PDA

View Full Version : Do I undertake this mamouth task??

McPikie
07-02-2006, 08:45
OK, I went to look at a willy one last night that needs a bit of work.

It's basically been in my mates garage for about 4 months now as it needs a box and clutch. However, they are struggling to source one and have basically left it to die in the corner.

Now, looking at it properly, it needs a full paint. it's been banged into when it's been in there, both arches need replacing, laquer peeling off the roof etc etc. Now, my mate is a painter by rade and tells me he will mint it up for me for £500. That's the arches sorted and a full blow over.

I think the box and clutch would probably cost me about the same to find and fit. So, that's a grand there.

If the lad who owns it is willing to sell it me, is it worth doing............... or do I just keep my eyes out for one that's fine?

It would be nice to restore it back to it's former glory, but the car is on 117k, which does worry me slightly.

Help me decide.

PS, do willy 1's have sunroofs??

katbloke
07-02-2006, 08:56
Willy 1s dont have or shouldnt have sunroofs
117k isnt much more than average mileage, 500 quid for a spray and arches is a damned good price if a quality job is done, clutches are easy to get and not too expensive but a gearbox is tricky you could try infinicar or perhaps mat brown or others here might know of other sources.

And imo if the car is straight and not rotten its worth fixing up adjust your purchse offer accordingly

McPikie
07-02-2006, 09:00
Hmmmm.

See, I wasn't too sure whether it was a proper willy or not when I saw the sunroof.

Are there any other distinguising factors to look for signs of it being a fake? As it did look like it had wide track on the front

J o n
07-02-2006, 09:06
I think sunroofs were an option at the time with some dealers... but not 100% sure... i'd get someone off here to look at it first personally.

McPikie
07-02-2006, 09:23
Do they have a plaque inside??

katbloke
07-02-2006, 09:50
there will be a plaque below the three oil gauges with a number on and a blue w, check to see if the engine has a tubular 4 branch manifold and not a cast one, valvers are cast theres something different about the fuel rail too not sure on that engine type will be f7r and get the reg number and search through a database such as aa or rac to see what inof ya get on that number

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/carbuying/vehicle_data_search

Rich
07-02-2006, 09:53
willy 1's had a sunroof as a factory option and yes it should have a plaque

McPikie
07-02-2006, 10:39
J928 ENN

Manufacturer RENAULT
Model CLIO 16V
Body type 3 DOOR HATCHBACK
Colour BLUE
Fuel type PETROL
Date manufactured 30 December 1992
Number of previous owners 9
Last owner change 17 January 2005

I take it my dreams have been shattered :cry: Looks like it's just a normal valver

Illusion
07-02-2006, 10:43
J928 ENN

Manufacturer RENAULT
Model CLIO 16V
Body type 3 DOOR HATCHBACK
Colour BLUE
Fuel type PETROL
Date manufactured 30 December 1992
Number of previous owners 9
Last owner change 17 January 2005

I take it my dreams have been shattered :cry: Looks like it's just a normal valver

Sorry to hear that fella, Willy 1's started on an L plate/1993 if i'm correct...

Buy my Willy...:twisted: http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9549

katbloke
07-02-2006, 11:02
yep willy 1s are l reg and begin in 1993 so what you have there is a valver williams lookalike walk away or give him 50 quid break it and sell the parts on here :D

J o n
07-02-2006, 11:02
well, if it has the wide track it might be worth getting anyway as that's worth almost a grand easy. wont be a lot of work to get it to 2.0 either, worth seeing If he'll sell it cheap. A rough valver that runs is prolly worth about £200-500 depending on condition, but could be a bargain to be had for a track day car, or just to mint out.

McPikie
07-02-2006, 11:11
Hmmmm, but it needs a gear box and a whole lotta paint too.

I don't think it's worth it when i can get a clean valver for £1500 that doesn't need any work.

Ah well, the search continues :(

J o n
07-02-2006, 11:22
there's some cheap ones on the autotrader at the moment, couple there for 2k that might be worth looking at...

McPikie
07-02-2006, 11:38
I like the look of that black one on turbines.

Also waiting for D33LER off here to get back to me about that Hybrid

J o n
07-02-2006, 12:15
hybrids are the future, if I had my time again i'd not have bothered with the Williams... although now a good hybrid goes for about the same... tough one really!

