PDA

View Full Version : Best polish??

McPikie
10-02-2006, 10:41
At the minute, I'm using autoglym, deep shine polish on my saxo and, to be fair, it looks the tits when it's finished. However, I've heard good and bad things about meguirs and was wondering what you guys use on the clios?

Also, what's good for detailing the bump strips with? I use some shite called black trim wax, unsure who makes it, but it looks like tar and works a treat

Tommo
10-02-2006, 11:07
I use meguirs mate and it's the best I've used. What bad things u heard about it?

I use Tyre Slik for the tyres, and then use this for the bump strips aswell and rub over with a cloth, it comes up spot on!

Swervin_Mervin
10-02-2006, 11:11
I use Super Resin Polish topped with Meguiars Gold Class wax.

Not that I've done it for 6months or more. :shock: :oops:

Jamie.
10-02-2006, 11:13
does anyone polish their wheels? or put some protection on it? they guy from proclean reckons i should be doing this to me wheels when i get em back.

ohh, btw i use autoglym super resin polish on mine and i think it looks good.

Swervin_Mervin
10-02-2006, 11:19
Yes. Put some wax on, but only cheap stuff. Makes them easier to clean.

Tommo
10-02-2006, 11:22
Just use soap and water for your wheels every week jamie don't put any stuff on them. That's what I was advised from Proclean and haven't had any probs yet. Oh yeah and be careful with the polished lip, I have to use an alloy polish every couple of weeks to keep on top of it otherwise they will fade and stain and look sh*te!!

bigjim
10-02-2006, 11:23
ive used zymol wax last few times on mine, comes up really nice, also used autoglym and that is also very good imo. going to trymeguirs stuff next.

Swervin_Mervin
10-02-2006, 11:49
Just use soap and water for your wheels every week jamie don't put any stuff on them. That's what I was advised from Proclean and haven't had any probs yet. Oh yeah and be careful with the polished lip, I have to use an alloy polish every couple of weeks to keep on top of it otherwise they will fade and stain and look sh*te!!

No offence but proclean are talking shite. I have a diamond cut lip on mine and they don't need any special cleaners or wax. The only reason I use wax on them is that the dirt doesn't stick as well. You really shouldn't need to polish the lip every time, just make sure it's clean using soapy water.

Tommo
10-02-2006, 12:16
No offence but proclean are talking shite. I have a diamond cut lip on mine and they don't need any special cleaners or wax. The only reason I use wax on them is that the dirt doesn't stick as well. You really shouldn't need to polish the lip every time, just make sure it's clean using soapy water.

Yeah fairs doos mate, I just went by what the bloke told me and I haven't had any probs with dirt etc sticking to the wheel. My lip isn't diamond cut it's polished and I have had a few probs with this. If it's left for more than a few weeks it seems to tarnish badly. May have to get some kind of wax protection for this!

Mattie
10-02-2006, 12:22
yep i get the same kinda problem with my exhuast if not polished every few weeks it gos all dull

Swervin_Mervin
10-02-2006, 12:51

Yeah fairs doos mate, I just went by what the bloke told me and I haven't had any probs with dirt etc sticking to the wheel. My lip isn't diamond cut it's polished and I have had a few probs with this. If it's left for more than a few weeks it seems to tarnish badly. May have to get some kind of wax protection for this!

Mine tarnishes as well mate, almost like the dirt sinks in to the metal. :? It always comes off though with a bit of elbow grease, and I use a bug removing sponge from Halfrauds (one of them covered in a net).

By usinga metal polish there's a chance you could remove paint at the point where the polished lip ends.

dannyt
10-02-2006, 13:15
Autoglym ultra deep shine is good,

but now moved onto

Meguires NXT, looks awsome!

Super resin is also good!

Swervin_Mervin
10-02-2006, 13:17
NXT is a wax though Danny isn't it?

VIPERONE
10-02-2006, 13:28
Autoglm Gold is very good

McPikie
10-02-2006, 13:28
I never got the difference between polish and wax.

Do you wash, shammy, polish then wax??

