PDA

View Full Version : Front hub

Crossers
08-02-2006, 21:54
What is it? Is it the plate that the drake disk sits on? If i take the large nut off, does the hub come off.

Also, how can i stop the drive shafts spinning, is there a way of locking it.

Reason is, one wheel nut has snapped off and the brake disk fixing screws have n'all :evil:

I have a spare car, so wanna swap the hub.

Cheers

Paul

Anders
08-02-2006, 22:02
Yep the hub is the cast component that holds evrything together at the wheel.

So it connects the driveshaft, caliper, brake disc, strut, wishbone and the steering arm.

Once all these bits are disconnected, your home free.

Nice and easy to do, just be careful not to snag to CV boot or knacker the lower ball joint gaiter. If these get damaged then you will have to replace them.

Clio_GTT
08-02-2006, 22:07
to stop the driveshaft spinning put the wheel back on and drop it back on the ground then undo the hub nut that way. To get the complete hub off you need to disconnect it front the track rod end, brake caliper, bottom ball joint and suspension strut. Then you'll need to have the bit which holds the disc and wheel pressed out as its being held onto the hub via the bearing.

Have a look to see if you can get the rest of the wheel bolt out the back of the hub with some mole grips. and drill out the brake disc bolts

Crossers
09-02-2006, 11:20
Ta chaps

Paul

VIPERONE
09-02-2006, 11:22
Crossers must be something in the water,,, i snapped 2 bolts in the hub last night.. luckily i got a spare hub to fit today..shite nethertheless..

2 live
09-02-2006, 11:29
lol.....i know another devils own car that goes thru wheelnuts for fun.......will have to sort that too i spose lol.

McPikie
09-02-2006, 11:39
If you have the wheel off, a decent flat driver down one of the disk venins and lean it against the caliper. Always works for me as my saxo wheels don't allow access to the hub nuts :roll:

It's usually track rod ends I suffer with, having to pressure them as I slowly undo them.

Really ought to get myself a buzz gun

2 live
09-02-2006, 12:14
or pair of wheel wheelnuts left in the hub, with wheel off, and a big bar between em and down to the ground, or try applying the brakes..lol

Crossers
10-02-2006, 16:21
Never got to do it, lost the fecking locking wheel nut key :evil:

None of the "Universal" locking wheel nut removers have worked either. Marvelous.

Also, the front breaks are not contacting the disks properly. On the inside they're fine, but on the outside only the top 3/4 of the disk is being touched - o/s and n/s. Any ideas?

Paul

VIPERONE
10-02-2006, 18:00
pad might have slipped.. just gve it a nudge