I get the impression your mechanically competent and could convert one? if so might be best building one from a good shell and get a nice new/rebuilt engine and throwing that in... then cam'ing the mofo and going Scooby hunting :lol:

McPikie
07-02-2006, 15:48
I go scooby hunting in my VTR mate :lol:

Okies, I'm still thinking about this willy rep now.

How do I tell if it's a will engine or a 1.8 16v?

Are there any distinguising factors? I'll go back down tonight and give it a thorough look over. Still might be worth saving

u33db
07-02-2006, 17:38
I go scooby hunting in my VTR mate :lol:

Okies, I'm still thinking about this willy rep now.

How do I tell if it's a will engine or a 1.8 16v?

Are there any distinguising factors? I'll go back down tonight and give it a thorough look over. Still might be worth saving

Sadly all the visual stuff can be swapped between 1.8 and 2ltr (such as the exhaust manifold/dipstick etc which normally give the game away)...100% certain way would be to get to the engine plate but will mean unbolting a lot of gear...

McPikie
07-02-2006, 22:43
OK, went for another look, and I think it may be a hybrid, but I may be wrong. This is the fanimold:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/McPikie/Photo-0089.jpg

and this is the loom over the inlet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/McPikie/Photo-0092.jpg

As you can see, it's obviously seen some play, which makes me think its had a transplant somehwere along the line.

I'm still waiting to hear from him

dan-hipgrave
07-02-2006, 22:49
thats a valver manifold, but it could still be a hybrid, best to check the engine code - should be F7R for 2.0 and F7P for 1.8

Martin
07-02-2006, 22:51
Thats a 1.8 16v manifold....but that tells you nothing really. Best way to tell is to drive it! Take someone who is clued up if you've never had much experience of the 16v/willy..

McPikie
07-02-2006, 22:58
Where is the engine code located??

Coops
07-02-2006, 23:03
front of the block, on the right as you look at it next to the dipstick tube! use a mirror n a good light with engine in situ!! 8)

MatBrown
07-02-2006, 23:05
But these can be swapped also!

Mat.

Coops
07-02-2006, 23:09
tru! get it runnin n get someone who knows both engines well to take it for a spin, job done!! 8)

McPikie
07-02-2006, 23:21
gearbox is bolloxed though.

Still might be worth doing, depending on how much he wants

steveos_16valver
07-02-2006, 23:25
OK, I went to look at a willy one last night that needs a bit of work.

It's basically been in my mates garage for about 4 months now as it needs a box and clutch. However, they are struggling to source one and have basically left it to die in the corner.

Now, looking at it properly, it needs a full paint. it's been banged into when it's been in there, both arches need replacing, laquer peeling off the roof etc etc. Now, my mate is a painter by rade and tells me he will mint it up for me for £500. That's the arches sorted and a full blow over.

I think the box and clutch would probably cost me about the same to find and fit. So, that's a grand there.

If the lad who owns it is willing to sell it me, is it worth doing............... or do I just keep my eyes out for one that's fine?

It would be nice to restore it back to it's former glory, but the car is on 117k, which does worry me slightly.

Help me decide.

PS, do willy 1's have sunroofs??

wouldnt get very far!!

malbon
08-02-2006, 00:46
is he your mate or is he trying to stitch u up....jesus...first its a willy and then its not...then its a hybrid and then its not...JUST FCUCKING ASK HIM :roll: ...and breathe.

J o n
08-02-2006, 08:51
is he your mate or is he trying to stitch u up....jesus...first its a willy and then its not...then its a hybrid and then its not...JUST FCUCKING ASK HIM :roll: ...and breathe.

chill :roll:

McPikie
08-02-2006, 10:21
I don't know the guy, and to be fair, I don't think I am gonna bother now.

Going to look at a nice little naples valver tonight.

u33db
08-02-2006, 10:35
As you can see, it's obviously seen some play, which makes me think its had a transplant somehwere along the line.

I don't know how you can say that - its a standard 16v manifold and the loom is missing insulation...in all honesty all that shows is it hasn't been maintained. I think by the sounds of it theres more chance its a shed of a 1.8 than a hybrid TBH!