Swervin_Mervin
10-02-2006, 13:32
Polish contains a very mild cutting agent that cuts the paintwork back ever so slightly.

Wax literally just adds a protective wax layer. Once polished a car should only really need polishing agin every 6 months or so, as long as it's waxed regularly.

BRUN
10-02-2006, 13:34
yes

a true polish feeds the paint, the wax protects it

a 'cleaner' gets rid of the swirls etc

i use Meguiars NXT at the moment as its a very good all in one, better than anything else ive tried, which is most

if i want extra protection then i top it off with Collinite 476s

if i want extra shine, for a show etc, ill put a few coats of Meguiars show car glaze under the NXT

Jamie.
10-02-2006, 13:34
wash mine with zip wax, let it dry by sunlight, dont shammy as its a pain in the ass; sometimes it goes streaky etc, also the car cant be that wet as the shammy wont absorb all the water :? so i let it dry manually then polish....................

McPikie
10-02-2006, 13:52
I find natural drying leaves spots all over.

I use a hydrablade to get 90% of the water off, then run over it with a shammy that's been in warm water, then polish.

Guess I better start waxing instead, lol

Swervin_Mervin
10-02-2006, 15:17
Chammy's are bad. They hold dirt on the surface which can scratch the paint. Using a hydrablade is good, but finish off with a microfibre cloth instead. They soak up shite loads and retain dirt away from the surface of the cloth.

richy
10-02-2006, 15:22
is this cliosport? :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
10-02-2006, 15:31
We have valvers, hence we're too slow to be talking bollocks about what cams we need and who we need to bum to get them mapped, so we talk about lame shit like keeping them looking good. :wink: :P

richy
10-02-2006, 15:38
:lol:

valvers schmalvers, about only use for them is to be polished, not much kop at owt else :wink: :P

Tommo
10-02-2006, 15:47
There's probably only a very small difference with the top waxes and polishes, I just find Meguirs easy to put on and take off and doesn't leave any white power or residue. I take my car for a spin after a wash to dry it off saves having to chamois it and doesn't leave many streaks, then go over with Meguirs and finish off with tyre slik, jobs a guddun, happy days!!

Swervin_Mervin
10-02-2006, 16:00
:lol:

valvers schmalvers, about only use for them is to be polished, not much kop at owt else :wink: :P

Yeah I heard that. Then I also heard one kept most willys at bay at a certain sprint as well. :wink: :twisted:

richy
10-02-2006, 16:05
yeah yeah, mine wasnt there tho, couldnt attend to due to family problems! so next time :wink: lol

im sure your valver would of kept them at bay esp since it left a humongous smoke screen on the track i heard :P

richy
10-02-2006, 16:08
oh and to keep on track(no pun intended), steve did my car with his detailer/buffer and to say i rarely wash mine it came out mint, only washed it once since lol! :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
10-02-2006, 16:22
That's why mine hasn't been waxed since may last year. I had someone use PC on it.

Oh and mine doesn't burn oil, I think that's Northy's. :lol:

big hp
10-02-2006, 21:53
Wonder wheels

Triple wax shampoo

Autoglym Hydra blade

Autoglym synthetic Chamois

Autoglym Super resin / deep shine

Autoglym Super gloss (gold)

Autoglym bumper care

Autoglym glass polish.

Autoglym matel polish.

Autoglym tyre dressing

Autoglym vinyl & rubber care (interior)

Thats my cleaning routine

Martin
10-02-2006, 21:59
Wonder wheels

Triple wax shampoo

Autoglym Hydra blade

Autoglym synthetic Chamois

Autoglym Super resin / deep shine

Autoglym Super gloss (gold)

Autoglym bumper care

Autoglym glass polish.

Autoglym matel polish.

Autoglym tyre dressing

Autoglym vinyl & rubber care (interior)

Thats my cleaning routine

Fooook that! lol

big hp
10-02-2006, 22:55
:roll:

:wink:

gonch
11-02-2006, 10:28
My routine.

Bucket
sponge
water.

Did get one of those Autoglym gift packs for xmas, might use it in the spring. :shock: