PDA

View Full Version : Performance

Dan_Williams
08-02-2006, 23:49
Just want to know the best way to increase my bhp. i have full exaust system and air filter. and before anyone say spend it on getting suspensiona and brakes done, like so many people have told my on cliosport. i already have them done lowered 35mm and ebc green stuff all round.
so ideas would really help
Thanks
:?

Martin
08-02-2006, 23:51
search and all will be revealed.... :wink:

J o n
09-02-2006, 08:57
next mod is chip really, but get a proper map from Wayne at chip wizards, his results are amazing. that's £350 well spent imo... or, could get cams, but the cost is much more and you will need the chip as well to really get the best out of them.

Dan_Williams
09-02-2006, 10:24
Cheers pal, and thought a chip would be the best way forward, been told it will add 15-20 brake??

Mattie
09-02-2006, 11:20
id av thought more like 10?

Dan_Williams
09-02-2006, 11:43
so with a chip full exaust sytem and pipercross kit, wat brake do you think im looking at. then i would of thought cams would be the next move??

J o n
09-02-2006, 12:08
okay, best basic mods i'd say are:

panel filter for OE airbox (possibly drill your airbox too)
stainless steel exhaust
decat (people say they make the car faster... the BB tuning one I bought made mine slower... I dunno now though as I'm running cams)

after the basics you could get cams etc, but a remap alone on those mods should take you over 140bhp ATW, or 165-180 at the fly (greatly depends on engine strength too, big hp has 172bhp with basic mods and chip wizards remap)

thinks not to do:

run an open IK. they sound the cats tits, but the actually slow the car down from standard through the whole rev range... coming on cam is a little turbo'esque at times with em I find...

Dan_Williams
09-02-2006, 12:19
ok thanks, yeh i am going to leave the decat people have told me its not worth it. been told to go nick hills for a chip...... which is what i will get next followed by cams, do you have an idea on cost for a chip and cams?
Thanks

Purple
09-02-2006, 12:30
I think with the mods that are already done to your car a re-map would be ideal. But if you are going the route of generic chip upgrade, PM gunnergibson on here. He might have some go faster chips for sale.

Dan_Williams
09-02-2006, 12:40
ok thanks idea of price for a re-map

J o n
09-02-2006, 13:08
erm, no disrespect to Nick as he's amazing by all accounts, but seriously consider someone else's chips first. for the money they look good, but reving your car past the limiter without correct fueling is not a perfect combination when this was done on a different car. no two parts are the same, so figure in exhaust and filter differences and it can be way out.

if you are deffo going to get cams then get them first, dont chip it twice for the sake of it, as you will certainly need to car remapping again if you have already chipped it. like i say to everyone, go for BenR's AWT cams, quite a few cars with them and they perform extremely well even on TDC. chip is £350 all in, cams are about a grand or so for fitting, the two cams (inlet/exhaust), set of verniers and timing. depends where you go though, I wouldn't like to say what I personally paid out of respect to Ben, plus, you may want something different anyway and I got a good rate being the first AWT cam user (being the first is always the best for prices really... could ask him to put a B18 engine in... lol)

as for decat's... get one, they may be hit or miss for performance, but the rasp is lovely as are the pops, bangs and massive flames you get on over run at 5000rpm :lol:

Plattsy
09-02-2006, 13:11
well if your going for cams then dont bother buying a chip cos ul only need another map!
if its a pipercross open filter bin it and get a panel filter in standard box.
decat - defo worth £40 or so, i noticed an improvement with decats on all my cars!
supersprint manifold...ppl say they dont do anything but they give noticable torque increases even with shoddy airfilters!!
cams and pulleys which will set you back around £600 + labuor
get a chip off gunnergibson which is already mapped for exhaust/filter mods and cams! - £50 + fitting
that should really give you a decent amount of power for a little cash!

Also i reckon you should actually upgrade the brakes!! and possibly suspension too in the near future!!

J o n
09-02-2006, 13:14
where willy suspension is concerned there is no such thing as an "upgrade"... okay that's a lie, what i really mean is dont buy GAZ coilovers, they're turnip.

