PDA

View Full Version : Bumpsteer

Clio_GTT
06-02-2006, 21:01
Anyone tried to combat it on a williams ?

http://www.scdyne.com/images/suspension/bumplinks.gif

http://photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/?action=view&current=cooke.jpg

doing things like this....

LotuzClioWilliams
06-02-2006, 22:00
Is bumpsteer common on Willies? I thought it wasn't, but mine is very sensitive. Thus far I blamed my tyres (Sportrac2's), but maybe all Willies are as sensitive as mine?

Justin..
06-02-2006, 22:05
what the hell is bump steer :?

LotuzClioWilliams
06-02-2006, 22:09
Your front wheels turn when you go over a bump. Can be very annoying when you try to accelerate very fast and the front wants to go left and right instead of straight ahead.

BenR
06-02-2006, 22:12
If your car is excessively lowered and your steering arms are either at too low an angle, parallel to the ground or inverse, then you will be suffering from bump steer.

Its a good idea to try and sort it, IF your into your handling and your car is excessively lowered.

LotuzClioWilliams
06-02-2006, 22:15
It's not lowered anymore. I put the original springs back on and it's still sensitive. New wishbones with bushes too. And the steering column has been welded.

BenR
06-02-2006, 22:18
then bumpsteer issues wont be too sever on yours and within factory tolerances.

Coops
06-02-2006, 23:29
mines well low and doesnt do it much! lucky me!! :P

although can be a little skitish when proper bootin it, not that i've had chance yet cuz its been damp for ages! :(

richy
07-02-2006, 00:09
i think most clio 16v/williams sit with wishbones angled slightly up or level with the subframe/road, not really a problem with bumpsteer on mine, its std height anyway so will be prettymuch normal!

Purple
07-02-2006, 00:38
Agree with BenR. A standard Williams is one of the fastest car to drive when a fast corner turns bumpy. The steering should jiggle about a little but it should still be quite easy to track the line. Check that springs, shocks and rubber mountings are in decent condition (front and rear). After that, I would suspect the tyre and tyre pressure.

LotuzClioWilliams
07-02-2006, 07:48
Must be the tyres then.

Mattie
07-02-2006, 12:25
Your front wheels turn when you go over a bump. Can be very annoying when you try to accelerate very fast and the front wants to go left and right instead of straight ahead.

mine dus this....easy 2 correct though plus usualy only dus it on shit roads....my tires are shizle as well though :|

stew
07-02-2006, 14:04
I get this a lot. Wasnt sure if anyone else did..but it seems they do!

My car is 16v track, lowered a lot on ultimate coilovers. Any easy solutions to this?

does willy track help at all?

Mattie
07-02-2006, 16:19
I get this a lot. Wasnt sure if anyone else did..but it seems they do!

My car is 16v track, lowered a lot on ultimate coilovers. Any easy solutions to this?

does willy track help at all?

well mine a williams so id say the track wont help ...mines not even lowered either! lol

Clio_GTT
07-02-2006, 17:30
as std they naturally bumpsteer but its at a tolerated level which is acceptable, for the more serious track nutters and hillclimbers you may want to try and combat it, this can be done by spacing the balljoint and trackrod ends from the hub. This can be done easily with rose joints (rod ends) and machined spacers or threaded bar.

check this out http://www.griggsracing.com/gallery/69GR350/A-Arm%20&%20Bumpsteer%20kit.jpg

see how the track rod end has been spacered from the hub.