PDA

View Full Version : gasket help please...valver

freebone16v
06-02-2006, 17:24
i am looking at changing my rocker cover and my inlet and have been told that i will need to replace the

Inlet gasket
Rocker gasket and
Throttle Body Gasket

now i have spoken to gsf car parts and they want £60 for all of those..does anyone know

1) if i have to change those parts
2) if so can i get them cheaper

cheers neil

Coops
06-02-2006, 17:33
u dont need to take the throttle body off if the new inlet manifold has a TB on it, but the other two u will need.

unless u can salvage the old one, stick it onto a cornflakes packet and cut out your own, cuz thats all they are i think is cardboard. some of the guys on retro renault have definatly used cornflake packet rocker gaskets i know for sure!!

steveos_16valver
06-02-2006, 18:19
try andyspares/cafco

freebone16v
06-02-2006, 18:29
cheers coops and stevo

ok..this night sound terrible..but as i have never worked in an engine i will ask..what are these three gaskets, what do they do and where will i locate them?

i am pritty sure i know but want to be 100% sure

Coops
07-02-2006, 00:08
no danger matey!!

okay first heres the engine!!hehe!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/The%20Restoration/jeff.jpg

red circle is around joint beteen throttle body(TB) and inlet mainifold(IM) which is where the throttle body gasket goes, red blobs show top two bolts holding the TB to the IM and there are 2 more hidden behind my pipercross, so that needs to be removed first!! get them four bolts off and the TB comes off, pop on new gasket, bolt it up n job done!

yellow arrow is rocker cover, the yellow blobs indicate where the 16 bolts holding it to the cylinder head are located, to get to most of the ones in the middle u have to remove the plug leads and the plastic cover (held by three bolts) from the rocker cover then undo the 16 bolts holding it down to get it off.

blue arrow is inlet manifold, bit trikier to get off with engine in situ. you have to remove the cover on it, then the fuel rail and pipe work then the brackets holding the power steering pump on so unfortunatly its bonnet raditor and fan removal time aswell!then you shud just about be able to get to the i think its 9 little nuts holding it on!

when replacing the gaskets, ensure both faces of metal onto either side of the new gasket are clean and perfectly smooth to ensure a good seal with no leaks! no need for gasket compound or anyhthing, just bolt em back up good n tight!!

Coops

freebone16v
07-02-2006, 00:16
radiator and fan removal...holy shit..bigger job than i thought..how do i do those...lol

was gonna be taking the bonnet off anyway

Coops
07-02-2006, 00:57
erm, buy a haynes manual!!! its quit simple, just undo everything step by step thats stoppin u gettin the fan n rad out, oh n make sure u keep note of what order stuff comes off in n what goes where!!

freebone16v
07-02-2006, 11:50
so if i am taking the radiator off...does that mean i have to drain the coolant...then redo all that then..

yeah may buy a haynes but any help from here would be much appreciated to

Jamie.
07-02-2006, 13:52
where are u from mate. id suggest u pm ppl like mat brown (midlands), 2live and gunner (both n/w) to see if they will help u. my head gasget is going too so id like to learn how to change that.

freebone16v
07-02-2006, 15:23
i would ask for help mate but i live in the south west..knowhere near anybody from wc really