Dan_Williams
09-02-2006, 15:22
alot of different views here..... i think i will go for the chip at the moment and prob leave the cams for a later date, purely due to exspence as i have just spent 600 on suspension and brakes. then later on down the line get the cams sorted. will prob do the de cat now aswell

Plattsy
09-02-2006, 15:59
tbh i think u should leave the chip mate!! get the decat and save for cams, and a remap! unlss your gettin a gunner chip then i wouldnt bother! £350 is alot of money to be swapped again in amonth or so! whereas £50 isnt a waste!

Dan_Williams
09-02-2006, 16:12
yeh been thinking about that, gonna save for the cam and remap. and getting a gunner chip been speaking to him, all seems good have you got one fitted?

Martin
09-02-2006, 22:51
erm, no disrespect to Nick as he's amazing by all accounts, but seriously consider someone else's chips first. for the money they look good, but reving your car past the limiter without correct fueling is not a perfect combination when this was done on a different car. no two parts are the same, so figure in exhaust and filter differences and it can be way out.

if you are deffo going to get cams then get them first, dont chip it twice for the sake of it, as you will certainly need to car remapping again if you have already chipped it. like i say to everyone, go for BenR's AWT cams, quite a few cars with them and they perform extremely well even on TDC. chip is £350 all in, cams are about a grand or so for fitting, the two cams (inlet/exhaust), set of verniers and timing. depends where you go though, I wouldn't like to say what I personally paid out of respect to Ben, plus, you may want something different anyway and I got a good rate being the first AWT cam user (being the first is always the best for prices really... could ask him to put a B18 engine in... lol)

as for decat's... get one, they may be hit or miss for performance, but the rasp is lovely as are the pops, bangs and massive flames you get on over run at 5000rpm :lol:

Fastest mk1 on stnd t/b uses a hillpower chip so they are all bad :wink:

J o n
09-02-2006, 23:31
put some interior and we'll get a better reflection :wink:

Martin
09-02-2006, 23:33
lol It used to run 14.4 in stnd williamsclio 1/4 miling spec Ie with interior in but rear bench out....

stew
09-02-2006, 23:41
get it cammed martin. be running some very quick times then!

loving that terminal speed tho...didnt realise it was so high! anything over 100 is foooking fast! 8)

J o n
09-02-2006, 23:45
so not quite the quickest, certainly not far off though! :wink:

with terminals like they are you should see 13's really when the weather gets better i reckon... some serious pwr/weight there dood

Martin
09-02-2006, 23:46
cams, shmams....hehe

Looking low 13.9s hopefully when they lay some rubber down at pod 8)

J o n
09-02-2006, 23:48
hehe, cams come into their own after 110 though imo and gives you that bit extra to scare bigger and better cars

McPikie
09-02-2006, 23:55
How much are cams and what gains do you see per pound???

say with, a full system (in mani & decat), filter and re-map

Martin
09-02-2006, 23:58
hehe, cams come into their own after 110 though imo and gives you that bit extra to scare bigger and better cars

yeah true I've yet to have a proper doo in this car...would be interesting to have a comparison with a cammed 2.0 at higher speeds. My car seems to be silly up to below 90 due to no weight...

J o n
09-02-2006, 23:58
i'd say from a std engine to one with the mods you have listed and cams/remap you'll be pushing 180+bhp easy for a pretty tired/average engine.

McPikie
10-02-2006, 00:07
So, the advice would be to do a full exst system, filter, cams, then take it to wayne??

Is the standard management good for re-mapping to 180bhp?

J o n
10-02-2006, 00:15
you can do pretty much what you want as long as your on the original TB and not running boost or charge yo!, but the ECU is very flexible and Wayne is one of or possibly the only person that understands the codes and can change them properly from what I hear. big hp's car made 172bhp without cams, i'd expect his car to be around 185-190bhp+ with cams.

martin, i know what you mean (but to a lesser extent!) as before cams mine really hit a wall after 100, but you dont notice anything like it with cams in, plus, dont ask me how or why as i cant answer, but in gear speeds in 4th and 5th seem to go higher... :? 112mph in 4th on 6500rpm, 140 ish in 5th, but it's more the speed it gets there... maybe it loses less momentum, **** knows lol