided to show him the misfire.

started booting it in 3rd, then 4th right to limiter

no misfire???????

put it in 5th, foot to floor for 30 secs no miss fire????

anyway drop him of really pleased problems gone

15 mile later saxo vts bothering me so i think i'll put foot down

bloody thing only goes and miss fires!!!!

anyway its not as bad as it was now and i can use basically 3/4 throttle at all times without a missfire.

in saying that tho tomorrows another day and plus starting from cold anything could happen...

only other thing wierd that happened is when i went for petrol car wouldnt start

took 4 times to get it started then it starts first time evertime....

any thoughts anyone?

Purple
13-02-2006, 01:22
Some more info for you.

also another thing to add is that every valver i've had has had a whinning fuel pump. i cant hear anything onthis one i dont think
My car could not start, a few months ago, when I could not hear the start-up whirr of the fuel pump. The mechs found a bad connector leading to the fuel pump. Worked perfectly after replacing the connector.

when i went to start car again after making sure all plugs were tight it wouldnt start. Went back and pushed all plugs down and it started first time....
When I had my previous custom HT cables, the internal contact of the cables were made a little bit too short. So much so that, for some plugs, I had to insert a metal washer to make the threaded plug-terminal taller.

And, IMHO, if your Clio starts behaving like it is possesed by a poltergeist :); it is almost always an unreliable earthing issue.